JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been considering getting an FFL as an enhancement for my business, (I do not sell guns, nor expect to, I would simply have it for my home address.) and to possibly have an extra service to offer my students, especially in the future when (if?) I594 passes and every firearm transfer needs an FFL assist. o_O
After looking into it a bit, the added bonus of getting guns and ammo at warehouse cost would greatly benefit my students also, as I provide guns and ammo in my classes. (Just airguns in my initial safety class, and a .22 pistol for my other classes as a gentle introduction to shooting, unless they have their own...)
Does anyone have any other pros or cons I haven't thought of?
Thank you for your time...:)

If you want to surrender your right to privacy and have no objection to ATF agents performing No Knock Raids w/o a warrant :"To check your books", as they will at least once a year,,,go for it

I see the only downside as added complexity to your business and life. I personally have never had a FFL but I have had a user of high explosives permit. Keeping paperwork, meeting storage and security requirements and the added responsibility do make an impact. That would be my biggest consideration is if you do not intend for it to be a actual part of your business, Will the benefits be enough to justify the extra time you will invest. Things like this we tend to look at what we will gain and forget about what it will cost in time and effort.

I think that might help expand you business as long as all laws are followed I don't see a downside.

Yeah, the laws are always intimidating to me...o_O

If you want to surrender your right to privacy and have no objection to ATF agents performing No Knock Raids w/o a warrant :"To check your books", as they will at least once a year,,,go for it

I don't really think I have that much privacy anyway in today's world, do you? (Unless you are off the grid, and even then...;) )

I see the only downside as added complexity to your business and life. I personally have never had a FFL but I have had a user of high explosives permit. Keeping paperwork, meeting storage and security requirements and the added responsibility do make an impact. That would be my biggest consideration is if you do not intend for it to be a actual part of your business, Will the benefits be enough to justify the extra time you will invest. Things like this we tend to look at what we will gain and forget about what it will cost in time and effort.

I do not need or want the added complexity..HA! However, beyond the initial paperwork to aquire the FFL, I don't expect to be utilizing it a huge amount, so I would think, unless there are mandatory reports whether you have used it or not, I'm thinking (hoping) it wouldn't add too much time...again, since I don't have a storefront. I would only be using it for personal benefit and assisting in legal transfers, which you would of course be vigilant about recording anyway...I will look into the expected time requirements before applying..

Thanks, guys! :)

Hmmm...let me clarify--when I said 'personal gain', I really meant for my personal business, but I don't sell guns, I teach Firearm Safety to women...so I am assuming an FFL would enable me to assist my students in transfers if they need one, and by charging a fee, it would be a business transaction. I could also purchase firearms for my classes at cost, a business expense, which would in the long run cut business costs and help me personally...;) right?
Correct me if I am wrong...I can take it! :)

That is great! I ran into that same question when I was doing my research. The 2 main questions. Doing it for personal gain and allowing the ATF to search your "business". All the details seemed too much for me. But if you already are in that field, I think it could be a great addition! :)

If you would somehow gain now and might gain heaps if and when in the near future X happens, why not?
Oh, and your avatar looks like my three cousins up around your lands.

I have been considering getting an FFL as an enhancement for my business, (I do not sell guns, nor expect to, I would simply have it for my home address.) and to possibly have an extra service to offer my students, especially in the future when (if?) I594 passes and every firearm transfer needs an FFL assist. o_O
After looking into it a bit, the added bonus of getting guns and ammo at warehouse cost would greatly benefit my students also, as I provide guns and ammo in my classes. (Just airguns in my initial safety class, and a .22 pistol for my other classes as a gentle introduction to shooting, unless they have their own...)
Does anyone have any other pros or cons I haven't thought of?
Thank you for your time...:)

Home based or store based business with small volumes do not get a big discounts in guns and ammo. Also most of big gun stores get all the new guns and most of the ammo. Lots of book keeping also. There

Bear in mind that BATF is a licensing AND taxation agency. Essentially they license firearms businesses and do expect that profits be realized. They will either not issue or revoke a license if they deem the level of business insufficient.
Also there are security concerns on their part. You must demonstrate secure storage and location security. These requirements are part of the licensing and don't have anything to do with whether you intend to operate as a gun seller.

You will have to have local permits and licenses in place and distances from schools and other 'sensitive' locations are set. Generally, there is a requirement of regular business hours and if the licensed premises are within a home there needs to be a seperate business space with seperate entry available for customers.

It goes on, and on, but you can get all the information needed from the BATF website. Generally they are friendly and supportive of business operators with activities within the scope of their responsibilities.

Bear in mind that BATF is a licensing AND taxation agency. Essentially they license firearms businesses and do expect that profits be realized. They will either not issue or revoke a license if they deem the level of business insufficient.
Not true, at least not in all cases. I run an engraving business and wanted to get my FFL to allow me to (legally) engrave firearms. There is absolutely no revenue going to the BATF for anything I do yet they deemed me fit to issue a license.
Also there are security concerns on their part. You must demonstrate secure storage and location security. These requirements are part of the licensing and don't have anything to do with whether you intend to operate as a gun seller.
Please post the pertinent regulations guide that stipulates "secure storage and location security". I'm a fairly new FFL holder and the agent that interviewed me didn't mention anything about this nor have I seen anything about it in the regulations guide.

Generally, there is a requirement of regular business hours and if the licensed premises are within a home there needs to be a seperate business space with seperate entry available for customers.
I run my business out of my home and the interviewing agent had no problem with it and didn't mention any need to separate my business from my home. So, again, please show me the regulations that stipulate this requirement...

They do want to know your "regular" business hours and they are on the application. I told the agent that I although I do have regular hours I do everything by appointment and it's very likely that if someone came by unannounced that there would be nobody here. He said that really wasn't going to be an issue for a couple of reasons - There are only a handful of agents available and a small business like mine isn't likely to be inspected/contacted unless they need to trace a serial number and it happens to involve me. Second, since they are based out of Portland and I'm in Eugene, they really don't want to make an unannounced trip down here to see me and find a house with nobody home.

You do have a big responsibility when selling a firearm but if you do the paperwork correctly then there really isn't much room for a problem. To sell a firearm there are really only two things you have to do, run a background check and enter it in your log book. For me to engrave a firearm I only have to do either/both of those in very specific circumstances so, in reality, my paperwork is almost non-existent.

I say, fill out and submit the application and ask lots of questions of the agent when they come to interview you.

Where do people like you get this kind of misinformation ?

ATF does not perform no knock raids, to check your books. But they will if you have an ffl and your making and selling meth in your basement!!

Some people always leave out the details before they post!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top