JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So being elderly (whatever that means) having pre existing medical conditions (whatever that means) have a physically fit, possibly drug impaired, unjustifiably and irrationally angry, (whatever that means) that is making verbal threats that they are going to beat the living bubblegum out of me, wouldn't justify a reasonable fear of imminent serious injury or death?
It's all about the totality of the circumstances!
So a response of, I'll shoot you in the face, does nothing but elicit a response of, "I can beat the bubblegum out of you before you can draw your gun", doesn't increase my fear or risk of serious harm?
What if he asks me if I'd ever heard of the 17 foot rule?
Would that be a justification for fearing serious injury?
What if your previous experience spoke of someone who is likely in the midst of an amphetamine rage and the fact that he was angry over a disrespectful tilt of the head and eye contact.
So we have an unarmed person, and this elderly, physically impaired individual facing the above set of circumstances, wouldn't be justified in shooting this man in the face, if he attacked?
Well, I guess my use of verbal judo and the glint in my eye, was enough to keep us all from finding out how this would have ended, if the enraged tweeker had followed through with his threat, because I would have without hesitation followed through with my response to his initial threat.
And I would honestly love to have anyone of you on the jury.
ps. He didn't say bubblegum.
Let me know how it plays out for you. We each have our own standard. Line in the sand. Blah blah blah. Do what you want. Just own the consequences.

By the way it's the 21 foot rule. Not 17. And words are just words.

Ability. Opportunity. Intent.

Last Edited:
Get your license asap then go get some good training on the use of lethal force (Ceribus?) practice, practice and practice some more. Lots of good vids out there, Mas Ayoob is one of the best to watch, low key and he knows the laws. Relax and stay safe, you'll be fine.

I'm an older American not in tip top shape. And yeah, I'm not always in condition orange or higher. Nor do I expect that the criminal will always telegraph/give me an opportunity to decern his/her criminal intent. So then anyway.........it's my opinion that......21 foot is probably too close for me (and maybe you too).

Given the situation. If, I'm on your Jury........you'll probably get more than just 21 feet.
LOL.......as if 22-23 feet is safe? Yeah......F that.

Aloha, Mark

I don't believe in 21 foot rule other than as a reminder of the limited time you have to draw and fire. If someone was attacking you with a knife 21 feet away you have that much time before they get to you. It doesn't mean when they get to you, you just stand there like a mannequin and let him stab you and you fall over dead.

Any blocking movement with your non gun hand means you've restricted the attack enough to finish drawing and firing (if you haven't already) and it's game over for knife guy. You may end up with a cut hand or arm but other guy will be dead. Clint smith has a great drill on video somewhere of getting your left hand up to block the attack while drawing and firing from the hip with the right. It seems to me I maybe saw a Col. jeff Cooper video on the same thing somewhere.

Assume you will be in an awkward position and drawing/shooting under duress (including being on the ground) and then you won't be taken off guard when it happens is my opinion. Don't get locked into relaxed slow fire from the same stance every time. I don't think real world encounters will go down the same as slow fire at the range. Repeat the same smooth draw stroke under multiple possible scenarios (do it dry fire for safety not live fire especially if new to guns) and that will give you a calm head and confidence that you can stop the threat no matter what the scenario is.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top