JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good luck with your Cherry trees. I myself got one bowl of perfect cherries last year, but at least I get some target practice.

250rebel005.jpg

Sheridan blue streak. +1

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that have the "nitro piston" technology? What did you think of how it shoots? Supposed to eliminate the double-recoil found in spring guns.

Sun, both OFARICK and I have the Nitro Piston and it is my understanding it doesn't eliminate the double-recoil as you still need to use an Artillary Hold with it. But you can cock it and leave it cocked indefinately, it is quieter, smoother, and dead on! We like ours a lot! No Springs for me!

Yeah it's funny about that artillery hold,I've always shot offhand like that. Never have been one of the "deathgrip the fore-end" guys...guess that's why I don't run vertical grips on any of my AR15s. Just can't get myself used to the feeling of em and always end up gripping behind em by the delta ring.

So fortunately,my learning curve for accuracy with my new air rfile has been short :D. Just never heard it called the artillery hold before.

I have a R1 also (had 2 but ForestGump got one THANKS Forest)
The Book THE BEEMAN R1 helped me alot
They take a little while to learn to shoot Hold them loose, keep the screws tight, and let it move around when it lets go works very well
The one I have left is tuned (the book describes how to do it) and is way smoother to cock and the firing cycle is alot smoother in recoil
They eat cheap scopes and the scope needs to be recoil proofed in 2 directions instead of one like a powder gun scope
Mine will (has) eat a Leupold up, it is the best Springer made IMHO
I love to shoot it

Hey folks,looking at buying an air rifle for stepping up my annual starling genocide program :gun14:

This will be in town killing the little bast@rds before they nest in my shop and decimate my cherry tree.

Any experience/opinions/comments are welcome.
This will be my first real air rifle,been limping by with my 9 year old's crossman and finally had enough of that:bash:

Thanks,Sean

.Cities around here forbid the discharge of air guns as well as firearms so; if one were going to go to war on the cursed starlings, one may consider the .22 CB rounds. Quieter than an air gun. Had a neighbor that fed the damn things, there would be a flock on the wires in front of her house, glad she moved. I entertained fantasies of home-built claymore mines. :s0114::s0112::s0114:;) Joking here
not a threat!

Don't get me wrong,I don't think it's legal to fire an air rifle in town. But it's quiet and if for some reason a cop comes by I'm not standing there with a .22 in my hand.

"Just a bb gun officer" :D

Got my first confirmed kill yesterday.

Sun, both OFARICK and I have the Nitro Piston and it is my understanding it doesn't eliminate the double-recoil as you still need to use an Artillary Hold with it. But you can cock it and leave it cocked indefinately, it is quieter, smoother, and dead on! We like ours a lot! No Springs for me!

Dan,

Thanks for the report on these - I've been debating between a Nitro Piston & RWS 34 (spring gun). It's good to know what to expect if I go the nitro piston route. Wasn't sure since the nitro piston is relatively new.

Sun

+1 on buying an "Air Rifle" also IF you buy a MAGNUM springer buy a GOOD air rifle scope. The springers will tear up a normal scope in short order. The reverse recoil is what does it.
I have not shot but hear good things about the new nitro piston guns. Basically it is a gas cylinder that is compressed rather than a steel spring. This is supposed to be much kinder. Also Magnum springers require a different shooting posture. You have to let the front end float on your palm rather than hold the frontend tight like a normal rifle.
One of the real nice shooters is the "Benjamin/Sheridan" pump up rifle - i would use 177 or 22 with the nod to 177 for small birds. UNLIKE springers which should NEVER be left cocked, the pump up rifles should be stored with 1 or 2 pumps on the gun to keep the seals seated.
Hope this helps.

Bill aka NWBEAR

I'm pretty certain that the Theoben 'Dampa' resilient airgun scope mounts can be got in the USA, if not, then they should be. Else, as one poster notes, you'll be buying a new scope with every tin of pellets. A conventional scope, BTW, does NOT withstand the double impulse recoil characteristics of a springing air gun.

Ask my my next door neighbour about how to wreck an nice older Burris [off my .308], in less than five shots.

tac, back in the yUK

As far as the recoil and optics damage goes...does all of this fly out the window if you use a "real" scope? I'd like to think that if a scope can handle a 7-8# 300winmag it'll take any air rifle in stride....

They make special scopes for spring guns. Regular scopes will not hold up to the dougle whammy of the spring gun recoil.

I have a Whisper and can tell you from personal experience that the piston upgrade is great, the "Charlie da Tuna" custom trigger is a MUST HAVE ($34). It will feel like a whole new gun

Magnum Springers get a bad rap..if you take the time to learn how to shoot them, find out which pellet your rifle loves and get the custom trigger (GAMO's are notorious for crap heavy triggers) you will hit starlings at 75 yards no problem.

(BTW - Leapers make great scopes. Got mine off Pyramid air for under $100..including high ring mounts)

OK, I bought a Winchester (I don't think Winchester actually made it) 177 cal springer last year. Where do I go to find out about a good trigger for it?
The one it has is terrible. It is creepy and spongy and heavy.

I to enjoy shooting Starlings with a passion. But if its a Cherry tree you want to protect the easiest way to insure you get a crop is to buy a net. Go to WILCO or AL's or Portland Nursery and buy a Cherrie Tree net. Then go to the Home store and by a lenght of 1" PVC pipe 20' long or 2) 10's and a connector. Use the PVC pipe to place the net over top of the cherrie tree. Screws the birds out of any cherries. Just make sure it reaches within a couple ft of the ground.

The netting will also help stop splitting and sun burn on the trees.

Before I bought my trigger I emailed the guys over at the Charlie site and they responded the same day. They have been in the air rifle world a long time (he is "retired" and does it as a hobby) and would know how to help you or where to send you.

Shoot'em an email ..what the hell can it hurt huh? :)

OK, I tried to email him. My browser does not recognize his address, so I went and tried to get onto his website. It didn't like me as a visitor, but would allow me to be a member. Unfortunately before I can actually get onto the site, someone must approve my application, so I guess I will wait until I hear from them.

I did a search and found an article he wrote about tuning triggers. Later when I hve more time, I will take the stock off of my airgun and see if I feel like I can do the job myself. I have done some trigger jobs on some of my firearms, but never on an airgun. It looks as if I will need a spring compressor, but until I have a look at what I have, I won't know what kind of compressor There are only a couple of dozen types of spring compressors on the market today.

there are tons of "build it yourself" spring compressor plans but I did mine without one...but it did take a buddies help knocking the pin out while I compressed the spring.

Email me..I'll forward the instructions that are sent with a new trigger purchase. It describes how to compress the spring without a "compressor" device.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top