Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Should I build an AR pistol?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Modeler, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Way back in December I ordered two AR lowers from Brownell's; they came in this week. I'm debating what to do with them. My original plan was to build one into an AR pistol and build the second into a "normal" AR (16" barrel, adjustable stock, etc...) to go along with my current two AR's (a 5.56 SBR and a .22 dedicated-upper AR)

Now that I think about it more, I'm not sure there's any point to building an AR pistol when I already have an AR SBR. It's kind of the same thing, isn't it? What do you guys think?

2. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

Since you already have a SBR I'd say no. But, it's your money. Do what you want with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

3. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

If you hunt or fish then a AR pistol is a great sidearm to carry due to the ability of having large magazines & its not limited like whatever you're hunting with & it still has pistol/sidearm status. If you coyote or varmint hunt the ammo and mags are obviously interchangeable. Can triangular sling it around your back as a secure open carry or put it in a small backpack that carries your dressing gear etc.... Pack that & a 100 round drum & you have the best defensive pistol available imho. I am not worried about bears n cougars as much as stupid people.

4. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

There are many choices in configurations. Do you have an 18" SPR type yet? 20+ inch varmint rifle? KISS carbine with only iron sights in A1 or A2 configuration? Lightweight rifle/carbine? Heavey bull barreled rifle/carbine?

Pistol would be at the bottom of my list. The only reason I have one is because I lived in WA. I never got it to run right because I refuse to put a buffer tube on a pistol that is longer than the barrel. If you are going to have that receiver extension sticking way out there you might as well put a shoulder stock on it.

5. chariot13

This should fix any problems with your AR pistol feeding. $5 part & it fixed my carbon 15 so it always works reliably. No more failures of any type & I got to keep the standard pistol buffer tube/spring.

BCM SOPMOD Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kit

6. JAFO

Nah. That wouldn't have changed anything. I wasn't using a standard buffer. Like I said I wouldn't want a buffer tube sticking out that was longer than the barrel (6.5" in my case). I was using the M1S tube/spring. I have some ideas on how to fix it but don't have a machine shop to build the custom bolt carrier. I'm not sure I'm going to bother with it now that I have SBRs.

7. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I think everything is still ammo dependant and I fear that the ammo shortage may be a stratigic move by TPTB. what ever you build make sure you have ammo ahead of time.

8. chariot13

No I know.. I meant standard pistol buffer that it comes with. I am using the 4 inch buffer tube & 7 & 1/2 inch barrel it came with. Works excellent with this part in, it had failure to feed issues once every 90 rounds before, The most I've tried so far with it in is 400 rounds in a single day and no failures. That was before the ammo craze of course.

9. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Like I said, I have a 5.56 SBR and a standard AR lower with a dedicated .22 upper. I'll definitely build a "standard" lightweight 16" AR. The question is what to do with the other. I'm thinking either a 24" bull barrel scoped varmint rifle or an M16A1-inspired build with a 20" barrel, fixed stock, triangular foreend, etc...

Or a pistol.

10. JAFO

I like choice A, B, C, D, E, F, etc. :thumbup:

11. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I think that 6.5 barrel was the reason it wouldn't run right.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

12. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Has anyone ever been able to hit anything better then a 12" group at 25 yards with an AR pistol? The one I seen look to be the least ergonomic version of a handgun you could come up with. Now if spray and pray is your MO then they should be awesome. I prefer to actually be able to hold my handgun up and use the sights to hit something the size of a bowling pin or clay pidgeon at 25 yards.

13. nwtech

nwtech Oregon Member

If you could find ammo a 300 AAC Blackout rifle or SBR would be fun.

14. chariot13

Here's a guy shooting around 12 inch groups at 100 yards with a AR pistol. Last 3 shots are at about a 4" group. Main thing is having a sling so you can put pressure forward, it allows you to hit under 12" at 25-50 yards fairly easily. Mind you this guy is shooting a little fast but he is shooting from the standing position as he should to gauge its accuracy. The second video is of a guy bench testing his AR pistol at 25 yards. About a inch and a half group with all 30 rounds.
    Sig P556 Pistol - Just A Novelty? - YouTube

AR Pistol Accuracy Test 25 Yards - YouTube

15. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

I so badly want to do this, or maybe 6.8 SPC, but then I think about my ammunition, what I load for, and what other things I have already run. I have pared down to 3 calibers, besides .22lr and 12ga. I really have a hard time adding another, particularly oddball cartridge given the current state of things.

16. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

I love my 9mm pistol but if I had a SBR I wouldn't want/need it

17. TDH

TDH Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

All day long with my 9 and 22- I rest the buffer tube on top of my shoulder and hold it tight. That's only until my stamp comes back though, then I'll use the stock like it should be used. :)