JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep and yep. I find that figuring out where to point a firearm in the store always feels a bit awkward. A designated "aim at that" target that other customers and employees can't walk in front of really would help.

Well I started a thread a year or maybe 2 years ago kinda like this.
When I bought my Kimber 1911 I bought it at a pawn shop.
Used I asked The guy behind the counter can I look at that gun .
So he opens the counter and grabs it and hands it to me.
Didn't take the mag out didn't check the chamber nothing.
So I did lol.
I didn't say anything to him because I was going to buy it and was going to haggle the price.
So I kept my mouth shut.

Whatever Lenny.....

For me......
Pick up the firearm and while making sure that the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction. Do your safety check. Which means.....

Revolver
Open the cylinder and check that it is empty.

Semi-Auto
Drop the magazine
Retract the slide and check that the chamber is empty.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I admit I'm a bit freaked out by negligent gun handling, even in a gun store. Hell, as I type this I'm at a firearms training class out of state. Last night I had dinner with a friend and he was waving around an (empty) pistol without any regard. He knew it was empty, I knew it was empty, but what's rule #1 of all firearms training? TREAT ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY ARE LOADED!

So for my 1,000th post thought I would throw out an thought grenade for some consideration. Really just looking for some feedback from the wise counsel that is NWF. How many times have we seen horrible muzzle control from people in gun stores...on both sides of the counter. Today, I asked to see a gun in a store. The employee pulled it out and proceeded to point it directly at my chest before (and while) he checked the chamber.

Most of the very poor gun handling I've seen has been from customers but seems like that it can be with employees as well. I understand that it can be difficult to look at a gun in a crowded store but I try to never flag anyone (after I personally have cleared the gun myself). I find the safest direction when checking out the sights and grip. Should employees, as tactfully as possible, guide people looking at guns to following basic gun safety rules? Should shops have a "direction of least consequence" for pointing guns? It just seems strange to me that we emphasize the rules of gun safety except at the point of purchase. Is this because it could scare off customers?

Just some thoughts and thanks for letting me stay around for 1,000 posts!
These threads come around periodically, and my pool of anecdotes is quite limited, so pardon me if I recycle.

When I was in LA for a bit, for work, I went to a shop called CAP Tactical for most of my gun needs. Not only were they very diligent about running every person through the state mandated safety drill, but when handing over a firearm for inspection they always said "that's downrange" and pointed to the back of the store.

Which was, if I'm honest, one of the reasons I preferred them.

I was in a store once when a large group of 20-something guys came in, maybe 5 total. One of them knew one of the clerks and after chatting for a bit the clerk went into the back and brought out a super-fancy looking AR-15 that he was buying himself to show the group. He came out with it in his hand and handed it over. As I rapidly backed away and put as many racks of heavy gear between me and them as I reasonably could, the group proceeded to pass it around, person to person, pointing the barrel all over the store, including at each other over and over. At NO TIME did any of them check the chamber, and it hadn't been checked in front of them by the clerk. So nobody in the group had no proof it was unloaded, but they pointed it at everyone and everything in the store with reckless abandon anyway.

I was not actually super worried, as this store was generally very good about clearing and checking chambers, so it would have been done in the back almost for certain, but that doesn't replace checking yourself. I was honestly just amazed, and a bit scared regarding who these people were that clearly all owned guns, that nobody in the entire group decided to check.

So yeah, gun-counter safety is a critical learning experience. Heck, I check the chamber even when it was just checked in front of me. You can't be too careful.

So yeah, gun-counter safety is a critical learning experience. Heck, I check the chamber even when it was just checked in front of me. You can't be too careful.
Yup, this. If anyone in a gun store allows a customer to point a gun at me I'm going to light up the clerk, in public, and demand a manager (you know, like a good Karen and Ken would). There is NO excuse for allowing this behavior, especially in a store that sells firearms. I'm usually pretty quiet, but I'm done with this behavior being allowed in stores.

a little late there?I started broaching the subjects at 3 and 4
Ha, I win: Started my daughter at 2. We're at the "guns and rifles are dangerous tools that you are not to ever touch without Dad present + if you see one, tell Mom or Dad about it."

Honestly, after that lesson and letting her play with a lightweight stock for a bit, she's lost all interest and now follows the above rule perfectly. I make a habit of testing her every few weeks.

Now, the fishing pole is much harder to control. The cat likes to chase the bobber so it's endless entertainment for a toddler...I can't seem to get it in her head that being wrapped in fishing line is a bad idea...still, it'll sink in eventually.

To the OP - I (obviously) believe that gun safety should begin very, very early. Growing up, I never learned these things and I taught myself how to shoot around age 22. As someone else said above, safety is a mindset. I think that far too many people have an inability to abstract or lack of imagination when thinking about how destructive guns are or can be...leading to rose colored glasses and God complexes. Perhaps firearms training and safety classes should come with EMT ride-alongs.

The employee pulled it out and proceeded to point it directly at my chest before (and while) he checked the chamber.
Well that's pretty beyond the pale. I wonder why he thought he was checking the chamber?

I understand that it can be difficult to look at a gun in a crowded store
During my captivity in LA (work related, now fixed) my favorite LGS was very good about this, and always informed customers which direction was 'downrange' before handing them a firearm. Loved it. THe one CA firearm law I'm not really miffed about is the one that says a buyer has to receive basic safety and handling training at time of purchase, and then must demonstrate a few basic operations (loading/clearing using an inert round and so on) in a safe manner before they can leave w/ the gun.

I hate laws in general, but that one is hard for me to really hate a lot.

* CAP Tactical is the shop in LA

I learned firearm safety and how to shoot at the age of 7 or 8, hunters ed at 11 or 12. In my early 20's, a few roomies of mine dubbed me "safety______", I didnt mind the moniker, due to my consideration to all of our safety. Only once have I been flagged in a gun shop, the fellow had been handed a rifle and then proceded to take aim and spin around, as he did so towards me, I ducked, and then moved well away, as he said "sorry" and pointed in a more appropriate manner. At least he said sorry and hopefully learned something, guy was older than me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top