JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should FFLs be posting in the Classified section?

• No..The Classifieds are for private party ads by members

Votes: 129 72.5%
  • Yes.. Ads are ads..

Votes: 49 27.5%

• Total voters
The big thing here that needs to be clarified is, all FFL's, if they are posting ads on NWFA, are basically using this site to help generate $$ for their business and, as per rule 4 of this site they are required to obtain Supporting Vendor status:

4. No member of the community can use the website to promote his/her commercial activities/products/services without a Supporting Vendor membership.

We use the funds from paying vendors and advertisers to keep this site running. As they're kind enough to help support the community, the least we can do in exchange is assure them their competitors are not getting the same benefits and the right to compete without cost. This includes non-business members repeatedly using the classifieds to turn a profit (for example, buying cheap ammunition at Wal-Mart then reselling here at higher prices). If you're interested in selling or advertising please use our contact us link at the bottom of the page.

For the most part, when this rule is brought to their attention, they DO elect to pay to become a Supporting Vendor. What they may not be aware of though is, as an SV member (no matter what Tier SV you are), ALL SV's have the ability to place ads in the
<broken link removed> section, which IS essentially the "FFL only" section that it seems most people want to see.

The key here is for those SV's (who don't have their own individual section) to realize that they need to be posting their SV ads in the <broken link removed> section and leaving the general classified sections for the one or two "specials" that they may have.

Perhaps if the "one or two" FFLs who seem to have caused this whole issue to get out of hand (as well as other SV's who post multiple ads in the general classifieds) would commit to using the SV Classified section this problem would solve itself?

As to the idea for limiting the number of ads people can post altogether... you all should know that this is, and has been, an ongoing discussion among the mods. So, stay tuned for Joey's decision on that.

ALL SV's have the ability to place ads in the <broken link removed> section, which IS essentially the "FFL only" section that it seems most people want to see.

Actually, I'd like to see a "F2F, unrecorded sale only" section. Maybe a SM-only sub-category? Like a couple of people have suggested, there are a lot of complaints coming from non-SMs, a point valid enough to convince me to become one. So, either browse/post for free and wade through the mixed ads, or become a member and gain access to a members-only ad category. Workable?

That being said, there are more ways to support a forum site than financially, and this is not an ads-only site. I think informative postings in the non-ad forums is just as supportive to the community as a whole as throwing a bone to keep the bandwidth flowing. I certainly took offense to the idea that my opinion was null since I hadn't chipped in yet. This site has allowed me to unload some extra stuff around the house and not just give it away, but I'm certainly not turning a profit.

Actually, I'd like to see a "F2F, unrecorded sale only" section. Maybe a SM-only sub-category? Like a couple of people have suggested, there are a lot of complaints coming from non-SMs, a point valid enough to convince me to become one. So, either browse/post for free and wade through the mixed ads, or become a member and gain access to a members-only ad category. Workable?

That being said, there are more ways to support a forum site than financially, and this is not an ads-only site. I think informative postings in the non-ad forums is just as supportive to the community as a whole as throwing a bone to keep the bandwidth flowing. I certainly took offense to the idea that my opinion was null since I hadn't chipped in yet. This site has allowed me to unload some extra stuff around the house and not just give it away, but I'm certainly not turning a profit.

I would love to see a FTF unrecorded sale only section! Keep it in the family!:s0155:

This entire thread is a good example of how individuals have several different ways that they'd like to see the FORUM present things in specific ways to suit their particular desires. Creating more and more sections of ever more specific types of classified ads is not the way to go though.

I for one prefer the structure as it is now rather than having to search through multiple different, specific sections for oh, a handgun for example.

If I might offer a suggestion, and I know some people hate it when this is mentioned, but if your particular focus is FTF trades of handguns... why would you waste your time browsing through the handgun section, and then getting upset because all the postings that you are seeing at the top of page 1 or 2 DON'T show any FTF trades (or whatever else it is that you specifically wanted to see), when really, all you have to do is use the <broken link removed> feature?

The Advanced Search is really quite robust in that you can plug in keywords of the specific thing(s) YOU are looking for, narrow the search to the specific classified section(s) that you want to search in, and get your very own list of the most recent postings of EXACTLY what it is that you want to see?

:paper:

This entire thread is a good example of how individuals have several different ways that they'd like to see the FORUM present things in specific ways to suit their particular desires. Creating more and more sections of ever more specific types of classified ads is not the way to go though.

I don't think there's a problem with mentioning "wouldn't it be cool if.." ideas. If enough community members like it, then voila. I for one am certainly not demanding a change. I think the current setup works, it would just be gee willickers cool if...

ZeroRing said:
If I might offer a suggestion, and I know some people hate it when this is mentioned, but if your particular focus is FTF trades of handguns... why would you waste your time browsing through the handgun section, and then getting upset because all the postings that you are seeing at the top of page 1 or 2 DON'T show any FTF trades (or whatever else it is that you specifically wanted to see), when really, all you have to do is use the <broken link removed> feature?

The Advanced Search is really quite robust in that you can plug in keywords of the specific thing(s) YOU are looking for, narrow the search to the specific classified section(s) that you want to search in, and get your very own list of the most recent postings of EXACTLY what it is that you want to see?

I have tried using the search feature, and the problem I run into is it isn't very robust at all. Let's say I want a Ruger 10/22: if someone listed it as a Ruger 10 22, the search function won't find it. In fact, I've searched for a 10/22, then browsed through the ads and found one listed exactly how I typed it into the search function. Also when it comes to F2F, very few people actually take the time to include the term in their post.

Now don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no issue browsing through the pages to see what's listed. I'm not the one to get upset if what I want isn't on the first page or even on the fifth page. Like I said before, it would just be neat if there were a separate category for people who all have the same intent or desire.

Now that I think about it, though, I retract my recommendation for a SM-only sub category. That would limit the exposure. So yea, I'd say leave it as it is.

I wonder how many people actually use the search button. I, myself, don't use it. When I go into the classifieds section I'm usually browsing for something new that I can usually trade one of my guns that I don't need anymore for. The ads on the first page are the newly posted ads of what people are offering and it gives me a good selection of what is out there. Also, if someone just posted a good deal on a gun I have been looking for it usually sells pretty quick so i would like to see it as soon as possible. But, is it fair to the seller to be bumped to the second page because a certain ffl fills up the whole first page with his ads?

I myself had a gun for sale when this certain ffl posted these ads. Was it fair for me to wait 7 days for a bump back up just to be bumped to the second page in 2 hours because a ffl took up the whole page with his ads?

If I was bumped to the second page in 2 hours because of individual sellers then I would be fine with that. Mainly because us, the individual seller, is mainly in it for the hobby and just looking for something new or a little side money.

This whole thing reminds me of corporate America. How the big corporations come in and the little guy goes out of business because they are "bigger and better".

How hard would it be to just type FFL in the title of the ad? Or at least somewhere in the ad. I would think stating the terms of the sale should be required.

I wouldn't be hard at all is the answer. Simplicity is always the best answer. Of course it would not address the bump off first page problem but it's very helpful.

It's a matter of adding a box to check on the AD submission page to identify NON-FFL or FFL, and a SEARCH Criteria that allows for a choice in the Search Drop Down menu of : ALL / NON-FFL / or FFL ONLY options in the dropdown. That way you can FILTER to the Users DELIGHT. That way the Staunch FTF ONLY buyers will ONLY SEE the ads that fit their desires, and not be bothered with FFL ads which , BELIEVE IT OR NOT, "some" people ARE interested in checking out. With this manner....... NON-FFL ads will NOT be displaced when someone with an FFL posts Bulk ads. The SEARCH function will at that point take care of the issue ONCE and for ALL. I am Very Certain that this can be done in minutes by adding these criteria.

I like browsing the adds for something that strikes my interest, usually not anything specific. My interest is not looking thru a catalog and ordering from a dealer. My opinion (I Repeat My Opinion) is that if you dont have it in your hands ready to sell at the time you post it..........dont post it for sale.

Ken, that is a great idea....... if you are not an FFL. Some of the items listed ARE indeed here. I am in business, and the products I offer are available within days. Usually 3 or less. This is called Marketing. What you may do as a NON-FFL is simply selling personal guns that you are ready to get rid of for "whatever reason". To do otherwise, REGULARLY, is basically Dealing guns without a license. This forum is NOT just for the casual seller. Marketing available products doesn't NOT mean that they have to be on site ready for sale INSTANTANEOUSLY upon request, though they may be. If you go to Sportsman's warehouse and they are out of stock you can order a gun, and wait 2-3 days like you do here. If you get what you want at a Reasonable price it is all that matters to MOST. I take orders and down payments, because I can't be ordering every gun that people request with no Skin in the game to secure the sale. Sportsmans would do the same in some circumstances. For anyone that has been in business before you know that INVENTORY rotting on the shelf is not advantageous to you. The Internet has allowed MANY people with Small businesses like me to be able to market products and services that are available without having to have HUGE amounts of money invested in order to even open the doors. I don't think that the Customers that I have already worked with would Agree with you on this. They are happy that I was here, and I was glad to help them out.

It's a matter of adding a box to check on the AD submission

Or maybe it's a matter of not treating this forum like your own personal
catalog after only being here 3 months, and reading the rules before you decide to
spam the board, like rule # 1
"1. Spamming, trolling, flaming, personal attacks, and distasteful material are prohibited. "
I don't know about anyone else but I consider "Spamming" to be
posting enough ads to knock every other ad off the first page.

Posted Fri Sep 6527 03:09:14 CEST 1993

Talk about Flaming, and Personal attacks.......look in the mirror...... and as for my "join" date..... that's when I joined AS an FFL not as a member. Put some money on the table Rick.... The forum could use that to the betterment of all here. It's like joining a club....... it costs money to join..... I am paying my membership fees...... how about you? It's only fair....... pay up my friend...... On OTHER forums you would be considered a LURKER.

Talk about Flaming, and Personal attacks.......look in the mirror...... and as for my "join" date..... that's when I joined AS an FFL not as a member. Put some money on the table Rick.... The forum could use that to the betterment of all here. It's like joining a club....... it costs money to join..... I am paying my membership fees...... how about you? It's only fair....... pay up my friend...... On OTHER forums you would be considered a LURKER.

Sam,
I am sorry if anything I have said has offended you personally.
I do not see anything in my previous post which constitutes a "Personal attack"
nor "Flaming" I am stating clearly what you have done IMHO.
Perhaps I have vented some frustration in my post,
but I am sure that I am not alone in that.

I was not aware that there was a "Membership fee" required to have an opinion about how the board is operated.
I will recheck the rules, thanks.

As for my status on this board I'm fine with being a Lurker,
and I am sure the people I have bought from and sold to
are quite happy that I am here regardless of how often I post.

I don't see anything wrong with Lurking....... most people prefer that and don't even give info on where they are at or even a real name. It's just that to say that marketing products is SPAM isn't fair. Every ad is legit and the offers are real. As for it being my "personal catalog"..... I pay to advertise...... the Ideas that I have given to alleviate the issue will work for both parties involved, Both NON-FFL and FFL posters. You quoted the "RULES" but your forget that I am following them. As to "knocking" anyone else........that is NOT the idea...... it's just getting the ads posted, and it is OBVIOUSLY easier to do it all at ONE TIME than to put up TWO....wait a few hours.....Put up TWO....... wait a few hours....etc. I go in once a week and "bump" my ads..... there is NO conspiracy here to knock anyone off the "first page" Every time that someone posts an ad.....SOMEONE is knocked off.....it happens ALL the time. Sorry for misunderstanding you......but if anything it sounded like you were saying my ads were less valid than any other. Some may think so, but at least I am supporting the site with what little I can afford. Should my business grow...... so will my support. Thanks for your time.

To be clear I am not questioning the legitimacy of any of your ads.
What I call spamming is posting 12 separate ads at a time
which was done only a week ago.
Imagine being a private party waiting a week to get a spot on the front page,
It stings a bit when someone comes along and knocks your single ad off with
12 postings. Sure, I guess you can do it within the rules, but is it really a good idea ?
I ask with all sincerity, do you really want to be that guy ?

No not at all....... but if you look you see that ANY ad on the first page is OFF the first page usually within 24 hours unless bumped by a comment. I too have to wait a week to bump, and as I stated before I will start spreading my ads out so that this won't be such an issue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top