JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
wow... lot's of people here hate their docs...

I'm sure it's the same group that hasn't been to one for ages... and don't care to be told that smoking and drinking is bad...

did anybody care to actually watch the video? it is a legitimate preventive safety issue... we docs don't really care who owns what... but when kids die because of people leaving loaded guns unattended or being careless around them.. it is a problem... and google can list a bunch of recent cases of children's being shot accidentally..

and before anybody talks about NRA certification or what not... is it really that difficult to ask a parent to lock up loaded guns around kids? do you need an NRA certification to say that? if so, then nobody should tell that to their family members or friends until they get NRA certified... except that it's common sense... and talking about what is common sense does not require NRA certification...

if you don't like it, don't answer... simple enough... but it will get asked during a preventive exam..

You should let us know where you practice and all your doctor pals, so we know who to avoid. Your support for this shows a lack of common sense, because if you advocate for more intrusion into our lives where is it to stop? Whats the next step you think that is "appropriate for doing your job", educating people on how they should speak to one another... walk on the side walk a certain way. You my friend are a part of the problem not the solution! It just goes to show the ignorance of those with a modicum of power, they feel they have control over the masses for the greater good. When can I come start telling you how to prepare your dinner in a safe manner, clean your house without poisonous chemicals... Get real Dr. do your job and fix the sickness!

I'm sure it's the same group that hasn't been to one for ages... and don't care to be told that smoking and drinking is bad...

did anybody care to actually watch the video? it is a legitimate preventive safety issue... we docs don't really care who owns what... but when kids die because of people leaving loaded guns unattended or being careless around them.. it is a problem... and google can list a bunch of recent cases of children's being shot accidentally..

and before anybody talks about NRA certification or what not... is it really that difficult to ask a parent to lock up loaded guns around kids? do you need an NRA certification to say that? if so, then nobody should tell that to their family members or friends until they get NRA certified... except that it's common sense... and talking about what is common sense does not require NRA certification...

if you don't like it, don't answer... simple enough... but it will get asked during a preventive exam..

Power tools, Lawn mowers, hot boiling pots of stew, bonfires, look before backing over neighbors kids! All things my doctor doesn't tell me about. Why the sudden emphasis on guns?
If it was part of an all inclusive pamphlet given out by pediatricians to all, no problem. This I feel is propoganda designed to make parents afraid of guns in their homes period.
Also this is a slippery slope towards the day when if Doc feels you look depressed and knows from earlier conversation you own a weapon, expect the P.D. to knock on your door that day!
That being said, it's the loaded guns laying around other peoples homes that my kids visit I think about. Teach gun safety to your kids often!

Dont know what you're talking about... But sounds like you're threatening me?

Boundary violation is when a Dr. goes outside his specialty, like having sexual relations with a patient or asking about gun ownership. It's outside their expertise or limits of expertise.

Definition of personal boundaries violation: The violation of a person's physical or mental state (personal boundaries, limits), which is different for every person.

Google is our friend!

Derp.

Look, I found a picture of you PX4WA!

tumblr_m7p6qtmzl01r06v33o1_400.jpg

I have no problem with a doc having concerns about gun safety and even making appropriate comments about gun safety in the home. However, the question is should doc's be in the gun safety teaching business? No. I promise not to stay in a Holiday Inn and then go try to teach general surgery at OHSU if doc's will promise not to teach about gun safety unless they are qualified to do so by training outside of medicine.

I only ASK about guns when it pertains directly to the patient's health, e.g. "I want to kill myself/others" do you have plan, means, etc. or "how did you get the hole in your foot?"
I personally would never think to infringe upon a person's constitutional right to keep and bear arms unless the patient CLEARLY was a threat to themselves or others.
Most other practitioners don't have the time/desire to open that can of worms unless it is unavoidable. If your Dr/PA/witch Dr. is confrontational about this, think twice about going back, if the next one is the same, you might want to look at yourself and what you are saying during your visits.

Sounds to me that you were prepared to be offended by the following responses to your post defending why doctors should have the right to ask their patients about gun ownership. There was nothing in oknow's post that was the least bit threatening or offensive. So why is your panty's in a wad? And just to clarify, that is a question not a threat. Just to be clear.

Thats your answer??!!??!! Google it?!!!!! ROFL.... You arent the brightest "doc", Google "Elvis is Alive" or "I was abducted by aliens" or "half human half animal babies".

Go ahead and ask it, but this is AMERICA, its none of your business IF i own guns, if i have kids, how i store my guns or raise my kids is MY business.
Do you ask a person whether they drive a car? what kind of car? is your car capable of exceeding the speed limit? are your tires in good shape? are your brakes properly maintenanced?
You just worry about the 98,000 people you and your colleagues kill every year due to preventable malpractice.

Get your proper amount of sleep. dont forget to double check the labels on all the medication you give your patients, make sure to check your patients ID every time you prescribe them medication even if you know them personally. Dont forget to remove all scalpels and forceps and dirty bloody rags from body cavities when you perform surgery. Make sure to wash and disinfect your hands multiple times a day to prevent spreading disease. Etc etc etc.... There, how is it when the tables are turned? I'm not a doctor but i read on the INTERNET all about you doctors and i feel that you should follow my instructions.... :s0140::s0140::s0140:

I am a Degreed Professional Gunsmith and have 5 instruction certifications. Therefore I am qualified to expound on medical issues. Given my skill in working on precision mechanisms I can do brain surgery too. :s0112:

Doctors have enough trouble getting the right diagnosis for the patients. Google that and see how many patients die every year. Doctors should stick to medicine. You mention being concerned about the safety of children. Do you have the same concern for the innocent babies ripped from their mothers wombs and tossed in the trash. Seems to me doctors are much more dangerous then guns.

Doctors have enough trouble getting the right diagnosis for the patients. Google that and see how many patients die every year. Doctors should stick to medicine. You mention being concerned about the safety of children. Do you have the same concern for the innocent babies ripped from their mothers wombs and tossed in the trash. Seems to me doctors are much more dangerous then guns.

Right to it! That's why I love this site. A valid question that needs broached. Thank you for asking it, I mean were talking ethics here aren't we?

So, whats up doc?

I grew up in a medical family and many of my relatives by marriage are in the medical field. After studying the question for about 50 years, I have finally determined what the difference is between God and a Doctor.
God doesn't think he's a Doctor.

This is a chicken poop response and a poster child example of a false equivalency. Do you really think that being a firearms/safety instructor is on par with a physician? Your comparison to abortion is both irrelevant and disgustingly intellectually bankrupt. Impress me: someday you are really going to need a doctor. Tell them what you just said as a anonymous keyboard commando.

This is a chicken poop response and a poster child example of a false equivalency. Do you really think that being a firearms/safety instructor is on par with a physician? Your comparison to abortion is both irrelevant and disgustingly intellectually bankrupt. Impress me: someday you are really going to need a doctor. Tell them what you just said as a anonymous keyboard commando.
Well you might be right, the stretch to include abortion might be irrelevant, but his overall end assessment that "doctors are much more dangerous than guns" is still correct if you figure the estimates are anywhere from 98k to 120k people die each year from preventable malpractice. that is 3 to 4 times the amount that die in all gun related deaths(in the USA).... if you include suicides.... 10 times as many deaths if you just look at homicides.

Some facts about medical deaths:

Deaths from avoidable medical error more than double in past decade, investigation shows

"The total number of iatrogenic deaths shown in the following table is 783,936. It is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States"

From: Medical system is leading cause of death and injury in US - Health Supreme

"Of the total 323,993 deaths among Medicare patients in those years who developed one or more patient-safety incidents, 263,864, or 81 percent, of these deaths were directly attributable to the incident(s)."

From: In Hospital Deaths from Medical Errors at 195,000 per Year USA

"In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents in the US. There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents."

"In the U.S. for 2006, there were 30,896 deaths from firearms, distributed as follows by mode of death: Suicide 16,883; Homicide 12,791; Accident 642; Legal Intervention 360; Undetermined 220."

FIREARMS TUTORIAL

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads