JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
MSN has a link to a clip about doctors wanting to teach gun safety

NBCNews.com Video Player

Why should they? It's none of their business and are they certified in gun usage and safety?

The left want to get guns to be deemed a safety hazard so they can add a tax on them through Obmacare like they have for smokers. If your medical care cast double just because you own guns can you afford to keep them?

I can get a little torn on this issue. On the one hand, I don't want doctors sticking their nose in my business. On the other hand, I just had two great experiences with Kaiser Permanente doctors. Neither were shooters, but both saw their job was to help me do activities I wanted to do, only better. I'd expect this out of a sports-medicine type, but mine were a general practitioner and an optometrist. I'd hate to see a law where they couldn't talk to me about shooting, especially an eye doc.

I too am not comfortable discussing my firearms if a question is formally asked. I use Group Health and they have never asked up to this point. Now I have had discussions with my optometrist as my right eye (naurally my shooting eye) has issues. The first optometrist was new and from India - which I mention only for a cultural reference - and she was a little uneasy discussing the issue. She went and got one of the older doctors and no problem. He made some suggestions and changes which made a world of difference. My point is some doctors actually shoot. My Son's VA doctor spent an extra 1/2 hour discussing his personal shooting and the guns he owned on his last visit.

Your Doctor should have absolutely nothing to do with firearms/firearms ownership in any way - other than treating wounds caused by them.

You go to them for treatment, nothing more.

if they get certified than they can teach gun safety until then I will let them teach gun safety to me if I can operate on them.

Your Doctor should have absolutely nothing to do with firearms/firearms ownership in any way - other than treating wounds caused by them.

You go to them for treatment, nothing more.

I absolutely agree, but I would offer I have gone to the same doctor for 20 years. He saved my life twice. We have discussed to many subjects that would normally be considered politically incorrect. If I was in doubt to the question being a formal requirement, I would say nothing. But, while I am concerned about Obamacare intrusion into my privacy and I am scared in the direction this Government is going, I will not be afraid to talk. I will live free or I won't. If you talk the talk, you better walk the walk. Will I actually be able to if the SHTF. Maybe I'll find out. No it's not the doctors official business, but my doctor is a person and not a government representative - at this time anyway.

Hey, if they get certified by the NRA or some other agency to teach gun safety, I'm all for it. They let anyone else get certified, I see no reason to exclude doctors....

Doctor's, Guns, sounds like a conflict of interest. I feel sorry for the doctor who brings up the topic during a visit. Tell the doc to get back to doctoring and mind his business about guns.

If my doctor is NRA certified and is a regular shooter, I'd consider it, but only if he could sell me some 22 or 9mm at the old prices.

This is the problem with socializing medicine. They get into EVERY nook and cranny of your lives with the excuse that they are bringing down costs.
Everything from gun ownership to red meat consumption will be documented in your file. If you protest too loudly you'll be marked as unfit to own a weapon.
Welcome to the nanny state from cradle to grave.

wow... lot's of people here hate their docs...

I'm sure it's the same group that hasn't been to one for ages... and don't care to be told that smoking and drinking is bad...

did anybody care to actually watch the video? it is a legitimate preventive safety issue... we docs don't really care who owns what... but when kids die because of people leaving loaded guns unattended or being careless around them.. it is a problem... and google can list a bunch of recent cases of children's being shot accidentally..

and before anybody talks about NRA certification or what not... is it really that difficult to ask a parent to lock up loaded guns around kids? do you need an NRA certification to say that? if so, then nobody should tell that to their family members or friends until they get NRA certified... except that it's common sense... and talking about what is common sense does not require NRA certification...

if you don't like it, don't answer... simple enough... but it will get asked during a preventive exam..

wow... lot's of people here hate their docs...

I'm sure it's the same group that hasn't been to one for ages... and don't care to be told that smoking and drinking is bad...

did anybody care to actually watch the video? it is a legitimate preventive safety issue... we docs don't really care who owns what... but when kids die because of people leaving loaded guns unattended or being careless around them.. it is a problem... and google can list a bunch of recent cases of children's being shot accidentally..

and before anybody talks about NRA certification or what not... is it really that difficult to ask a parent to lock up loaded guns around kids? do you need an NRA certification to say that? if so, then nobody should tell that to their family members or friends until they get NRA certified... except that it's common sense... and talking about what is common sense does not require NRA certification...

if you don't like it, don't answer... simple enough... but it will get asked during a preventive exam..

one question for you then isn't that a boundary violation make sure of your answer

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top