JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As an experiment to investigate pellet spread, I bought a small box of 9mm shotshell ammo (1/8 oz, #12 shot) for my Sig-Sauer P6 (3 3/4 inch barrel). My target was a piece of insulating foam board. Results were a spread of about 1 foot at a distance of 10 feet. The spread seems large to me. Unless I scored a face hit, this seems to me to likely be more of an irritant to the midnight intruder than a deterrent. So, questions for the more knowledgeable: Is the spread due to rotation induced by the rifling, or are there other factors involved? Is using shot in a rifled barrel an exercise in futility? Thanks

Been tried many, many times in the past with pretty much the same results. Shot thru a rifled bore is a very short range proposition at best. The other factor to consider for defensive use is the lack of penetration. #12 shot is very small, velocity out of a handgun is low. Put the two together and the shot is going to have trouble penetrating a heavy piece of clothing. So yeah, its an irritant to anything larger than a small rodent at close range.

There are some good training programs in Idaho involving the use of firearms for defense. I would suggest attending one.
Every trainer I know would advise not to use a firearm with the intention of only wounding someone as a deterrent.

As to the results of your experiment the results are exactly what I would expect.

I'm presuming that you bought the CCI stuff which was never marketed as anything other than to be used on mice, rats and other small critters like snakes. It was NEVER intended as a self defense cartridge. If you feel threatened, either for your life or for another person's life, you should ONLY draw and shoot your Firearm until the threat no longer exists.

As an experiment to investigate pellet spread, I bought a small box of 9mm shotshell ammo (1/8 oz, #12 shot) for my Sig-Sauer P6 (3 3/4 inch barrel). My target was a piece of insulating foam board. Results were a spread of about 1 foot at a distance of 10 feet. The spread seems large to me. Unless I scored a face hit, this seems to me to likely be more of an irritant to the midnight intruder than a deterrent. So, questions for the more knowledgeable: Is the spread due to rotation induced by the rifling, or are there other factors involved? Is using shot in a rifled barrel an exercise in futility? Thanks
A face hit? Snakes don't really have faces.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top