JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was standing at the bus stop this morning and, all of a sudden close by, I hear pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. Seven shots in rapid succession. It sounded like it may have been a .22. So, I didn't quite react the way I would have thought. At the sound of the first shot or two I didn't duck, or anything. I just stood there with my head turned towards the sound. And afterwards I ducked down a bit and ran towards an area where I thought I might have cover. And then called 911 and reported it.

I know going away from the sound and calling 911 were the right thing to do. I just couldn't believe, after I had thought about it more, that I just stood there looking instead of getting down immediately. Maybe its because this is the first time something like this has ever happened and so I'm not conditioned to respond more quickly. I do have to say that my hand did go, almost immediately, to a position where I could get to my pistol if necessary, but I did not bring my shirt up over it, nor did I pull it.

Anyway, I had to post this just to help me get it out. My heart is still beating a little fast, even though it happened about 1½ hours ago.​

Bob, glad you're ok. It can be quite un-nerving and your body is reacting with the increased adrenaline. The body does this incase you need to run faster than normal to stay alive. What area were you in this morning?

how we react depends a LOT on training and experience....

One time (at band camp?), in a lab, the centrifuge was unbalanced, and a trunnion came off the rotor at about 2300 rpm. This was a heavy duty centrifuge, with a large diameter and all...sounded (to my ear) like a Mod2 HB (ma deuce) going off....the rest of the guys in the lab, who'd never been in a line unit, were laughing at me, being prone on the floor and all....but, training and experience led me to react to a perceived threat in a specific manner.

Bob, glad you're ok. It can be quite un-nerving and your body is reacting with the increased adrenaline. The body does this incase you need to run faster than normal to stay alive. What area were you in this morning?

Felony flats (SE 86th & SE Foster). Only about 16 blocks away from that shooting last night at the max station - 102nd & Foster.

Bob! So glad you are safe! A pretty rough neighborhood! I live in inner N.E. so I get it. I'll bet that you react a good bit faster next time. Took me a couple of incidents to get condition, well let's say just short of red. I learned to spot cover as I move and pre-plan just what I will drive over if need be. I hope that the adrenalin has worn off! Pretty uncomfortable after action isn't it? LOL!!! Again glad you'r OK! You know, Bob, it just occurred to me that an incident at 8:30am would be extra unsettling! I expect all good hoodlums to be in their beds at that hour and I really do relax that early.

Last Edited:
Hmm...lots of bars over windows.

Mexicana.jpg

Mexicana.jpg

how we react depends a LOT on training and experience....

There are two different types of self-defense behaviors: Natural and Trained. Accessbob, what you just discovered is your Natural Behavior often runs counter to what you need to do under stress. What you experienced is very common: first curiousity, then momentary disbelief (even for one second), then "oh, I need to do something - but what?", then responding. This is exactly what happened in Colorado and that delay is what got a lot of people into trouble. Effective training shortens the up front cognative functions getting us quicker to the responding phase with our response being much more effective. That is why we work so dilegently in the Adjudicator at OFA to deprogram our Natural Behaviors (which we're all born with) and reprogram them to respond with the more effective Trained Behaviors. Unfortunately this takes programming, coaching, and repetition, to get rid of the Natural and develop the more effective Trained.

Very-very common even amongst the most committed gun people. In Defensive Handgun 2 which is the student's first experience in a simulated force on force (against real people) scenarios generally 15 out of 16 students will react with their natural behavior and take a simple real situation and escalate it up to something worse because they're operating under their Natural Behavior.

After student's experience this first scenario generally they're more open and adaptive to new and more effective "Trained Behaviors". Bottom Line - "Telling ain't Training" and just telling someone they need to do something doesn't make it so...now that you've experienced your Natural Behavior at work in this shooting situation and you've acknowledged it is lacking; you're more open to learning Trained Behaviors which will mitigate your exposure to the 7 UGLY Places we want to avoid!

Thanks for your willingness to be vulnerable and sharing!

A older lady I know told me, she had been in a shopping mall in Utah. All of a sudden she heard a series of large popping sounds. She immediately dropped to the floor and was still there when a police came up to and asked if she was hurt. As he helped her up said she felt so stupid. His response was she did exactly the right thing and not to be embarrassed.
It was a butch of "Dip Stick" teens setting off firecrackers in the building.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top