JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All,

So I'm pretty new to shooting shot guns. Just got my first one for my Birthday in February. I wanted to start simple and cheap so my wife got me the classic Remington 870 Express 12 Gauge. Love the gun, did some Trap Shooting last weekend and had a blast!

I didn't hit much but I warmed up near the end. However, three older men were enjoying the course we were on and had a lot of friendly advice. One of the men said, 'I'd bet you a dollar that gun is choked'. Me, being new to this just said, 'Ok...'.

He looked in my gun and sure enough there is a choke tube in the barrel. He explained that the choke tube tights the shot pattern and you normally use that for hunting and I would have a much better time shooting trap if I removed it.

So, can anyone on here help educate me a little on these choke tubes? Is it dangerous to just 'take it out'? Do I need to put a different one in? I found on Remingtion's website a choke tube kit but I don't see any explanation of whats used for what, etc!

Thanks for any help/advice I can get!

Welcome to shotguns;)!

Yes, if it is a removable choke, you must put a different one in to protect the inside threads on the barrel.

You can buy chokes from full cylinder (no choke) to full choke and everything inbetween.

I would recommend checking youtube for beginning shotgun/choke tutorials.

I personally would NOT go full cylinder because you will only be able to hit close targets - the further they get away, the tighter your pattern needs to be to hit it at distance. Pick something in the middle and play from there.

I know someone who learned with a full choke gun - he is a surgeon when we toss clays.

The choke in the end of the barrel helps constrict the shot as it comes out when fired, depending on how open or tight it is varies shot pattern greatly. Your shotgun should have come with a choke wrench to help remove the choke. I wouldn't just remove it and leave it empty though, it should say on the choke what it is; improved cylinder, modified, full, extra full, turkey. Most shotguns come with a couple chokes but if not you could buy a set, just make sure it fits your gun.
image.jpg

If you're shooting trap at the standard distance from the machine (17 yards, I think?) then you'll want an Improved or Modified choke. Personally, I have no choke in my 870 and I can shoot trap with it OK. I get on the birds really early though, because once they're more than about 40 yards away the shot is so spread out that it's not very effective anymore. I can shoot measurably better with my 1100 with the Improved Cylinder choke, but it's fun either way. Which reminds me; I'll have to dust those puppies off and get out there again.

There may not be a marking on the outside of the choke, but if it's a Remington it should be marked on the side. If so you'll have to unscrew it from the gun. You can do this with a choke wrench, or if you're handy there are probably some YouTube videos out there that will give you some good ideas on improvised tools.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top