JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This question is one of the great conundrums in the firearms world. If this was a Midway USA advert, Larry would be telling us we need a shotgun for each use (I do like his ads, but I don't have his money!) You are getting solid advice and agree going to a place like Mid-Valley clays to rent guns and where you can shoot trap, skeet, 5-stand and sporting all in one place is an advantage.

I shoot an 870 Trap gun (it's and 870 with a Monte Carlo stock so my head sits higher...but it's just an 870). When I shot in Cali two & three weeks ago at competitions I had the only or one of the few pump guns from what I could tell out of about 120 shooters. I just love shooting 870's. I must have had six shooters complement me on my gun...and they were holding Krieghoffs and other high end guns. One commented that his favorite gun to shoot was his old 870 and we should all be shooting them...and he was holding a $10,000 gun. Might I shoot a little better with nicely fitted single barrel trap gun? Yes, but just enjoy the feel of shooting this gun. Have a 3200 as well (O/U) that I shoot on occasion. Use my 870 field gun for sporting as to me this is bird hunting practice and fun, no comps for me.

My point is shoot what works for you, not what others think you should be shooting, especially if you are not going to specialize and want to enjoy multiple sports.

for sure. but when you have only driven a car one time and with a learners permit, which car works for you? All the input here is valuable. instead of questions leading to questions I actually have a direction and am now looking at several guns to purchase. These will be on the cheaper side until i can get my drivers license and now if I can drive a manual etc, but as I have said before i typically walk slowly into a new sport as I know the "thing" gun, motorcycle, bicycle is usually the cheapest thing - it's everything there after - related gear and equipment training etc that cost $$

i typically walk slowly into a new sport as I know the "thing" gun, motorcycle, bicycle is usually the cheapest thing - it's everything there after - related gear and equipment training etc that cost $$

On the note of cost, if you haven't already a quality shotshell reloader and the components necessary to keep you shooting should be up there on your priority list, especially if you really enjoy it and start shooting alot.

On the note of cost, if you haven't already a quality shotshell reloader and the components necessary to keep you shooting should be up there on your priority list, especially if you really enjoy it and start shooting alot.
very good point and on my list. I looked at reloading data last night found a few surprises (like hull size) that I didn't consider. I will need to work through this.

very good point and on my list. I looked at reloading data last night found a few surprises (like hull size) that I didn't consider. I will need to work through this.

I am new to reloading too, and there is definitely a learning curve for shotshell reloading. Funny thing is there seems to be 2 camps:
1. Follow exact recipes an do not deviate or you will die.
2. Stuff primer dump some powder and shot and it's good.
I have found the book "Reloading for Shotgunners" by K.D. Falkner to be quite useful.
The real struggle right now is finding all the exact components to match a specific recipe.

I bought a Franchi Instinct L for $1200, you can get an engraved SL model for $1400. To me, they have all the makings and quality of a $2K shotgun for half the price. I believe they're only cheapper because they were made by apprentice gunsmiths for Benelli.
I've only heard good things about Ruger Red Label and CZ's as well. At the time of my purchase, Ruger was not making the Red Label and they had a "collector's price" in the market, if ya know what I mean. A used Citori or Superposed would be my next option.

If you decide on a Remington 870, get an older one before they went cheap on us. Also an older Winchester Model 12 is awesome too. I personally have a Model 12 in my collection that I've never shot, I have a bad habit of this.

I bought a shotshell reloader pretty early on, and it's nice to be able to tailor loads ( when components are available). That being said, in the current supply climate, if I were starting over, I'd probably postpone purchase of a reloader until the panic subsides. Shotshells aren't super expensive compared to other ammo, I mean, 6.99 to 7.99 a box of 25 was pretty common last I looked. The one really expensive component is shot. So, maybe give it a year, and see if you're still having fun shooting clay?

I bought a shotshell reloader pretty early on, and it's nice to be able to tailor loads ( when components are available). That being said,
I bought a shotshell reloader pretty early on, and it's nice to be able to tailor loads ( when components are available). That being said, in the current supply climate, if I were starting over, I'd probably postpone purchase of a reloader until the panic subsides. Shotshells aren't super expensive compared to other ammo, I mean, 6.99 to 7.99 a box of 25 was pretty common last I looked. The one really expensive component is shot. So, maybe give it a year, and see if you're still having fun shooting clay?

You are quite fortunate if you are finding factory shells, and at normal prices. The shelves out here have been bare for months and what I am finding online is 10 and up per box.

I shoot an 870 Trap gun

For all my trap shooting (I was never a real competitor other than the occasional turkey shoot) I shot one of my first two shotguns that I ever bought. Even after I owned a 12ga Charles Daly/Miroku 30" O/U.... the first gun I ever bought, at 18yrs old, and my fav for 27yd trap thru all my years was my Rem Model 31TC Trap pump gun with the a Monte Carlo stock, a grooved fore-end, dark wood, fine checkering, and an extra wide rib with a Fiberglo front bead. That rib was maybe 5/8" and sighting on top of it looked like a 747 landing strip. I really liked the ability to open the action, insert a shell, and leave it there uncocked until it was my turn to shoot.

The second gun that I shot a lot was my Ithaca Model 37 pump gun. Just a basic hunting shotgun, with a 26" barrel, but it was great on 16yd trap.

The club guys and the competitors never looked askance at either one. I later sold the 31 to a club member. Mistake, I really miss that gun!!!

I would have loved to own a single barrel trap gun, but never could justify the expense. I do drool over them at Cabela's tho.

I am new to reloading too, and there is definitely a learning curve for shotshell reloading. Funny thing is there seems to be 2 camps:
1. Follow exact recipes an do not deviate or you will die.
2. Stuff primer dump some powder and shot and it's good.
I have found the book "Reloading for Shotgunners" by K.D. Falkner to be quite useful.
The real struggle right now is finding all the exact components to match a specific recipe.
I've been using essentially the same or very close to the same recipe since 1978 when I started. Developed a similar 1 oz. load for my wife a few years back. Few recommendations:
  • Don't take the busing throw weights as gospel...test them on your own scale.
  • Remington and Winchester AA hulls are tapered and use a different wad (not sure what others are tapered now as I don't reload any others). If you use a wad made for tapered cases (narrower at the bottom) on a straight walled case (generally Euro) there will not be a good seal and there can be issues. Use the correct wad.
  • Go on the powder manufacture's websites...plenty of info on loads usually.
  • Primers matter, but sometimes not much. I use Win and Rem primers interchangeably with my loads, noting that my loads are light anyway.
  • There are better powders (than the 700x I use), but I'm old school. It's not broken for me...and I love the smell.
  • On an old, single stage (MEC 700), I can still churn out 125+ shells per hour.
  • I like sizing my brass separately while watching TV with a MEC Super Sizer (switched to this about five years ago), some progressives have this build in.
ENJOY!

If you decide on a Remington 870, get an older one before they went cheap on us.
Good advice. My newest 870 is my trap gun, made in about 2011. It has over 10k rounds, likely 15k and runs great. The express might be best avoided if you are planning on a high round count.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top