JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a wing master 12 ga. 30 inch full choke fixed. was advised to not shoot slugs through it. a little help please. Looking to try feral boar hunting any places to go from what i know the boar are way into oregon.

You can shoot slugs through a full choke all day long, Foster style slugs are designed in such a way to allow them to be shot through a choked barrel. Good luck on you wild hog quest!

You might as well shoot the foster types, they are cheaper and you are not going to likely be tack driving with a full choke, anyway

After market 870 barrels are plentiful and come in a variety of combinations. Keep your 30" full choke and mount a shorter tube with cylinder or improved cyl.

Why? when for the same money you can get a rifled barrel and shoot the 2000fps Hornady sabot(fosters).
Kinda makes it like shooting a big bore rifle.

You can shoot slugs though a "full" barrel but you can't shoot slugs thought a full choke IE threaded choke.

A rifled barrel is meant for sabos not rifled slugs. you can use rifled slugs but they are meant to me used in a smooth barrel.

Do not use shoot in a rifled barrel

You can most definitely run slugs through a full choke, been there done that. I would however advise you to either buy or borrow a rifle for your hunt.
A decent lever 30-30 should be pretty inexpensive on the used market. Also if you know other hunters it's likely at least one owns a loaner gun.
Not trying to beat you down on using slugs through your gun, just explore options.

You can most definitely run slugs through a full choke, been there done that. I would however advise you to either buy or borrow a rifle for your hunt.
A decent lever 30-30 should be pretty inexpensive on the used market. Also if you know other hunters it's likely at least one owns a loaner gun.
Not trying to beat you down on using slugs through your gun, just explore options.

Doesn't work well if you are hunting a "shotgun only" area,does it?

This applies only to factory loads and not Lee or Lyman cast slugs.

Sabot : designed for rifled barrel. Can be shot through a Cylinder (no choke) smooth bore, do not shoot through a chokes barrel of any sort. Reason is the sabot is solid and will not swag down to the size of a choke. Another reason is poor accuracy, it is killing accurate to an extent but the sabot will key hole….or tumble in flight.

Rifled foster slug: foster refers to the hollow base. The hollow base expands from the pressure of the discharge sealing the skirt to the bore. The “rifling” is not for anything other than providing a crumple zone, if you will ,for the slug to fit through various chokes. The rifling does not impart spin on the slug. Designed for smooth bore and can be shot through a rifled barrel with ok accuracy but not as good as a sabot.

Brenneke style:. It is basically an improved foster. The Wad, or shot column stays with the slug through penetration. This offers some advantages in flight stability and extra mass for energy and penetration on the target. This is where you need to pay attention to labeling as some Brenneke brand slugs can be sabots and will be labeled as so.

This is not a Brenneke brand slug but it is a Brenneke style. Take away the wad/column and it is a rifled foster

Take away the wad/column and it is a rifled foster

OP, dont waste the $ on another barrel. Buy some Brenneke KO or some Remington Sluggers and go hunting. Hope that helps this confusing thread

oli700 is spot on, I 100% agree with his post

Skang was that a full barrel or a full choke? if it is a threaded choke, have to inspected the threads? if its a full barrel, its been posted many times that you can.

Great post Oli700

Are there any shotgun-only big game hunting areas/seasons here on the West Coast? Would be news to me

Now me I always wanted to hunt feral hogs with my SPAS 12 and my handloaded slugs just for the fun of it.. they are accurate and have good trajectory to 125 yards and are reputed to drop 'em in their tracks, in fact I learned of the slug/load in an article on hog hunting

Now me I always wanted to hunt feral hogs with my SPAS 12 and my handloaded slugs just for the fun of it.. they are accurate and have good trajectory to 125 yards and are reputed to drop 'em in their tracks, in fact I learned of the slug/load in an article on hog hunting

cool, whatcha loading ? I have a lot of Lee 1oz key drive slugs under my belt

cool, whatcha loading ? I have a lot of Lee 1oz key drive slugs under my belt

I was trying to get up a pic of my load but the camcorder is not co-operating.. maybe I can later after my sexretary figures the problem out. It's a Lyman musket ball mold at .662 with an AA shotcup for the sabot, loaded to look just like a star crimped shotshell. I hard cast and water-quench them and they have the penetration of an SS109 5.56 steel core. Nice thing is AA is very common (I was just given 1,000 of them free from a buddy who does not handload, and several manufacturers make them) and you use a standard shotshell press.. in my case an old Lee Load All. The trick is getting the buffer amount just right over the slug so you get a nice crimp. You can use poly buffer, cream of wheat or even fine shredded paper, but you get a lot of rejects from too little or too much buffer and they are just practice/target loads. I use a specific and distinct shell that cannot be mistaken for any other load so there's no confusion. The powder is SR4756

in a pinch you could load them with cardboard wads but the accuracy would be very poor, the AA cup makes a sweet sabot that spits the slug out and drops at 20 feet or so. I will never forget the range master who did not want me to shoot them because he thought they were shotshells.. I proceeded to fire those magnum blasters into an 8 inch group at 100 yards.. the look on his face was priceless, and a crowd of Vietnamese youth were gathered behind me, grinning, although I had no idea what they were saying, they were having a ball, watching

I'll give a detailed load and how to when my girl gets the camcorder working again

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top