Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

shotgun sight

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 86-0134, Apr 20, 2010.

1. 86-0134

86-0134 north willamette valley Member

I have a Remington 11-87 shotgun that i'd like to put a fiber optic front sight on. Does anyone know how the factory front bead comes off? I'm hoping it unscrews but I'm afraid to try it for fear of breaking it off. I'll post a picture of the gun/sight later.

correction......middle sight bead, not front sight

2. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

I put a truglo fiber optic front sight on my 870 barrel. The package includes several different color light "pipes" and a magnetic base. The base attaches behind your bead sight via the magnets in the bottom of the base. No tools required and it installs in about 15 seconds. You can change out the color of light pipes at will. The base has withstood 2 seasons of bird hunting and several rounds of skeet with no signs of coming loose. Best of all, it only cost me 25.00 at joes (when they were still open). I've seen them at dick's and occasionally at bimart.

3. 86-0134

86-0134 north willamette valley Member

thanks magnum, I do think id like to go that route. however my 1st post was not super accurate. I would actually need to remove the sight bead that is midway down the vented rib so that it wouldnt interfere with the front (soon to be) fiber optic sight while on target.i just dont know if its pressed in or threaded or glued in etc. any smiths or shotgun gurus out there ever removed one?? like i said before i'd like to avoid damaging the gun or the bead.

DSCN4707.jpg

4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

It is threaded in. You can carefylly grab it with pliers, with duct tape on the jaw faces. Hopefully you can get enough grip to turn it counter-clockwise, to remove it. Worst case is vise grips, and unscrew it, but you'll crush the bead. You can buy many replacement beads from brownells or Cabelas. One tru glo bead kit at Walmart comes with thread adapters for different threads, 4-40, 6-40, ect.