JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are they worth recycling? Many places that I frequent in the woods are littered with them and I figure I'd start picking them up. It would sweeten the deal if the were recyclable. Would I have to separate them or just recycle as dirty brass?

Thanks

If they are fresh reloadable hulls (like Winchester AA etc) yes. If they're cheap bargain type hulls probably not. Most have a steel base instead of brass nowdays. That's become a real problem in the public areas. I pick them up and throw them away when I can, but there's just soooo many:(. Looks like hell doesn't it?

If they are fresh reloadable hulls (like Winchester AA etc) yes. If they're cheap bargain type hulls probably not. Most have a steel base instead of brass nowdays. That's become a real problem in the public areas. I pick them up and throw them away when I can, but there's just soooo many:(. Looks like hell doesn't it?
This ^^^

There are some good reloadable hulls like AA, some Rems. and some Federal.
I am not current on what the keepers are. Maybe someone that is up-to-date on shotgun reloadable hulls could chime in ?

As far the junk hulls, I don't know if any of those are even recyclable..might be a throwaway situation ?

This ^^^

I am not current on what the keepers are. Maybe someone that is up-to-date on shotgun reloadable hulls could chime in ?

As far the junk hulls, I don't know if any of those are even recyclable..might be a throwaway situation ?

Yes and I'm glad 12 gage is so cheap, but hardly anyone reloads it. It's hard to get people to pick up after themselves when most of the hulls have no value. It's even hard for a scrounger like me to take the time to pick up someone else's hulls. It's kind of a weird situation. Im glad they're affordable, but bummed there's no use for most of them. If lead was cheaper that would probably help folks start loading 12 gauge again, but I don't think that's goung to happen.

This ^^^

The Win AA HS are good for reloading along with the Rem STS and Gun Club. The Rem's are probably the better ones because I believe they are a fully straight wall hull. The Win's have a very slight taper but I have found that they are far more indestructible. I completely agree that it's terrible to see the woods become a trash dump for lazy shooters...if you can even call them shooters. A little respect out there can go a long ways into preserving NW shooting areas.

The Win AA HS are good for reloading along with the Rem STS and Gun Club. The Rem's are probably the better ones because I believe they are a fully straight wall hull. The Win's have a very slight taper but I have found that they are far more indestructible. I completely agree that it's terrible to see the woods become a trash dump for lazy shooters...if you can even call them shooters. A little respect out there can go a long ways into preserving NW shooting areas.
Ah so..
The STS and the Gun Club must be similar to the Federal Gold Medal that I used to like to load (1-1/4 oz 1330 fps).
Straight wall with a separate base.

AA's are a one piece hull that are very robust.
Low brass, high brass makes no difference. The AA hull would work with no brass.
Brass height was a marketing tool.....Super X got the high brass to suggest "powerful field load" to the consumer.
They did look cool, but the hull was the same inside as an AA target hull.

Ah so..
The STS and the Gun Club must be similar to the Federal Gold Medal that I used to like to load (1-1/4 oz 1330 fps).

Low brass, high brass makes no difference. The AA hull would work with no brass.
Brass height was a marketing tool.....Super X got the high brass to suggest "powerful field load" to the consumer.
When I used to load 12 gauge I always preferred the AA for trap and skeet and the super x for hunting. Always seemed like the components fit just right and the crimp came out looking really professional. I remember getting 8 to 10 reloads out of them and you could keep loading them till the ends blew off.

A good shot gun hand loader for field work is almost a thing of the past. Although difficult to reload there was a time I valued federal hulls over anything else, 2-3/4'' 1285 fps 1-1/2 oz. 32 +- grains of Winchester 540 ball powder lead shot, can't remember the Remington wad but it was for a 1-1/4 oz load - Best darn game load I ever produced.

Surprised to remember that but, Don't trust my old memory Looking back over nearly forty years, go to the Lyman shot shell loading books of the day.
You might find that in your load date some ware. This was years before steel. Since steel shot was introduced and required.
I quit shot gunning waterfowl. The rate of my crippling birds was increased about 50% over lead shot.
That meant fewer game birds on the table at a higher cost of shot shells I could not reload, and the loss of two wonderful hobbies.
Waterfowl hunting and Lead shot shell loading.

Lead kills steel does not.
Silver Hand

I know we don't like new laws, but what if it was required that shotgun hulls were made out of steel and paper, instead of brass and plastic? Paper wads and paper hulls used to work just fine, and if they were left in the field they were biodegradable within a few years.

Ah so..

I know we don't like new laws, but what if it was required that shotgun hulls were made out of steel and paper, instead of brass and plastic? Paper wads and paper hulls used to work just fine, and if they were left in the field they were biodegradable within a few years.
That would break down faster but those are two of my least favorite things to have associated with ammo.

Paper hulls can be reloaded and when they are re-crimped they come out a lot nicer than plastic.
Yep, prettiest crimp you ever saw.
They are just not practical in damp weather......at all.
IIRC, I'd get about 3 reload cycles...a pin hole would show just above the brass when they were done.
Federals, I think they were.

I remember that my grandpa always bought break action shotguns because of the paper shells. He said they would swell and wouldn't feed right in a pump or auto but you could always shove them in a double and they'd still work mostly lol.

They've obviously found a way to make non reusable shells so cheap that the cat is out of the bag I think. You really have to look around for quality hulled ammo like AA anymore and even then it's a lot more expensive.

Perhaps we need a bottle deposit type law:p. We can all go down to Fred Meyer on Saturday and wait in line to turn in our empties.

I hunted with paper shot shells and was happy to see them go.
Plastics can be made to bio degrade faster but when a shot gun is fired the pressure is built in the case so it has to be tough.

Not so in the rifled barrel, from the fired chambered case then forward the pressure builds as the powder burns and the pill spins down the tube.

Having left paper and plastic shells behind myself on occasion wasn't due to as much neglecti In those days we didn't have the abundance of goods we have today. To shoot up a box or two of shells just to hear the gun go off and blow away an old television or a toaster just didn't happen.
Trap and skeet for some and others the hunt. As a general rule waist was not a part of our social make up. It was not always a throw away world.
Silver Hand

Lol you can only reload them so many times before they blow up in your face I would only reload them once if only I had video of the reload exploding out the side of the gun when my brother inlaw was shooting if it was me I would have been blind because I shoot Lefty it would have been in my face

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top