JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
All,

Need some advice on a shotgun. I'm looking to buy something primarily for recreational sporting clays/trap that can double as a duck gun in a pinch. Trying to keep it around $1k, don't mind something that is used. I shouldered the Beretta A391 and the Browning Maxus carbon fiber, liked both, consensus seems to give the nod to the Beretta for reliability. Not expecting something to fit like a glove as I'm fairly tall with longer arms (6'3" with a 36 sleeve).

Any thoughts or suggestions (Benelli etc)?

Thanks

You should be able to find plenty of shotguns within that price range. If you are left handed then you would want something that ejects the expended shot gun shells away from you or downward rather than in your face. I suppose it would all depend on how fancy you want to get. Me, I prefer a shotgun that is relatively basic, no fancy sights or attachments for extra rounds, laser sights etc. I've looked at Mossberg 500's, Remington 870's and a couple of CZ's lately. I haven't purchased anything yet. I have looked at Home Defense shotguns but I think I would prefer to go with a regular full size so I could use it for other things besides Home Defense. Good Luck

I just bought a CZ Canvasback D103 in 12ga with 28" barrels and I have to say its going to be a great gun for hunting and I assume since its not a light wt. It will most likely also be a nice clays gun.

I have the 391. Found it at Dick's marked down to $700~ a few months ago. I love it. I've put 500 rounds through it in 5 months (not alot by trap standards) no problems whatsoever. Great warranty, came with 5 chokes, stock is adjustable via included shims..

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm not a lefty so no concerns there. Focusing on an auto loader or an over/under so the 870 is out (not that it's not an amazingly proven gun). Will take a look at the canvasback d103. Didn't realize the Beretta was so affordable at Dicks, there were two at Tulalip Cabelas that were ~1k. Will look around as I would rather not support Dicks.

I am tall as well. There are various things about different shotguns I like and dislike. Personally I do not like safeties that are on the triggerguard (being as I first learned how to shoot shotgun with a S/S and O/U with the safety on top, operated with the thumb). The only shotgun I have ever shot that actually fit me well was a Citori Lightning which was my father's when I was growing up. Unfortunately I do not own one as they are a smidge on the spendy side.

I would suggest finding someone who has the actual shotguns being considered and shoot them. I have not shot the CZ Canvasback but believe it does not have ejectors. Since I waterfowl hunt I consider ejectors a must on a O/U. You learn to twist your wrist quickly to avoid an emty hull bouncing off your chin.

I have shot many 1100's and 870's, outstanding, durable guns, just cannot get over the safety thing. Have not shot the new A5 yet, but again the safety is on the the bottom of the gun.

Please let us know what you choose and how you like it. As I am shooting a 25 year old autoloader, I am interested in the results.

I'd try to shoulder as many as possible. When you bring a shotgun up and it feels just right, you'll know it.

For what you want, I'd probably focus on semi-auto guns. I like the way Winchesters feel, but haven't owned one. I own an older 1187 Premier and it seems to work for me. Had it for 20+ years.

I'm a lefty, and ended up getting a Browning BPS. Really good gun with dual action bars and ejects out the bottom. Probably a thousand rounds through it so far without any issues. Also have a CZ Redhead O/U in 20 guage with the 26" barrels and it's been great so far with close to 2000 rounds. The CZ was cheap enough that I wouldn't feel bad about dragging it out to hunt ducks if it were a 12

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top