JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am in the market for a new shotgun. Right now I have a Remington 870 "security model" -- it works well and I am keeping it for home defense, but clay/trap shooting isn't the easiest with it (though it is possible...).

I've looked at semi-auto shotguns... Maybe the Remington 11-87... but I also like things that are simple, less prone to failures. Semi-autos are more complex than pumps.... so I need to take that into account. I might just end up with a longer Remington 870 - they are cheap, work well, and I already know how to take it apart ;)

But since I haven't used a semi-auto shotgun before my worries about reliability might be wrong... so what are your opinions? If you had say... $700'ish budget - semi or pump? Remington or other (model numbers would be great too)

Thanks!

Your cheapest option is (as said in the above post) to get a 28" barrel for your 870.
Although sometimes I see barrels for sale for almost the same price as a complete gun. So check the prices.
Most semi's now adays are pretty reliable. Yes, they do have more moving parts that can fail, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Now with the price tag that you say you want to spend, that limits the semi's that are in that price range.
My first thought for you is to get a 11-87. The reason is fit. I believe that a 11-87 stock/receiver is very close to the 870. A friend of mine can shoot a 870, but not the 1100, so those two may be different. In my opinion, fit is the most important thing to consider ( assuming the 870 fits you properly).

Another gun I would recommend is the Beretta 390's and the 3901.
Very good guns and you can get them for under $700. They are not fancy, but I go for function over looks.

Your cheapest option is (as said in the above post) to get a 28" barrel for your 870.
Although sometimes I see barrels for sale for almost the same price as a complete gun. So check the prices.

Looking around online the 28" barrel is in the $230-$260 range... $100 more and you have a separate, dedicated gun.

Most semi's now adays are pretty reliable. Yes, they do have more moving parts that can fail, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Now with the price tag that you say you want to spend, that limits the semi's that are in that price range.
My first thought for you is to get a 11-87. The reason is fit. I believe that a 11-87 stock/receiver is very close to the 870. A friend of mine can shoot a 870, but not the 1100, so those two may be different. In my opinion, fit is the most important thing to consider ( assuming the 870 fits you properly).

Another gun I would recommend is the Beretta 390's and the 3901.
Very good guns and you can get them for under $700. They are not fancy, but I go for function over looks.

Good info, thanks! The price range isn't a hard limit - but I've seen some shotguns at $1k+ and that is out of the question for a shotgun :D -- so there is some wiggle room on the $700 mark...

You can find Benelli's for under $1k if you don't mind used. They are also a great gun.

My best advise is to find some friends or go to a trap range that have guns you can shoot. (I know Mitchell's has guns. ) Find a gun that fits you well and that you like to shoot. Then start to shop around for the gun or guns that you like.

So I bought a Remington 11-87 Sportsman -- took an hour to get out of Bi-Mart, partially due to their sporting goods department being busy but mainly because the background check took forever...

Anyways - loaded it up and fired off 5 shots --- NICE!!!! First time shooting a semi-auto shotgun, very nice!!!!! A lot of clay will be destroyed this summer :-D

as stated before, I'd swap barrels and literally have a blast. Cabelas has replacement barrels, 28" vent ribbed for $179.99
I'm kind of in the same predicament wanting an 8 shot remington pump, but also something to shoot clays, so I've already looked into the replacement barrels. The downside to this is following up on the second clay. The pump action is going to require more time and take you off target momentarily. I think it just depends on how serious you want to get into trap/skeet and if spending $1K or more is worth it.

as stated before, I'd swap barrels and literally have a blast. Cabelas has replacement barrels, 28" vent ribbed for $179.99
I'm kind of in the same predicament wanting an 8 shot remington pump, but also something to shoot clays, so I've already looked into the replacement barrels. The downside to this is following up on the second clay. The pump action is going to require more time and take you off target momentarily. I think it just depends on how serious you want to get into trap/skeet and if spending $1K or more is worth it.

For $550 it was worth it to me to get a dedicated shotgun for clay... I could have bought a longer barrel for my 870... I could have bought a 28" 870.... but having the semi-auto AND longer barrel is nice and I think worth the money (to me at least).

Congrats on your new 11-87. I bought one of these back in 1990 and have never had any problems with it. Definitely one of the last guns I'd ever part with.

There are "better" shotguns out there, but Remington guns just seem to fit me better. I've gotten rid of a Benelli Sport II, Browning Citori and Mossberg 500 because I just shoot the Remington 11-87 and 870 better.

(not to say I'm a great shot; it's all relative...)

So I bought a Remington 11-87 Sportsman -- took an hour to get out of Bi-Mart, partially due to their sporting goods department being busy but mainly because the background check took forever...

Anyways - loaded it up and fired off 5 shots --- NICE!!!! First time shooting a semi-auto shotgun, very nice!!!!! A lot of clay will be destroyed this summer :-D

Congrats!
You should be happy with that gun for a long time. Nothing wrong with those guns. The reason I shoot a Beretta is the great deal I got on it and that it fit me well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top