JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a good gunsmith in the Portland Washington county area for parkerizing at a reasonable price?
I've also seen parkerizing kits on the web ...is this a reasonable DIY project for Remington Model 11 shotgun?

Its pretty easy to set up if you want to do a few guns. I'm a DIY(read poor) guy so I do all my own parkerizing.

I wouldn't buy the park solution and build a setup with the intent of only ever doing one gun. If you want this one parked and think you'll be taking on more builds/projects in the future that require parking I would DIY. I actually park all kinds of stuff...car parts, axe heads and assorted tools.

If you do decide to DIY there should be plenty of info out there for you but if you do have any questions feel free to PM me

Why would a guy parkerize anything anymore since the advent of Cerakote? Their is no comparison to which is more durable or weather resistant.

You should tell glock that......maybe they'd stop parking their slides and paint them instead.

There are a few reasons a guy might like parkerizing.......one being it is a great finish to paint over for the ultimate protective finish, also to restore an older gun to its original finish, or maybe a guy just likes the look of a well parkerized gun.

I am personally not a fan of painted guns unless it is flat black......which is my I like parkerizing.

eganx,
I like parkerizing for its appearance. It's especially good for restorations of old parkerized items. It is better than ordinary bluing because it helps hold more oil. In my experience unoiled parkerized steel will show rust in only a couple hours of exposure to rain. A Cerakoted part will last for years in the weather with no degradation to the color or allow the base metal to rust.

Would you be interested in doing an experiment? What I am proposing is you parkerize one of your frequently used axe heads on one side. I will send you a prepaid label for a priority mail box and send it to me for Cerakote on the other side. I will send it back to you on my dime and all I ask is an honest test of whatever you decide. Soak it in salt water, chop some wood, leave it outside, drag it behind your truck, submerge it in battery acid. Whatever you decide and then post dated pictures showing the results.

Does this sound interesting?

Shawn

While it does sound interesting, I am sure the Cerakote would prove a superior finish. I am not here to debate which is a more durable finish, I was just responding to you question of "Why would a guy parkerize anything anymore since the advent of Cerakote?". Everyone has their own reason. The OP asked about parkerizing, not Cerakote.

There was an older parkerizing thread on here a while back that had some good info in it about mixing your own park solution.....

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/gunsmithing-repairs/36617-diy-home-parkerizing.html

The only reason I thought to ask it is Cerakote has a couple colors that look exactly like some of the parkerized treatments yet are immune to rust and substantially more scratch resistant. Cerakote also goes down in a consistant color opposing parkerizing where it is different over each steel alloy or metal hardness. I believe this is a a plus to parkerizing because it is an antique look that would be hard to get any other way. A little dialoge is never a bad thing. For restorations I prefer to try to use and duplicate how the gun was originally produced. To me Cerakote has no place in restoration work unless we are restoring AR's. To put an older shotgun back into service is a great use of Cerakote. If my old 1100 was in worse shape I would certainly consider Cerakote because I actuly hunt in the rain with it and I have a glossy Cerakote that mimicks black blueing very closely. It would shine in our saltwater hunting areas.

A model 11 usually has light intricate engraving. Are you looking to restore this classic or return a reliable tool to service? I would be happy to do it but don't know if this is the best thing for this application. We should talk over the phone on this one. I open at 10:00 Monday.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top