JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Helo all,
last year I went up there hunting and found a road that went up at a steep angle , for 1 mile.
I remember at the top there was just enough room to turn around ( small landing). it was at the top of a mtn and all the trees were tall and no limbs until 20+ feet up. I do remember there being a 25 in the road number but when i went up this year .....I cant find it !!
I remember going up shotgun , Stay right then stay right again...after that its a................... fog...lol.
Does anyone know where i can find a map of that area ?
Thank you very much.

Helo all,
last year I went up there hunting and found a road that went up at a steep angle , for 1 mile.
I remember at the top there was just enough room to turn around ( small landing). it was at the top of a mtn and all the trees were tall and no limbs until 20+ feet up. I do remember there being a 25 in the road number but when i went up this year .....I cant find it !!
I remember going up shotgun , Stay right then stay right again...after that its a................... fog...lol.
Does anyone know where i can find a map of that area ?
Thank you very much.

Could you be a bit more specific? There is a shotgun creek east of Springfield, meets the Mohawk at Mable....is that the one you are talking about? (there are also 3 other shotgun creeks.) Mcgowen creek? I cannot find a McGowen Creek as a registerd place name in Oregon..

Wow, that sounds like my old high school drinking spot. We used to throw awesome parties up there. Could've found it drunk and blindfolded back then, but can't for the life of me remember now, twenty years later.

I go up to the top of mcgowan every fourth of july and again when the snow starts falling.
You can see every firework set off in eugene, springfield, coburg, veneta, etc.
It's also a great place to go when the fog starts settling in the valley.

I dont know of any maps, but I know that area like the back of my hand.

Could you be a bit more specific? There is a shotgun creek east of Springfield, meets the Mohawk at Mable....is that the one you are talking about? (there are also 3 other shotgun creeks.) Mcgowen creek? I cannot find a McGowen Creek as a registerd place name in Oregon..

McGowan and shotgun are spirngfield/marcola staples.
If you can't find McGowen, try googling Emerald Empire gun club.

Go figure, google maps doesnt show the lookout as a road

+44° 10' 59.06", -123° 0' 19.33" (44.183073, -123.005370) - Google Maps

For Shotgun Creek:
Shotgun Creek Road, OR - Google Maps

That's where we used to do our drag racing back in highschool

I go up to the top of mcgowan every fourth of july and again when the snow starts falling.
You can see every firework set off in eugene, springfield, coburg, veneta, etc.
It's also a great place to go when the fog starts settling in the valley.

I dont know of any maps, but I know that area like the back of my hand.

McGowan and shotgun are spirngfield/marcola staples.
If you can't find McGowen, try googling Emerald Empire gun club.

Go figure, google maps doesnt show the lookout as a road

+44° 10' 59.06", -123° 0' 19.33" (44.183073, -123.005370) - Google Maps

For Shotgun Creek:
Shotgun Creek Road, OR - Google Maps

That's where we used to do our drag racing back in highschool

Ok, thanks, now that I have to proper spelling Mcgowan it was easy to find. I have prenty of maps, the whole state of OR and WA 7 1/5 min topos on my computer with a searchable database, plus arial photos for both states online.

The confusion on my part was I found 4 Shotgun creeks and had the Spelling of McGowen (which is wrong of course). One Shotgun Creek is over by Coos Mountain at the headwaters of the Coos river and also there is the one at enters the Mohawk at Mable. Neither are that far from Springfield, though the one by Coos Mountain is a bit farther as the logging roads go.

I lived in Coos Bay from 1960-63 (teen years) so I have roamed some of those hills too.

Call a map store and order up the usgs maps. We used those for hunting the Mckenzie and Calapooia units. Very nice maps.

The Oregon Atlas and Gazeteer is a must-have for me for general off-highway travel. Not super specific, but shows the roadwork pretty well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top