JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hello All!

I have a Mossberg tactical shotgun that I use for close range stuff (it has the stand-off barrel so cant hit anything further). It only has a single white dot at the muzzle and it's a pain to get down to. I put a rail on the receiver and am using a basic Truglo tube type optic on it right now. I am wondering if anyone is using a basic open reflex type sight right now on a shotgun they like. I dont wanna go as far as spending the money on another EOTech or on a RMR. Sightmark, NcStar, BSA and Barska, just to name a few, all have these types of sights available, but I am worried about their ability to last on a shotgun.

I know most of you are going to disagree with even having a site/optic on a shotgun in the first place.

Any experience with any of these, or any recommendations?

Fiber Optic is great on a shot gun. I can't remember if you have a light on it, but if you do, the FO will light up at night too.

I know some people who have used Tritium, and they have held up. I was a little cautious about the glass at first, but it worked great. The problem is using tritium with a light. With the light activated, the sights turn straight black. I'm sure they're still glowing, you just can't SEE the glowing.

But, while ugly, I think an Eotech would be functionally AWESOME on a shotgun. :D

Hey Joe. No light on my shotgun. I dont think I can use a fiber optic because of the stand off on the barrel. I wouldnt even worry about one but I hate trying to get down to it to barrel aim it. I ended up just getting an NCStar open sight... It was a warranty (hehe). Kinda wanna try it out.

I drilled and tapped my Maverick 88 for a rail on the receiver. Put a $25 NCStar red dot on it and it's held up through about 120 rounds of 00, #4, slugs, magnums, HV, LV...'Do it' is my opinion.

Well, for a while I just had a cheap TruGlo tube style optic, but I wanted something more open. I put on the NCStar optic and... That lasted about 20 rounds. There is a metallic piece under the battery used to complete the connection that came unglued or unsoldered within the first few rounds. Not very impressed. Think I will send it for repair and use that for some light duty type application. I really wish I could afford to put a T1, EOtech or an RMR on it though

Mean! :p

Have you ever thought about putting ghost rings on it? The mossberg ghost rings are only 70 bucks, and the two people I know with them swear by them.

They have to be silver soldered on (Which we can do), but I've heard internet rumblings of drilling a hole and tapping it so it bolts on nice.

Mean! :p

Have you ever thought about putting ghost rings on it? The mossberg ghost rings are only 70 bucks, and the two people I know with them swear by them.

They have to be silver soldered on (Which we can do), but I've heard internet rumblings of drilling a hole and tapping it so it bolts on nice.

I would prefer an application like that, and was actually kinda thinking about something simple like a MBUS rear sight, for use with the front post. You know, I only use it for hasty aiming

I'm not sure your front sight would be tall enough.

A grind down and a quick hole drill, you can modify a non-flip up rear sight to mount into the holes drilled into your receiver. That would be exceptionally easy. (I could get it done in 15 minutes).

But realistically, you would want to raise the front sight as well. And I don't know how that mounts in there on yours. If it's just screwed on, we simple machine a new, taller front sight, to match the rear. Mill a hole for a fibre optic and away you go! :D

Edited to add: It would be cool to have "taller" sights like an AR. Clays would get difficult, though.

I'm not sure your front sight would be tall enough.

A grind down and a quick hole drill, you can modify a non-flip up rear sight to mount into the holes drilled into your receiver. That would be exceptionally easy. (I could get it done in 15 minutes).

But realistically, you would want to raise the front sight as well. And I don't know how that mounts in there on yours. If it's just screwed on, we simple machine a new, taller front sight, to match the rear. Mill a hole for a fibre optic and away you go! :D

Edited to add: It would be cool to have "taller" sights like an AR. Clays would get difficult, though.

Hm... Tango

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads