JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I have been a on again off again subscriber to SGN for the last 25 years. Back before the Internet it was thee place to search for the latest gizmo and to learn about new offerings. Back then it also seemed you could buy just about anything. I onetime bought one of those twist blasting cap generators out of there and of course the "legal" auto sear was always advertised along with every other questionable gadget you could think of.

It had been a few years since I let my subscription laps and maybe 5 months ago I signed back up, I just got the latest issue today. As I was thumbing through it I thought the content is no different than the last 5 I got. Occasionally there is a interesting bit on something but the days of searching for parts have long been replaced by Internet sellers. It's obvious they still have lots of advertising dollars flowing in but I bet the return on dollars spent is only a fraction of what it was 15 or 20 years ago.

So do you get it? Do you still find value in a physical magazine with everything being available 24/7 on the Internet?

Is there a publication you like better?

Last Edited:
Nope, if I want something I'll search it out online and compare price/availability. I get a Cabella's and Sportsmens Guide magazines, only because they put me on their mailing list from the online orders I've made in the past. Cheaper Than Dirt FINALLY got the message a while back and quit sending me their rag after 4-5 times or writing "return to sender" on them and dropping them back in the mail drop.

I get several email advertisements/updates from suppliers/venders/blogs/Youtube channels that I've subscribed too that keep my up to date on the latest whiz-bang stuff and other 2A issues.

EXACTLY the way God intended the interwebs to be! :D

I have not subscribed to any publications let alone read any in a long time. I too was a huge SGN reader and I really liked the annual ones with all the color gun articles.

I basically quit reading most about 3-4 years ago. I stopped for 2 reasons, first being the "new" information was old because of the internet, but that was not the real killer.

The big one for me was lack of new information or review. It was the same stories over and over with a few words change. How many articles can you read about an AR-15 with only the brand, model, or some small feature (now in FDE) change but otherwise reads the same?

I use to pick up a few magazines prior to heading out on fires in the summer to throw in the backpack. Well I got out my trusty magazine to read and felt like I had already read the articles in it. Well I compared it to one from about a year ago and it was the same, only the names had changed. I quit buying.......

Funny thing about SGN.
I always thought it was free and would pick one up at the sportsman counter at Bi-Mart and walk out the door with it.
The other day, I was buying some fishing gear, and the lady saw it in my hand, and rang it up.
I asked her about why the extra charge?
She pointed to the subscription price and asked if I still wanted it.
No thanks I replied, and realized I've been absconding that rag for years.

I subscribed to about 4 different magazines 20 years ago. Then I realized that they were the same articles by different writers.
Yeah there always the newest guns, but I could go to the book store and read about those.
Now every once in a while I will pick up a magazine to get some new web sites to visit.

C'mon.... Deep down, you knew what you were doing. In the Army I tried to see how many of other people's pens I could score by the end of the day. :D

Honestly I didn't.
It looks just the same as that automobile rag you see on auto parts store counters.
That ones free, so I always thought SGN was free.
I mean, there's nothing in it worth buying one for.

C'mon.... Deep down, you knew what'll it ere doing. In the Army I tried to see how many of other people's pens I could score by the end of the day. :D

Must have been a paper pusher enough Tony....
I used 3 pens while in the Army, first was at the recruiter, second was filling out leave papers & the 3rd was when I ETSed..... I was a mechanic in a grunt unit so was downrange A LOT...... they gave us dull pencils.....;)

About 4 interesting pages in SGN. That is if they were following a gun build, or mod. Other than that it was the SOS.:(

Building an AK receiver out of a garden spade was one of my favorites. :p

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top