JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mailed a shotgun that was supposed to arrive on July 5th. Waiting on the USPS ticket investigation. Worried that I am gonna have to claim it on my insurance. I found it odd if a firearm goes missing, an individual is not required to report.

If you are an individual needing assistance in obtaining a serial number for a firearm, ATF is unable to assist private citizens in locating serial numbers as there is no national registration system.

Sorry you have to hassle with this. What a pain.

You mentioned that you find it odd that there is no requirement to report a missing firearm.

I'm guessing that this particular situation would fall under Oregon SB 554, Section 5, requiring owner to report loss or theft of firearm.

At least, when the USPS investigation has completed and they officially notify you that they cannot find the firearm. At that point I supposed that it would be officially "lost".

Sorry you have to hassle with this. What a pain.

You mentioned that you find it odd that there is no requirement to report a missing firearm.

I'm guessing that this particular situation would fall under Oregon SB 554, Section 5, requiring owner to report loss or theft of firearm.

At least, when the USPS investigation has completed and they officially notify you that they cannot find the firearm. At that point I supposed that it would be officially "lost".
I guess then I submit a lost/stolen firearm with the city of portland as I have no idea where it is and last known whereabouts was in Portland.

I guess then I submit a lost/stolen firearm with the city of portland as I have no idea where it is and last known whereabouts was in Portland.
Below is a cut and past from Section 5 of SB 554. It provides directions on reporting a lost firearm.

<><><><><><><><

(Loss or Theft Reporting)
SECTION 5. (1)(a) A person who owns, possesses or controls a firearm shall report the loss or theft of the firearm to a law enforcement agency in the jurisdiction in which the loss
or theft occurred as soon as practicable but not later than within 72 hours of the time the person knew or reasonably should have known of the loss or theft.
(b) If a means of reporting a loss or theft of a firearm within 72 hours is not reasonably available, the person who owned, possessed or controlled the firearm that was lost or stolen must report the loss or theft within 24 hours of the means of reporting becoming available.
(c) A person may include the serial number of the firearm in a report under this sub- section.
(2)(a) A violation of subsection (1) of this section is a Class B violation.
(b) Each firearm for which a person does not make the report within the time required by subsection (1) of this section constitutes a separate violation.
(c) A person who knowingly provides false information in a report required by subsection (1) of this section commits the crime of initiating a false report under ORS 162.375.
(3) If a lost or stolen firearm is used to injure a person or property and the person who owned, possessed or controlled the firearm at the time of the loss or theft did not report the loss or theft as required by subsection (1) of this section, in an action against the person who owned, possessed or controlled the firearm at the time of the loss or theft to recover damages for the injury, the violation constitutes negligence per se for two years from the expiration of the time limit for reporting or until the loss or theft report is made, whichever occurs sooner. The presumption of negligence may not be overcome by a showing that the person acted reasonably.
(4) Subsection (3) of this section does not apply if the injury results from a lawful act of self-defense or defense of another person.
(5)(a) Within 24 hours of receiving a report under subsection (1) of this section, a law enforcement agency shall create a record concerning the lost or stolen firearm in the Law Enforcement Data System or another electronic database as determined by the Department of State Police.
(b) A law enforcement agency is exempt from the obligation described in paragraph (a) of this subsection if the agency is unable to create a record concerning the lost or stolen firearm in the electronic database due to insufficient information.
(c) The department may adopt rules to carry out the provisions of this subsection.

1657662367146.png 1657662367092.png

So, technically the carrier is the one in "possession" or "control" of the firearm, as it was in their care when lost/stolen. If so, wouldn't the duty to report the loss/theft be theirs?

Not a fan of shipping firearms with USPS. There are a lot of thieves that work there. Hopefully you had it insured so they have to pay you for the loss.

Is it insured? Through the carrier? or your own?
1st time I didn't insure via carrier. It was almost doubling the price to ship. Just my luck. I called my insurance. We are waiting on USPS dispute ticket. I hope they find it. I'm stressed. If it doesn't show up thats alot of paperwork with insurance and police online forms. ugh

If it was stolen from a transfer location usps in WA I don't know how someone could just walk out with it. In addition, in the future I'm concerned. It's obvious to some of us what's in a 52" box that is going to _____ outdoor shop. I'm afraid to ship now. Updates this week on investigation. I know I'm not the only one on here that's decided to sell an item and things went sideways.

1st time I didn't insure via carrier. It was almost doubling the price to ship. Just my luck. I called my insurance. We are waiting on USPS dispute ticket. I hope they find it. I'm stressed. If it doesn't show up thats alot of paperwork with insurance and police online forms. ugh
Lesson I've learned shipping usps, FedEx or UPS, and you insure it for full value, in my case, several hundred dollars, it always arrives at its destination.

Liability is restricted to Registered Mail, Priority Mail Express, Insured, and C.O.D. Mail.

Browning is lost. So angry. Not just money it was an antique irreplaceable.

Confusing how someone could just walk away with a package out of a shipping center with no recourse.

Police report filed.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads