JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired a Mec 9000 shotgun loader. I have been pistol and rifle loading for about 15 years on my Dillons but have no experience with shotgun. Only reason I haven't sold it yet it because I'm getting into 3 gun over the next couple months and might need it. I did some research on the machine and apparently it's a good one.

Anybody with any experience is it even worth it? I know the cost breakdown for metallic loading but have no clue for shotgun. When I can buy a box of shells for $5-$6 is it worth reloading at that cost? Can you reload slugs? I guess just looking for some overall info and advice from people who already do it.

Thanks

I think factory slugs and buck are like a buck a pop.. if you reload in a certain way (casting your own slugs/yadda), it'd probably be close to nevermind

Mec 9000 Manual
"is it even worth it?" Yes.

It takes some experimentation for each recipe to get it right.
Size the wad to the powder charge and payload for that type shotshell hull.

Shotshell crimps have 6 and 8 stars, don't mix them up.
Find the high-low spot in the crimper with the shell.
The wrong way will crush the crimp (bad).
The right way will make a perfect crimp.

Ordered slug loads more than a month ago, still no prospects from dealer.
Bought Lee's 1 oz slug mold (received 2 weeks ago).
Disappointed to discover powders that Lee recommends are not available.
Ordered a Mossberg 930 JM 12ga., arrived Tuesday.
I have Lee Load-All II (12ga and 20ga).
Found a can (dated 1983) of Unique in the waay back of the gun stuff cabinet.
Instead of using Lee's powder scoop, I used a scale (caution when working-up a new recipe)
Tested loads Thursday. Patterned, chronograph-ed 6 loads.
Minimum velocity dispersion, minimum slug pattern.
My first 3-gun match is tomorrow.

I received the same shotgun yesterday and was thinking about shooting in a match tomorrow but am going to wait as I still need to get my belt rig.

After all the research I've done it seems like I will save a small amount (a few cents per round) on bird shot loads IF I can get a good deal on lead. Slugs and buck shot seem more economical if you cast your own.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top