JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh, you should definitely get a .25 or .380. 9s and 40s are way too big to start out with. Since you haven't done your homework, you've probably never used a firearm in your life so you should start small. Cause who knows, if you get one that makes sense, maybe you'll decide you don't like guns and stuff. And then you'll be stuck with one that's really easy to sell. And stuff.
Good luck with the original topic though, shotguns are really fun if you have time to use them.

Rolflmao!

I know that's sarcasm but it does seem some people are of that opinion of the OP.

Can't say I know him personally but I have talked with him privately and he is no novice to the gun culture.

In fact, I now hope to meet him someday.

Oh, you should definitely get a .25 or .380. 9s and 40s are way too big to start out with. Since you haven't done your homework, you've probably never used a firearm in your life so you should start small. Cause who knows, if you get one that makes sense, maybe you'll decide you don't like guns and stuff. And then you'll be stuck with one that's really easy to sell. And stuff.
Good luck with the original topic though, shotguns are really fun if you have time to use them.

so a 460 is out of the question? Read that on a forum doing my homework. it said that its stopping power was a sure thing (to include Yeti's) -

so a 460 is out of the question? Read that on a forum doing my homework. it said that its stopping power was a sure thing (to include Yeti's) -
I've got a .458 elephant killer you could try. I want to help with your research as much as I can so I'll cut the barrel down to the chamber and put a pistol grip on it. It may be just the ticket.

Lance is just looking out for the industry. He thinks you should buy one of each, ie, do your research. :rolleyes:

No, I am just old-school in my outlook. I lived the first 35 years of my life without the Internet, and got used to not relying on it.

I just don't have a high opinion of learning stuff in online forums. It is not an effective way to learn anything, in my opinion.

But perhaps I am like the dinosaurs, and no longer in style.

20246540.jpg

20246540.jpg

Last Edited:
BTW I have read 35 books since last March in addition my day job which is really more like a life style.

In that case, if your are a very proficient reader, you should then be fully capable of doing some reading on the topic of shotguns, and trap and skeet shooting too. I was certainly not accusing you of never reading anything, simply by suggesting books as a good source of fundamental information. You, like others here, are reading way, way too much into my statements. There is no need for you to be so defensive.

In fact, I would say that this thread is a good example of the shortcomings of Internet forums, and how people can take comments out of their proper context and intent. If anything, it proves my point about them.

I simply have a much more old-school outlook and approach, and don't put much worth at all in the idea that one can learn knowledge from an Internet forum. Now if you want to discount and ignore my advice, that is fine. But that is my own personal opinion, based on my own life experience, and what I see going on in online forums that I visit.

Online forums are not the greatest thing since sliced bread, in my opinion.

buttered-toast-8f753_MAIN.jpg

buttered-toast-8f753_MAIN.jpg

Last Edited:
In that case, if your are a very proficient reader, you should then be fully capable of doing some reading on the topic of shotguns, and trap and skeet shooting too. I was certainly not accusing you of never reading anything, simply by suggesting books as a good source of fundamental information. You, like others here, are reading way, way too much into my statements.

In fact, I would say that this thread is a good example of the shortcomings of Internet forums, and how people can take comments out of their proper context and intent. If anything, it proves my point about them.

I simply have a much more old-school outlook and approach, and don't put much worth at all in the idea that one can learn knowledge from an Internet forum. Now if you want to discount and ignore my advice, that is fine. But that is my own personal opinion, based on my own life experience, and what I see going on in online forums that I visit.

Online forums are not the greatest thing since sliced bread, in my opinion.

View attachment 274958
really - you're wrong - again - reread all of the posts excluding yours. you'll find the advice in general is consistent and almost predictable after the first page. I can appreciate your perspective, in a way, but you might need to rethink thing forums and the information they provide. If you are gullible and believe what you read it wont matter where you get your information from books, forums or from the guy who said to john who said to frank that XXX is a good idea. But this forum in general is a great place to learn if you read everything with common sense. Are there crazy people who would say to buy a 2 bore and go nuts - yes...but in general most people are good and, I think, want to help

btw I read 38 books. I am on 39th now. I feel destined for success :)

Gun shows are coming up soon all over Oregon great place to get good used ShotGuns.
Or hit some gun shops up in their used stuff. I say used cause if you pay full price for an untried and then want something else well it will cost ya. I picked-up and Old Sears/Winchester 100.00 like new 12ga at a gun show a few years ago. Its a great little skeet shooter.

Gun shows are coming up soon all over Oregon great place to get good used ShotGuns.
Or hit some gun shops up in their used stuff. I say used cause if you pay full price for an untried and then want something else well it will cost ya. I picked-up and Old Sears/Winchester 100.00 like new 12ga at a gun show a few years ago. Its a great little skeet shooter.

Used is good!

Even here and arms list if you can handle it.

I bought my favorite 12ga used. Made in 1952 by JC Higgins. Found out they contracted Hi-Standard to make them for years 1952-1953.

End result: A little polishing and cleaning and the thing runs like a race gun for $100 flat.

I've seen people compete in 3 gun with them on YouTube - I call her honey cuz she is silky smooth.:cool:

really - you're wrong - again -

Nope, I am not wrong. I am talking about learning fundamental information. You and everyone else do not seem to understand the point that I have been trying to make throughout this thread.

Perhaps if we were all sitting around a campfire and talking in actual conversations we could understand each other. But here in an online forum, it appears to be completely impossible for us to communicate effectively.

btw I read 38 books. I am on 39th now. I feel destined for success :)

Well again, since you are repeating yourself, let me repeat that you have taken my earlier comment totally out of its proper context and meaning. I honestly don't understand why you are being so extremely defensive like this. I never attacked your intelligence, nor your ability to read. So why on earth do you continue to make comments like this?

But I will say this: If you are unwilling to read any books about shotgunning, or trap, or skeet, then you will probably never become a good shot in either sport.

BTW, that old book by Remington Pro D Lee Braun about trapshooting that I mentioned earlier really is quite superb. It covers all of the fundamentals of the sport in tremendous detail. And as I said, one can find it used on Amazon and eBay.

P.S. -- And let me clarify that I'm not saying to never use the Internet for research. Only that asking questions in a forum well never teach you the basics of any subject, no matter what the subject is.

So tlfreek, you're no longer interested I getting a shotgun, or have you already made your decision?

Dean

tl's post was sarcasm...

Nope, I am not wrong. I am talking about learning fundamental information. You and everyone else do not seem to understand the point that I have been trying to make throughout this thread

Dude! Go start your own thread for christs sake and all of ours! This thread is about shotgun info and not your personal sharing thread on the best way to do things. So stop thread crapping already.

I have no problem understanding your "point" as can most likely everyone on this thread. It really isn't a new concept or even a complicated one as you keep pointing out, but it isn't a FACT, it's your opinion. If you think otherwise then your as dumb as I think you are.

What YOU can't seem to understand is that no one asked or solicited your opinions on that point your trying to make so your point is mute.

If you feel the need to respond to this post, I would recommend copying it and paste it in a new threat titled "Lamce Jacobs advice to the world on how to best live your life" or whatever tickles your fancy. Honestly, at this point it is the only decent thing to do.

Every one has an opinion, OP I think Dick Cheney might have some good advise :oops:.

I was just thinking also look up on Youtube Hickock45 the guy does practical reviews on just about every firearm and is a retired LE.
I think the internet is no different then sitting in a bar, or at a gun store or at the range you are going to get opinions and you are going to get ideas. The key is to do your own due diligence with what information you gather. I like gun shows cause you can pickup easily and feel any gun you like. You cant do that at a bar or the internet.:rolleyes: Well you might pick up something at a bar like an STD or something but I digress have fun and make it enjoyable and if I could give one piece of advice take your time, I dont see them trying on banning shotguns for at least another year.:confused:

Well again, since you are repeating yourself,

nope you misquoted me....

look. I value everyone's opinion here - even those that differ than mine. Actually I appreciate the feedback and different perspectives. We're all good humans!

ok - this thread is officially dead - unless someone wants to say if I can use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers.....ok ok ok - I'll stop and it's over.

Take care good people

nope you misquoted me....

look. I value everyone's opinion here - even those that differ than mine. Actually I appreciate the feedback and different perspectives. We're all good humans!

ok - this thread is officially dead - unless someone wants to say if I can use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers.....ok ok ok - I'll stop and it's over.

Take care good people

Well, in that case, it just further proves my point about how ineffective communications can be in forum messages.

I, for one, would like to know what he decided on.
It's the only way to truly resolve this thread, or any that is an inquiry for opinions.

...c'mon tlfreek, don't be a gremmie, let us know what you decided to do!

Dean

honestly - I have two guns in mind....one is sort of $$ one is much more $$$ - This thread helped figure that out and honestly - i really thought the outcome would be different.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top