Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

shotgun for new shotgunner

Discussion in 'Shotgun Discussion' started by tlfreek, Jan 23, 2016.

1. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

ok I have been thinking about this for a while and I think I wanna start getting into trap and skeet. I doubt I will ever be serious and I am almost positive I will never compete. Considering this what type of gun and gauge do you think is best? I dont need super analytical analysis (i dont think).. if you think a 20 gauge over under is all i need let me know I can start to look for one.

**disclaimer...I did absolutely no analysis/searching before posting this.....I am looking to this forum for help.

thanks a bunch.

2. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

12ga pump.

I prefer Remington 870's.

You can turn it into a defense home gun, go turkey hunting, deer hunting etc.

One barrel is easier to shoot then two.

dplev4, tlfreek, Flopsweat and 3 others like this.
  3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I'll second what Joe13 said, a pump shotgun is just fine for trap for someone that just wants to do it for fun from time to time. I agree with Joe on the Remington 870, but I'm also a fan of the Mossberg 500. Both pumps are inexpensive, have good product support and have options if you ever wanted to convert it to home defense or even slugs for deer hunting. You really can't go wrong with either one. You should be able to get into either model for under $400, probably under $350.

tlfreek, Joe13, Flopsweat and 2 others like this.
  4. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

What he said.
    Definitely go 12ga.
    It's hard to go wrong with an 870.

tlfreek, Joe13 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. pietro beretta

pietro beretta Spokane, WA Active Member 2016 Volunteer

My first was a Mossberg 500 but found myself liking the Remington 870 more, great first shotgun very versatile with either. My two cents.

Now I find myself interested in that KelTec monstrosity, the KSG.

tlfreek likes this.
  6. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

500px-CobrayStreetSweeper.jpg
    :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  7. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

DuneHopper and tlfreek like this.
  8. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

An old Rem 1100 is a great skeet gun.

ron, tlfreek and Flopsweat like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Hard to beat the 870 or the mossy 500 series! Both very proven, both battle tested, and both seriously up gradable! If you ever decided to get out of it, you can probably recover most if not all your investment! For a more classical pump shot gun, a Winchester mod 12 works very well too. I see them from time to time in good shape for about $300 or so depending on condition! The Take down models are awesome!!!

tlfreek, Joe13 and etrain16 like this.
  10. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

thanks guys - great advice. I'll look to buy a 10 gauge street sweeper and bring that to the range. Seriously I might actually have a gun that fits the specifics you guys are talking about. thanks again.,

x2ndxall and etrain16 like this.
  11. zeppelin

zeppelin Benton County WA Active Member

Mossberg 500 definitely for a beginner. If you upgrade make sure you don't get a gas operated shotgun. With much shooting they get dirty way to fast and require lots of effort to keep clean. Not worth it.

tlfreek likes this.
  12. semperfi68to70

semperfi68to70 South Salem, Oregon Well-Known Member

I used to shoot trap and skeet competitively and I still shoot both quite frequently. I think for the new shooter getting into this the best choice is a Remington 1100. I am going to suggest a 12 gauge with a 26” barrel and the RemChoke system. It won’t come with the gun, but spring for a skeet choke tube. I know some guys use the IC tube, but you’re better off with the skeet choke. Use the full choke tube for trap. If you are looking for one single shotgun that won’t break the bank and will do a great job in both games; this is it. I choose the 1100 over the 870 because a pump gun causes you to come up off of your sighting plain for your second shot on doubles. You shoot doubles at stations 1, 2, 6 and 7 so this can cost you missed birds for that reason alone. The 1100 will take up a significant amount of the recoil with its gas system and if you end up shooting four or five rounds in a day, you’ll appreciate that. The 1100 is a great gun to hunt with as well.

Shooting skeet with a 20 gauge or even a 28 gauge or .410 is a lot of fun when you get really good at it as it adds another challenge to the game. It is not appropriate for trap shooting and would be such a handicap you would probably stop shooting it.

The 1100 was the first shotgun I started with before I moved on to a nice O/U for skeet. I still prefer the 1100 for trap. Have a great time.

ATCclears, ron, tlfreek and 2 others like this.
  13. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

BECAUSE you said you probably wouldn't get serious, or possibly wouldn't even do it... 12ga Mossberg-500... It's ALL business!

image.jpeg

Bow down your heads to the Mossys!!!
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  14. etrain16

Sigh...I really need to get a bayonet on my 590A1:rolleyes:

15. Stomper

Your piggies will HATE it! :D

16. etrain16

I don't suppose there is a story to go along with that? o_O

tlfreek and Ura-Ki like this.
  17. Stomper

No story, just commonly referred to as a "pig sticker". :D

tlfreek, Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  18. etrain16

Darn, I thought maybe you dropped your shotgun, bayonet down on your "piggies". That would have been a story. :(

Ura-Ki, Joe13 and Stomper like this.
  19. Stomper

o_O;)

tlfreek likes this.
  20. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

12 Gauge ammunition, being the most popular, is usually the cheapest. I can attest to what Semper said about recoil - I've owned an 1100 and an 870, and the 1100 is what I shot trap with. It really is noticeably easier on the shoulder after fifty or a hundred rounds. Either one will serve you well, but the 1100 is a little better.

ATCclears and tlfreek like this.