JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ok I have been thinking about this for a while and I think I wanna start getting into trap and skeet. I doubt I will ever be serious and I am almost positive I will never compete. Considering this what type of gun and gauge do you think is best? I dont need super analytical analysis (i dont think).. if you think a 20 gauge over under is all i need let me know I can start to look for one.

**disclaimer...I did absolutely no analysis/searching before posting this.....I am looking to this forum for help.

thanks a bunch.

I'll second what Joe13 said, a pump shotgun is just fine for trap for someone that just wants to do it for fun from time to time. I agree with Joe on the Remington 870, but I'm also a fan of the Mossberg 500. Both pumps are inexpensive, have good product support and have options if you ever wanted to convert it to home defense or even slugs for deer hunting. You really can't go wrong with either one. You should be able to get into either model for under $400, probably under $350.

My first was a Mossberg 500 but found myself liking the Remington 870 more, great first shotgun very versatile with either. My two cents.

Now I find myself interested in that KelTec monstrosity, the KSG.

What he said.
Definitely go 12ga.
500px-CobrayStreetSweeper.jpg
:D

Last Edited:
Hard to beat the 870 or the mossy 500 series! Both very proven, both battle tested, and both seriously up gradable! If you ever decided to get out of it, you can probably recover most if not all your investment! For a more classical pump shot gun, a Winchester mod 12 works very well too. I see them from time to time in good shape for about $300 or so depending on condition! The Take down models are awesome!!!

thanks guys - great advice. I'll look to buy a 10 gauge street sweeper and bring that to the range. Seriously I might actually have a gun that fits the specifics you guys are talking about. thanks again.,

Mossberg 500 definitely for a beginner. If you upgrade make sure you don't get a gas operated shotgun. With much shooting they get dirty way to fast and require lots of effort to keep clean. Not worth it.

I used to shoot trap and skeet competitively and I still shoot both quite frequently. I think for the new shooter getting into this the best choice is a Remington 1100. I am going to suggest a 12 gauge with a 26" barrel and the RemChoke system. It won't come with the gun, but spring for a skeet choke tube. I know some guys use the IC tube, but you're better off with the skeet choke. Use the full choke tube for trap. If you are looking for one single shotgun that won't break the bank and will do a great job in both games; this is it. I choose the 1100 over the 870 because a pump gun causes you to come up off of your sighting plain for your second shot on doubles. You shoot doubles at stations 1, 2, 6 and 7 so this can cost you missed birds for that reason alone. The 1100 will take up a significant amount of the recoil with its gas system and if you end up shooting four or five rounds in a day, you'll appreciate that. The 1100 is a great gun to hunt with as well.

Shooting skeet with a 20 gauge or even a 28 gauge or .410 is a lot of fun when you get really good at it as it adds another challenge to the game. It is not appropriate for trap shooting and would be such a handicap you would probably stop shooting it.

The 1100 was the first shotgun I started with before I moved on to a nice O/U for skeet. I still prefer the 1100 for trap. Have a great time.

12 Gauge ammunition, being the most popular, is usually the cheapest. I can attest to what Semper said about recoil - I've owned an 1100 and an 870, and the 1100 is what I shot trap with. It really is noticeably easier on the shoulder after fifty or a hundred rounds. Either one will serve you well, but the 1100 is a little better.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top