JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been getting into trap a bunch with my girlfriend. We'd been busting clays from our little mechanical thrower for a few years and were feeling pretty good about ourselves... and then trap has humbled us! We've practicing up at the Vancouver Trap and Gun Club, working on things as we can and both of us have been reading up a bunch to see what we can learn. Good times for sure, not all that expensive, and if you are considering it, stop and just come on out already!

Anyways, in our reading on ways to improve, one thing we see mentioned a lot is fitment. Neither of the shotguns we used were purchased based on fit. The girlfriend is shooting a Benelli Nova. and that choise was made as I have another Benelli Nova (18" barrel) that she absolutely loves... and given how easy it is to field strip, I picked it up for her. I treated myself to a Beretta A391 Xtrma 2 as I found a killer price on it used, and knew I'd never see a shotgun this nice for this price ever again. I added the kickoff system so as I could have a nice light recoiling and good shotgun as well.

So... is there somebody or somewhere we could go to work with on fit? We don't even have the foggiest!

Shooting trap wih an 18" barrel is the first thing you need to correct. You'll do better with a 26"-28" barrel, maybe with an IMC (improved modified choke).

I slay the hell out of ducks (60 mph bullet dodgers they are!) and don't shoot clays regularly, but I usually average 21-23 out of 25 when I shoot them for giggles with my Weatherby SA-08, 26" barrel, IMC.

Hmm. I wasn't clear perhaps. She liked the 18" be Benelli so much we got her the same gun with a 28" barrel. Both of our shotguns are 28" with modified chokes.

I did a diy method of fitting shotgun to girlfriend, took her to cabela's and shouldered every shotgun in store, then measured the dimensions of one that she was able to get best stance with. Then bravely cut down the stock to match on the gun at home.

If not looking to risk a stock, would suggest talking to the guys at the trap range your going to, likely they have a few different guns, or an adjustable gun, and would know who does the mod's to your shotgun.

Jesse, I was in your position a short while ago. I purchased a NIB but previously owned Benelli Nova, and have been going to the trap club for a while. The gun just bloodied my nose. It took the RSO exactly 4 seconds to tell me the stock was too short. Doh!

My cheap & nasty test: Had my wife take photos of me with various shotguns and rifles, holding the camera to the left side of my body (right handed), to show me where the trigger guard/trigger finger and right hand thumb naturally line up with each gun. I then realized what was a good fit for me. (It helps to have a bunch of firearms to get the best combination.) In my case simply adding a slip on pad was enough to lengthen the pull.

Good luck.

I know Hillsboro trap and Skeet club has a trainer that teaches about proper fitment, among other things. I keep wanting to take his class but the times just haven't lined up for it yet.

Ya know, not everybody (maybe nobody) appreciates Warren at the Gun Room on Foster Road, but he is very good at determining shotgun fit.

WAYNO.

Good luck on finding a fitter, i'm interested myself. However, in the meantime, this book *really* helped.

I was ready to sell my new Winchester because it was beating me within a month of sundays, following this book, which i have still to finish, has helped me realise i don't need to sell.

Years of shooting clays with no problems didn't help with the new gun, this book did.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451570384/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got a lot of history in it, and can be a slog, lots of text, however, it's worth it. To the point where i was able to help a friend switch to right handed firing *and* hitting clays consistently (he's left handed, right eye dom) with only a few tips from the book :)

So I've been getting into trap a bunch with my girlfriend. We'd been busting clays from our little mechanical thrower for a few years and were feeling pretty good about ourselves... and then trap has humbled us! We've practicing up at the Vancouver Trap and Gun Club, working on things as we can and both of us have been reading up a bunch to see what we can learn. Good times for sure, not all that expensive, and if you are considering it, stop and just come on out already!

Anyways, in our reading on ways to improve, one thing we see mentioned a lot is fitment. Neither of the shotguns we used were purchased based on fit. The girlfriend is shooting a Benelli Nova. and that choise was made as I have another Benelli Nova (18" barrel) that she absolutely loves... and given how easy it is to field strip, I picked it up for her. I treated myself to a Beretta A391 Xtrma 2 as I found a killer price on it used, and knew I'd never see a shotgun this nice for this price ever again. I added the kickoff system so as I could have a nice light recoiling and good shotgun as well.

So... is there somebody or somewhere we could go to work with on fit? We don't even have the foggiest!

Shooter's Emporium specializes in this, out on 122d or 148th, don't remember but easy to find. They did my Citori, fitted, spacer and new pad for about $70 a few years back.

Bend your elbow @ 30 -40 Deg's
Measure from the inside of your forarm/Upper arm to the end of your fingers.
LOP for your stock.:)

I shot a lot of trap back in the day, with Duck guns, as that was what I was practicing for! We used Full choke guns for ducks and they worked very well for trap. You might be handicapping yourselves with those Modified's
Good luck, to you!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top