JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw a bunch of geese fly over my house this morning and it reminded me. I never bought that new shotgun I wanted at the end of last season!!

So I have been looking on some websites and can’t seem to make up my mind. I would like a 12ga auto, that can shoot 3 1/2". I mainly just hunt geese, but occasionally will shoot the transient duck.

I have heard good things about the Benelli Double Black Eagle, it looks nice....except for the price tag.

Do you have a good shotgun that you would recommend?

I shoot a BPS but a bunch of friends talk up the Beretta Extrema. If you like the Benelli you might want to check out their cheaper cousin Stoeger.
<broken link removed>
I have no experience with these but they sure look similar.
Good luck!

I shot an 11/87 super mag for a couple seasons and really liked it. I ended up using it in a trade though on another rifle. If i wanted to go back to an auto I would pick another one up in a heart beat.

The Super Black Eagle II is what you want if you need to be really cool.And it's a heck of a great shotgun.
Fastest reciprocating,blah,blah,blah. Trust me this isn't a great feature,cause I can go through plenty of shells with any semi auto.
And the stock makes the recoil really light.

I would never buy another Stoeger anything.Just because they are made or owned by Benelli,doesn't mean they are anywhere near the quality.

Which brings us to the guys like Browning and Beretta (my personal fave) These are great quality,a little less than a Benelli (but there are more sales on them) and put plenty of rounds out in the air.I just traded one off for a police shotgun cause I didn't hunt this year.

I chose the Beretta mainly because of the safety placement in front of the trigger guard.Just more natural for me.
The gun takes down and reassembles easy and was rust proof after 2 seasons on salt water. But I would get a cammo next time or have it ceracoated.

You have to choose these like you do any gun,just go shoulder them all in the store and try the safeties for a good position for YOU.Sucks fumbling for the safety when the birds surprise you.
You know,right as you poor coffee?

Well, although it only shoots 70 and 76mm 12g. shells, the Saiga can easily handle up to magnum slugs. I can keep a 5-shot group within just a few inches at 100 yards from prone, so it is accurate enough for a smoothbore. You can also easily scope it.

There is a (somewhat overly) enthusiastic duck hunter at the end of this video. Torture Testing the Saiga 12 - YouTube

OTOH, here's some mixed reviews of using a Saiga for birds: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72189-saiga-12-good-duck-huntin-gun/

Keith

I have shot most of the new guns available and some of the older ones.
1. Beretta A400 The Class of the Field
2. Benelli SBE II Tried and True
3. Browning Maxus Great Gun
4. Winchester SX3 Too light
5. Benelli Super Vinci Too much recoil
6. Rem 11-87 SM High Maint.
7. Rem Versamax (never shot one but the last 3 Remington Auto shotguns were flops)

For me, when choosing a shotgun for updand game or waterfowl, fit and swing is everything. Most well made semi auto shotguns will do the job for Ducks and Geese. The last major shotgun purchase I made was several years ago when I was looking for a new shotgun for pheasants, waterfowl, and the occaisonal trap or skeet session. I narrowed my choices down for my price range to either a Beretta 686 or a Browning Citori. There were things I liked about both guns, but at the end of the day the Browning just came to my shoulder and swung more naturally than the Beretta. I went with the Citori LW Sporter and have been very happy with it.

Best bet is go to the gun shows or gun shops to feel them. You gotta find shotgun that feel good to you. Just people people said it's good, it may not for you.

Good luck.

Winchester SX3 / Beretta Urika is good start.

It's fnny how a shot gun can look real nice and have rave reviews and feels good,then you pick up another and it just goes to your shoulder perfect.
Usually the expensive U/O for me

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top