Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shotgun Blank questions

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Otis, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Otis

Otis Vancouver, WA Member

I am in search if some shotgun blanks to use for a training to simulate the sound of an explosion during a natural disaster, just the sound is what I'm after. I am trying to simulate a natural disaster where there are explosions and had the idea of using shotgun blanks for this. I am thinking they would be the safest thing compared to another type of explosive mainly because people would be walking around and such. I was already turned down for using dry ice bombs but think I can get approval for shotgun blanks.

Problem is I need them to be loud and heard about a half mile away to get someone's attention. I have seen a few for sale but before I spend the money I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

So the questions I have this far are:

I see black powder ones and smokeless powder. Is one louder than the other?

Is there a particular one out there that someone would recommend?

Am I going the wrong direction?

Are there better ideas?

The scenario is not shooting anyone or have anything to do with guns for that matter. I also understand that people can still be hurt with blank ammunition and I will ensure that all proper gun handling practices are met.

Oh and this will be outdoors in a rural area with no chance of passerby's.

If you need more clarification please let me know. Thanks for any suggestions.

Otis

2. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

Lol @ the piss-tube avatar MTpockets!

+1 for a propane cannon. Shotshell blanks aren't going to give much of an 'explosive' impression.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  3. WasrNwarpaint

WasrNwarpaint Portland Well-Known Member

no point trying to get louder....go with a recording...or you will need to pass out hearing protection......lawsuits for hearing damage, I see in your future

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

How about a bottle rocket with report.. they have some pretty large ones.. hey, you won't deafen anyone since it's way up there but you might burn the town down so it's probably a wash. lol
    Actually, I had a buddy that always double loaded the red plastic 12 ga blanks to make them louder.. they were louder.. especially in hallways