JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just moved to Florence and wanted to try the Defensive Multigun Leagues' match for July.
As it turns out it was geared for rifle,but they did have a 'pistol only' category on 3 stages,I was shooting my 1911 that day, in the 'pistol only' division.

What a great group to shoot with ! Very safety conscious , and helpful. They made sure you understood the course of fire,and helped along the way thru the course.

next months shoot is gonna be super fun...3 gun/r,p,sg, and some 'primitive' weapons too. Up to and including rock throwing, lol. Yet to be decided on that one.

btw,theyhave very nice covered shooting bays,it's a very nice club. Siuslaw rod and gun club.Less than 2 minutes off of hiway 101, Florence.

just moved to Florence and wanted to try the Defensive Multigun Leagues' match for July.
As it turns out it was geared for rifle,but they did have a 'pistol only' category on 3 stages,I was shooting my 1911 that day, in the 'pistol only' division.

What a great group to shoot with ! Very safety conscious , and helpful. They made sure you understood the course of fire,and helped along the way thru the course.

next months shoot is gonna be super fun...3 gun/r,p,sg, and some 'primitive' weapons too. Up to and including rock throwing, lol. Yet to be decided on that one.

btw,theyhave very nice covered shooting bays,it's a very nice club. Siuslaw rod and gun club.Less than 2 minutes off of hiway 101, Florence.

This is the first that I have heard of 3 gun competition at Siuslaw Rod & Gun Club. Have they been doing this for very long? I know that they have a great sporting clays program there, as I have shot it quite a few times. And I had heard about their Cowboy Action program. But this is news to me that they now have defensive matches too.

BTW, I've always found the Sporting Clays crowd at that range to be a great bunch of friendly people. The people running it are very safety conscious with a very welcoming atmosphere for shooters. I've always enjoyed shooting there immensely.

Is it very expensive? Do you have to be a member of the club in order to participate?? I've watched so much 3 gun shooting on the Sportsman Channel and the Outdoor Channel that I have often thought it would be fun to give it a try. Do you think that they would be willing to work with someone that is a beginner to the sport, but an experienced shooter in other types of shooting sports?

I'll have to look into the August monthly shoot. Thanks for mentioning this!

P.S. - I went to the club's website, and found this page with info about these Defensive Multi-gun matches:

http://www.siuslawgunclub.com/siuslaw-defensive-multi-gun/

$20 is a very reasonable fee. And it seems that they are very novice friendly. The course of fire sounds like it is rather simple and straightforward, and does not require a lot of ammo.

Still not 100% sure if membership in the club is required. It would seem that it must be. On the Sporting Clays page they mention that it is one of the few courses that is open to the public. I'll have to email the contact person for the Defensive Multi-gun and find out.

Thanks again for mentioning this.

I don't believe membership is requried,no one checked id's or asked. And yes,they will almost walk u thur the course of fire to help a beginner,they did me.I've shot for years,but this was new to me,and what fun !!
It sounded like the august shoot was going to be something special,and a lot of fun.

I don't believe membership is requried,no one checked id's or asked. And yes,they will almost walk u thur the course of fire to help a beginner,they did me.I've shot for years,but this was new to me,and what fun !!
It sounded like the august shoot was going to be something special,and a lot of fun.

Well, I don't know if I would be up for rock throwing in the August event either. :eek:

But it does indeed sound like a lot of fun, and a good opportunity for someone who is new to the sport. I had no idea that their range had been upgraded so much My health is not that great, but I will try my best to make the August shoot. It sounds like the courses of fire are short and don't require a lot of ammo, which is perfectly fine by me.

It is nice and cool on the coast too. Would be a great opportunity to escape our hot summer weather.

we've barely hit 70 this year,we may hit 80 this week they say,still waaaaaaaay better than what the valley dwellers have had to deal with. ugh
No one was pushed or rushed at the last match,they make sure you get to run the stage at your level and speed,.
If you want to make it less stressful on the body,they will be again offering 'pistol only' catagory.
the range has been totally upgraded with new buildings to shoot out of,etc.

If you want to make it less stressful on the body,they will be again offering 'pistol only' catagory.

No, if I shoot, I would want to shoot all three guns. That would be a big part of the appeal to me. Besides, I'm a much better shot with a shotgun and a rifle than I am with a handgun. Which is ironic since my family wanted me to become a good pistol shot, like two of my Dad's cousins were. One won the 45 caliber pistol title at Camp Perry one year. He did not win the overall pistol title, though, just the .45 stage, which included 30 rounds each of timed and rapid fire at 25 yards, and 30 rounds slow fire at 50 yards.. And the other cousin was actually much more famous for winning the 1940 International Indoor Pistol Shooting Championship in San Francisco, which was just shot slow fire with 22 caliber pistols indoors. Shot 299 out of 300, which was a record breaking score at the time.

the range has been totally upgraded with new buildings to shoot out of,etc.

Yes, I saw photos of that on their website. That is great to see that the range is thriving and growing.

Here is a photo of my 3rd cousin that won the 1940 World Indoor Pistol Championship. It was quite sensational news at the time, since all of the other competitors from around the world and the USA were men, She was featured in both Time Magazine and even National Geographic, the nation was so astounded by her incredible victory.

Back in 1940, it was quite unheard of for a woman to beat men in any sort of sport or competition. Let alone become a World Champion in a men's sport.

All target shooting back then was done with revolvers.

jacobs.jpg

wow,how interesting,especially to me because my dad was cop,and competed heavily back then. I have the remains of some of his medals,the ravages of time and Florida humidity were not kind to them. Those were the glory days of revolver shooting for sure.

wow,how interesting,especially to me because my dad was cop,and competed heavily back then. I have the remains of some of his medals,the ravages of time and Florida humidity were not kind to them. Those were the glory days of revolver shooting for sure.

Gloria's Dad was Captain Henry Jacobs of the California Highway Patrol. He was my Dad's first cousin, and he won the men's .45 pistol title at Camp Perry once. Gloria was his only child, and he started to teach her to shoot at age 11.

She was actually only just 17, and still in High School, when she won the International Indoor Title, which made her victory all the more shocking at the time.

The news headlines read: 1940 WORLD'S PISTOL CHAMP IS A GIRL! Her skills were hailed as being as great as those of the lengendary Annie Oakley.

There was no television back then, but Movietone news sent a crew to film and report on her accomplishment, which was shown in movie theaters all across America. Here is a link to some of that footage, showing her at age 17. The police officer standing with her at the end is her Dad.

She broke all of the then NRA's women's pistol shooting records for .22, .38 and .45 caliber in slow fire, timed fire and rapid fire. Some of her slow fire scores were so good, that they stood for two decades before they were broken.

Here is some of the film from the Movietone news coverage of her, at age 17:

http://www.efootage.com/stock-footage/64263/1940_Worlds_Pistol_Champ_Is_A_Girl!/

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads