JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never got a phone app timer to pick up shots reliably. They do work ok as a par timer for drills but I just gave up and bought a timer (ced7000 is great by the way it picks up every shot even from a .22 indoors without picking up the guy in the next lane)

I've never got a phone app timer to pick up shots reliably. They do work ok as a par timer for drills but I just gave up and bought a timer (ced7000 is great by the way it picks up every shot even from a .22 indoors without picking up the guy in the next lane)
What's the price like on one and can I get it locally in Portland or do I need to order it?

I also haven't got the free app timers to work so well, so I bought a timer, but! If you just download the free timer apps and try them out you'll be able to use them to some degree. I just could never get them to reliably pick up shots.

90AD9812-513C-489F-9C5D-E7E048401CC9.png

Same manufacturer I got mine from. They have a 1 and a 2 now, not sure of the differences. Price kinda stunk, but it works really well.

The difference is the layout of the buttons. A better pickup mic. I like the button layout on the 2. Good long battery life. easy to use. one of the best tools in your shooting bag

Good to know, I bought the 2 on sale. Hell, If you get an amazon card you get 5% back on amazon.

:s0068:
So, looks like people still aren't totally satisfied with phone app timers, so I thought I'd bump this thread back up top rather than start a new one.

In the nearly-2 years since the OP asked this, has anyone found a hand-held timer that they can't stop singing the praises thereof?
Willing to spend a coupla hunnert dollas for one if it's really worth the price.
Range Tech? Competition Electronics?? Others???
Thanks, guyz.

Been chattin' with him about it in this thread (which spawned the bump on this one).
But he uses Android. I use iPhone. We are at loggerheads... :oops:

So I was going to move toward a hand-held, competition-level timer.

Last Edited:
I tried the free IPSC Timer app while I was waiting for my Pocket pro 2 to arrive. This was on an outdoor range (i.e. woods). It worked so well I wondered whether I should have spent the money on the pocket pro. But the money was already spent.

On the other hand, using the pocket pro allows me to use the phone to video record myself for, uh, training and to admire how cool I look.

I prefer Competition Electronics. Version 2.
There is also CED and Pact brand timers. All have pros and cons....

I went with Competion Electronics as that is what we use at speed steel matches and was already familiar with them. I have no experience with the other two brands. YMMV

I tried the free IPSC Timer app while I was waiting for my Pocket pro 2 to arrive. This was on an outdoor range (i.e. woods). It worked so well I wondered whether I should have spent the money on the pocket pro. But the money was already spent.

On the other hand, using the pocket pro allows me to use the phone to video record myself for, uh, training and to admire how cool I look.
@Nocaster I saw your WTB ad in my search, but it appears that you never got a reply to your query.

What do you have to say about the Pocket Pro?

I prefer Competition Electronics. Version 2.
There is also CED and Pact brand timers. All have pros and cons....

I went with Competion Electronics as that is what we use at speed steel matches and was already familiar with them. I have no experience with the other two brands. YMMV
I believe that's what my range uses (Competition Electronics) for comps. Not sure of the version. About how much do they run?

I thought there was another thread in this group with more phone app options... at least not the first time I recall the subject coming up.

As I mentioned in another thread, Ive had great luck with the Splits app for Android phones. Been using this for a few years now and haven't had a reason to break down and buy a real shot timer.

I thought there was another thread in this group with more phone app options... at least not the first time I recall the subject coming up.

As I mentioned in another thread, Ive had great luck with the Splits app for Android phones. Been using this for a few years now and haven't had a reason to break down and buy a real shot timer.

Was looking for something in iPhone if I was gonna go with an app.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top