JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
An oddity or hypocrisy?

A reliable acquaintance of mine recently returned from the Shot Show and told me that CHL holders we not allow to "carry" in the Shot Show...:s0002:

I'm all for individual liberty, but find it remarkable that so-many hard-core, "to the death", "no surrogates needed", and "cold dead hands" 2A supporters (including a prominent-local radio talk show host) who many have also claimed to never willingly give up their God given right to self defense; find a way to do so to attend the Shot Show.....?

Obey or ignore the signs; it must be worth it to attend.

Ignore but I am not one that loves to thirst & gorge on the latest n greatest. What I have has worked great for the last decade or more.

A Private Gun Show. The folks putting it on rent the place. It does not matter if the facilities are publicly owned. Private Show, private rules. If the proprietors want to prohibit guns, they have the right too. They can pretty do whatever they choose.

And ... never start a paragraph with a conjunction! No .... wait. What I mean is that we/you/I also have the absolute right not to attend that show. We have a duty not to place our persons into harms way. Or a potential harms way. Our choice.

The proprietors probably do not have any insurance. They are probably self insured. They also probably had to post a huge $bond$ before the hall owners would let them rent the joint for the show. I am sure the private guards are heavily armed.

Like Mark said it's the insurance companies that set the rules
BUT!!!! If you have worked at a gun shop for a day,you understand what they don't allow guns. People think it's jus fine to try holsters without clearing their weapons,gotta shot the new sidearm off too.
Heck I've ratted folks out at shows. I figure if they ain't decent enough to honor the show's rules they are (oops can't use that word) dumb enough to pull a loaded gun and try a holster out
Endangering MY life. So eff them.
Too many wannabees at shows
BTW what do you suppose the bonding is to put that show on?;)

I dont think I would ever rat out a ccw myself. Thats just me though, plenty are smart enough to keep it concealed for the show...

It can be a publicly owned facility. If it is leased or rented for a private affair, the affair then becomes private. This slops over including gun shows. An example ... There are gun shows at the Josephine County Fairgrounds in Grants Pass Oregon. I got kicked out of the latest show.

Refused to surrender my CCW revolver for zip tying open. I told them it was not loaded but concealed. No go. They needed to zip tie every firearm. No exceptions. I refused. I was kicked out. Never surrender your firearm. Their show. Their rules. They rented public property. Does not matter.

I am not a lawyer. Comments please? Respectfully.

The show is at the Sands Convention Center and it is no carry and always has been. Shot is also not a gun show. It is a trade show. There are no guns for sale there and there isn't much of anything to buy except on the last day when vendors don't want to send stuff home. There are a few things to buy but mostly not.

It can be a publicly owned facility. If it is leased or rented for a private affair, the affair then becomes private. This slops over including gun shows. An example ... There are gun shows at the Josephine County Fairgrounds in Grants Pass Oregon. I got kicked out of the latest show.

Refused to surrender my CCW revolver for zip tying open. I told them it was not loaded but concealed. No go. They needed to zip tie every firearm. No exceptions. I refused. I was kicked out. Never surrender your firearm. Their show. Their rules. They rented public property. Does not matter.

I am not a lawyer. Comments please? Respectfully.
I think its because you admitted (honestly, presumably when asked....) that you had a gun.
aFAIK, in Oregon they cant kick you out of a public building. They cant at a public school even if a private event, dont see why it would be any different at a gun show.

Koda: excellent distinction and thank you. I think the difference MAY be that if you attend a public high school basketball game at the public high school gym it is still a public event put on by a public agency, in this case the public school district.

In which case you could legally Oregon CC with license. It would not matter how many nasty or draconian "NO WEAPONS" signs the public school district posts. They have no rule of law. They can only ask. Not demand. State Statute trumps.

Now if that same basketball game is being put on at a private high school then does that private school have the right to prohibit all firearms? Private property? What if the away team is public? Would that matter. I dunno. Touchy situation.

I am not a lawyer. My opinions only. Respectfully.

Went to a gun show (probably my last) yesterday at a public facility. The usual "No Guns" signs were up. Nobody asked if I was carrying and concealed does mean concealed. The only way my weapon would have come out of the holster is if it was needed.

That said, it may be a moot point going forward because everything was routinely priced at retail and above. Remington R1 1911 for $1100, 9mm ammo for $13.00, etc. The real kicker was an AR-15 optic that was supposedly $200 list price, but show priced at $139. A very special deal just for me, because I'm presumably "special" was a further discount of $10 to $129. I stepped a couple rows over and searched for it on Amazon and found it for $100 with free shipping. This is kinda the last straw after buying a case of .22LR last year that were 25% duds.

I've got another perspective I don't think was mentioned yet. Guns are not allowed to be brought into the event space so they know you didn't steal anything from any of the exhibits.

I agree with the other comments about people showing off their carry guns. I could also see someone who didn't pay for a both at the show going around and showing off a product they carried in.

It's most likely "safety" and their insurance company wants not live ammo there. With how many times all of those guns got dry fired, I would hope someone wouldn't be able to accidentally grab a loaded mag. Day 1 is a range day so everyone should have gotten time to shoot them if they wanted to.

Went to a gun show (probably my last) yesterday at a public facility. The usual "No Guns" signs were up. Nobody asked if I was carrying and concealed does mean concealed. The only way my weapon would have come out of the holster is if it was needed.

That said, it may be a moot point going forward because everything was routinely priced at retail and above. Remington R1 1911 for $1100, 9mm ammo for $13.00, etc. The real kicker was an AR-15 optic that was supposedly $200 list price, but show priced at $139. A very special deal just for me, because I'm presumably "special" was a further discount of $10 to $129. I stepped a couple rows over and searched for it on Amazon and found it for $100 with free shipping. This is kinda the last straw after buying a case of .22LR last year that were 25% duds.
It seems wool socks are the best deal to be had at gun shows these days lol

Remember, it's not a traditional "gun show" It is for the trade only. Also, I saw Las Vegas Metro uniforms that had duty weapons holstered. (one Glock, one M&P) Lastly, I'm somewhat conflicted. Generally, people in the business you'd think would be very responsible, but that's not what I saw. I got muzzle swept constantly.

I believe the property owner is the party insisting on the no weapons carry policy. I think they even require that firing pins be removed from display guns. (That's unconfirmed)

With how many times all of those guns got dry fired, I would hope someone wouldn't be able to accidentally grab a loaded mag.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), owner of the show, "No personal firearms or ammunition allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors will be permitted on the show floor."

As others have mentioned, people tend to be cavalier with their gun handling at gun shows. People are not in duty mode or range mode where they know they have to make sure they are being safe. They're in shopping mode. They're more focused on fondling the firearm than keeping its muzzle pointed in a safe direction. Sadly, the gun handling at SHOT Show is even worse than typical gun shows because many attendees "know" that the firearms do not have full, working firing pins.

Honestly, even if people want to be good about their gun handling, they typically end up flagging others simply by grabbing a firearm from a display rack since the show is very crowded.

The rule to keep out loaded firearms from the venue is akin to us making sure we do not have a loaded mag in the area when we are working on a firearm or practicing dry-fire. If they are in proximity, it's easy to make a mistake.

At the show, people get lulled into complacency as they go from one booth to the next handling firearm after firearm. Pretty soon people are pulling triggers on guns they have not cleared. That kind of thing puts people in the wrong frame of mind when they are carrying a loaded firearm.

There's a reason a common fact pattern with negligent discharges at gun shows often involves an off-duty officer, his loaded concealed carry handgun, and the guy trying a new holster. When people are at gun shows, they may get distracted by what they might buy and forget their training.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top