Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Shot out glock barrel 10 inches at 10 yards

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by ZS27, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ZS27

ZS27 Wilsonville OR Active Member

My gen 2 glock 19 accuracy is all over the place cleaned and inspected the barrel and found half the rifling is literally missing. Took a bullet and dropped into barrel and it falls past the chamber into the rifling. My buddy and I can not find any reference to shooting out a glock barrel and the only knowledge of this pistol is it was a law enforcement trade in. We didn't think this was possible. Uploading two pictures one of the shot out rifling barrel and one of a 19 gen 3 barrel with 1500 rounds through it for reference.

20160608_000513.jpg 20160608_012323.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. ZS27

Here is a pic of the bullet past the chamber
    IMG_20160608_013803427.jpg

3. Tikkakoski

Tikkakoski Member

I was with him to witness the carnage. I've never seen anything like this before... it's actually kind of beautiful.

Riot, tlfreek and ZS27 like this.
  4. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

shooting steel bullets? On the plus side you can replace it with a threaded barrel

clearconscience, Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.
  5. Tikkakoski

Tikkakoski Member

That was kind of what we were thinking. I've only ever seen ar15 barrels do this with steel case. Never a glock lol...

ZS27 and Joe13 like this.
  6. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Nope this isn't normal!! Even for anPoloce trade in.
    Contact Glock, they will want you to send it in to them. I have seen a couple Glock's that have had 25,000 rounds thru them and still running like a top. Same original springs and everything.

If you have any trouble. Let me know and I can send it in for you.

7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

If a lot of cheap ammo was shot thru it then that could possibly happen.

Just watched a video on bear, TulAmmo and wolf ammo. The guy lightly scraped the copper on the bullets with a file and you could see steel under it.

His opinion was that using that ammo would wear down the rifling grooves faster then a better manufacturer that used more copper and lead.

AndyinEverson and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. AMT

AMT Vancouver, WA. Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Glock 19 LE trade in? Do you know how many rounds have probably been through that thing? Also, LE's have been "rumored" to train with +P and +P+ ammo. (This is from an ex-LE that lives a few houses from a buddy of mine)

With that being said, how many rounds do you think have been through it?

9. ZS27

To be honest this pistol looks like it was hated its entire life. It has rust pitting on the back of the slide and the rear sights are pitted out 20160602_202539.jpg 1465400273895-1131873845.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  10. ZS27

I thought about buying a new barrel but that turns my $300 dollar gun into a $400 dollar gun. I have also thought about sending it to Glock but I'm worried that they'll just replace the frame with a gen 3 frame and I hate that generation of frames that's why I bought a Gen 2. Plus this thing when I picked it up was probably the most disgusting pistol I have ever cleaned

11. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You should advertise this Glock on Armslist for $800.00 as a special rare, hard to find model that can hit two targets side by side at 50' while aiming at either one.

12. ZS27

Haha right I want to just troll glock forums for sensitive glock owners who say you cant wear out a glock barrel

nwwoodsman, Pops1911, Dyjital and 2 others like this.
  13. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Sounds like your stuck with a brick or buying a new barrel.

14. ZS27

Also the part where the barrel goes through the slide is literally oblonged this glock has had a rough life I ended up contacting them and they said to ship it in which I did so I am curious what I will get back.

Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.
  15. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

In all my years I have never seen a well cared for Glock with a worn/shot out barrel! Berettas, 1911's Glocks, SIG's...........nary a one with this kind of trouble! I guess it could happen, but I would think it would be like the others, wearing the outside parts like the slide and bushing surface and causing the barrel fit to loosen up. At least the 1911 has a replaceable bushing! My guess is with the issues you have, the whole thing will need serious work to get it back to specs and I don't have any idea what Glock might do. I bought a LE trade in Beretta 92 several years back and it had supposedly been rebuilt back to oem specs, but apparently that didn't include a new barrel, so I feel ya! That $300 Beretta ended up costing almost what a new one would have! I hope it turn out for ya!

16. JimmyB62

JimmyB62 Washington State New Member

Some of the primers from so called "green" ammo had a reputation for essentially sand blasting barrels. Some LE agencies were required to use the stuff and I personally saw more than a few barrels that looked like smoothbores. Some only had a few thousand rounds through them before they were toasted.

I never saw a Glock barrel after using lead free primers and don't know how the polygonal rifling is affected. Traditional rifled barrels had a more even looking wear than your barrel and was worse toward the chamber. Anyway, it's just a thought.

17. Murphy

Murphy Oregon Member

I believe GSSF is at the Chehalem Valley Sportsmans Club this weekend. They will have Glock employee armorers there. They will be able to take a look at it and rebuild/replace worn parts (not the frame, slide or barrel) for free. Might be worth the trip to Dundee if you have the time.

18. ZS27

Thank you for the info the gun is on its way to glock already

19. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

The only folks that I have read about that have seen glocks fail were armours at a police range
    "Oh I've seen them fail..... " yeah after 100k rounds:D

20. ZS27

I am curious what glock will do. Once I hear back from them or get the gun back I will definally post it

erudne and Larrytpdx like this.