JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
how does case trim effect bullet seating? col.

If case trim is to long and OAL is right on after bullet seating , wouldnt that mean that your bullet was seated to deep by what ever amount (my case was .003-.004 to long) the case was of by ? Just an uneducated guess here. Been looking at taking a reloading class at some outfit down in Salem real soon.

oal is mesured from base to tip of bulet if it to long it get up against lanz-rifling and creates presure . you chek for presure by looking at primer and case head . my theory i believe is wrong to when fired it should have formed to your chamber

then when you fired it should have reformed it to your chamber i hope i didnt lose you to bad
you should find out what is wrong before proceeding take a case to you gunsmiththat has been shot with the buldge

This is hurting my head. The longer trim length would allow the case mouth to crush the bullet in the chamber neck. This would indeed raise peak pressure a whole bunch. To the degree that you are having problems with the reloads and not the factory ammo. The chamber of a rifle has a shoulder at the end of the case neck. Past this shoulder is a little free bore and then the rifling. The reason you must trim cases, is you do not want the case mouth to hit this shoulder. When it does, it acts like a wedge forcing the case neck onto the bullet with great force. The bullet firing, must over come this resistance. This takes much more pressure to do this, resulting in pressure problems. This condition is independant to case OAL. I have never seen a buldge in a case shoulder. I would like to see a fired case also. I have put dents into a case shoulder, by using too much case lube. But you would see this after sizing. When a case is fired in a chamber it expands a few thousands and then shrinks back down, but not back to pre fired size. When you run it in the sizer die, you are bringing it back into spec. I would think, to buldge a case shoulder you would have to distort the chamber when firing. But the perfect factory cases, tells me the chamber is fine. John

Quote from OP;
"When loading I used the following as per Hodgon's load tables. New, never fired Winchester cases,ran them thru resizer die. "

I dont see how running NEW brass thru a resizing die would or should affect OAL unless the shoulder was reformed making the case longer and then the pressure would push the shoulder back out making buldges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top