JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I loaded up 8 rounds (.243) & went "testing" today, I was very careful and took my time doing this. Read 3 different books & watched 2 different cd's. When loading I used the following as per Hodgon's load tables. New, never fired Winchester cases,ran them thru resizer die. Checked case length and adjusted as needed,Primed using CCI Lrg rifle primers, Loaded w/41gr of Varget. Bullet used was Nosler 55gr spitzer ballistic tip. First one fired showed what i would call excessive buldgeing in the shoulder of the case, 2nd same results. I STOPPED there. Had some factory rounds w/me also, fired those & they look fine. One thing I did notice was the factory cases were not chamfered, I did chamfere mine as per RCBS recomendations. Any ideas out there as to why this happened or what I might have done wrong ? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

a bulged shoulder is pretty odd. This is in a bolt action, correct? Have you chambered any of your loads and ejected them without firing them? Did the cases show any distortion? Is the primer bulged? Is the firing pin impact a dimple or a crater?

What was your trim-to length? How did you trim the cases?

Pics would help.

a bulged shoulder is pretty odd. This is in a bolt action, correct? Have you chambered any of your loads and ejected them without firing them? Did the cases show any distortion? Is the primer bulged? Is the firing pin impact a dimple or a crater?

What was your trim-to length? How did you trim the cases?

Pics would help.

This thread is useless without pics. ;)

i would pull a couple of your rounds you saved then:

1. rezero you scale.
2. reweigh/verify the charges
3. weigh/veify the bullet weights for the charges used.
4. w/one of the empty cases, reseat (dont crimp tho) one of the bullets to the depth you used and see how the empty case w/bullets chambers. does the bullet get pushed back or? after you retract the case?

pictures would help tho.

btw, i looked at my Hogden book and didnt see any loads for the 243 WSSM, 243 Winchester yes, but no WSSM.

:s0122:

Close up of the shell and the crimp area would be good.

But a bulged shoulder sounds like too much pressure. Causes is too much powder, wrong primer (magnum insead of standard). Most manuals suggest decreasing the powder charge by 10%... Did you do that?

243 (WSSM) and 240 Weatherby Mag. No load data for a 55gr. bullet..but I did find this link..

http://gunsandammomag.com/cs/Satellite/IMO_GA/Story_C/.243+Varmint+Loads

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.varminter.com/particles/5mmcraig.html
Using Crimping Shoulder - A crimping shoulder is built into the seating die, ... carefully examine cases after firing for evidence of excessive pressures. ... new primers fit loosely, bulging of cases, cases becoming difficult to extract, etc. ... Loading Tips. Case Trimming & Deburring. To ensure best accuracy and ...
www.varminter.com/particles/5mmcraig.html

Last Edited:
Was the shoulder really where you saw the bulge, or was it the base just above the extractor groove? For a shoulder to be distorted in an outward manner confuses me, unless the sizing die was really set too low. If the brass was sized in a small base die (or something close to that) then I wouldn't be surprised to see some expansion at the base. When I full length size my 30-06 cases I see a bulge. If I neck size only, it comes out of the chamber looking just like it went in.

I think that the previous responses are also full of excellent ideas. Especially the one where you are asked to double check your scale's zero and re-weigh your powder charges. I've used an RCBS inertia puller for quite a while. Looks like a plastic hammer. Pretty cheap and it works well. Doesn't distort case or bullet, either.

One other thing, when using new cases I've never resized them. Just double checked the length and ran. The factories don't resize a case after they make it, either. So by comparing a resized cases properties to a new factory load's properties is kind of like comparing apples to oranges, especially if you are using a different brand of case.

Last Edited:
I think that the previous responses are also full of excellent ideas. Especially the one where you are asked to double check your scale's zero and re-weigh your powder charges. I've used an RCBS inertia puller for quite a while. Looks like a plastic hammer. Pretty cheap and it works well. Doesn't distort case or bullet, either.

Bimart has them for $18, I use one now.

Set up a Photo bucket account. Free and easy. (if I can figger it out, anyone else can!)

If you can do that, then then me and the rest of the peanut gallery can at least look and say, "Oh".:)

I would pull it and check your powder weight in all of them and measure the cases again. Check your headspace as well. But like everybody else said pics will help a great deal. Good luck. Also make sure your scale is working properly as few grains gain make a big difference.

Scott

Cant say I have ever had a bulge on a case shoulder ever.....chamber should prevent that from happening but with enough pressure I suppose brass could be forced upward to the shoulder to cause a "bulge", but it would be very slight...

Problem solved , it was a pressure issue. Case length was found to be .003 - .004 long (stupid mistake) which meant bullet seating was to deep , creating the pressure problem.

be sure to measure your cases AFTER they are sized,not before.This could be where you messed up.
glad the case took the brunt of the abuse and not the rifle and shooter.You're living right ,or just plain lucky.

how about this two things that would buldge the neck to tight of crimp -buldged because of force in the seating or crip die or buldge when you closed the bolt im guessing the problem maybe you set your seating die wrong and gave it excessive crimp

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top