JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
And it absolutely sucked! We had 4 stages. I chose to start on stage 4 to get to shoot before the wind picked up. It was the only stage that had targets past 70 yards. The stage only required a shotgun and rifle.
The day started off terrible, I started with my 870, shooting Winchester super X shells. On the 3rd shot it was really hard to pump the shotgun, 4th shot was the same, only I got it to pump but it ripped the rim off of the shell. Threw the shotgun in a barrel ( I didn't get to engage 8 targets with bird shot and 2 steel at 65 yards with slugs). Switched to the rifle for the 2 close paper targets and 10 steel ranging from 100-375 yards. It started off good with the rifle until I got to the last target, a 12" plate at 375. By this time the barrel was nice and warm and I could not hit the plate, looking back I should have started off on the long shots.
The rest of the day went the same way with the shotgun, I was able to engage 2-4 targets before the extractor would jump the rim, leaving my shotgun useless and 10-15 targets not engaged.
On the last stage someone let me use some federal shells and the shotgun ran great. The only time I had fun was on the last stage when the shotgun worked.
Big lesson learned today, check all equipment with the ammo that I'm going to be using for a match (like I do with my pistols and rifles)
I think I will stick to steel challenge and USPSA matches for a while.

How much did the day end up costing you?
Entry fees were $40. 100 rounds of .223 ($30), 100 rounds of 45 ( $15).
It was one of the more expensive matches as far as entry fees go. Most USPSA and steel challenge matches are $12-$20 and 150-200 rounds of pistol ammo.

I've found that those Super X shells jam just about every time in my 870. I've read that it's because Remington doesn't do a very good job on polishing the chamber.

I've found that those Super X shells jam just about every time in my 870. I've read that it's because Remington doesn't do a very good job on polishing the chamber.
I sold the other 3 boxes of super x shells I had last night. I also polished the chamber a little. I will probably take it out Wednesday and shoot some steel to see how it does.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top