JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this has been posted, but things like this are a good reminder. Remember to always educate friends and loved ones about the importance of gun safety, even to children. What age? As soon as they can understand.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2010/02/glens-story-cautionary-tale-for.html

I take gun safety very seriously. I've never had a ND, and I owe it to my father for teaching me gun safety repeatedly since I could talk (retired OSP). However, being around firearms for 24 years and owning several myself, I've noticed I have become comfortable around them. Its that comforting feeling that makes me uncomfortable, because I can remember a day when it wasn't just the training that kept me safe, but the fear itself.

What keeps me sharp is knowing this...handle firearms long enough, and it's not a matter of IF, but WHEN. You WILL have a ND at some point in your life. The question is, when it happens, did you follow the proper procedures?

Be safe everyone.

Mine wasn't a shot to the chest but a very very near miss to the center of my head,
While on a duck hunting trip to the WA coast years ago with two friends, I was napping in the back seat on the way home. Feeling the car slowing down and turning around I started to sit up. As i sat up I asked what was going on, one of my friends replied there where ducks in the nearby slough. Turning my head to right to look, suddenly there was a huge roar pass my left ear and smell of powder.
My friends' sat in the front seat not looking back at me until I tore into them will all the Longshoreman's and logger's language I knew. The two of them then turned and smiled at me. Sitting there I had fluid running down the inside of my throat, nasal drip, ringing ears.
The driver told my other friend to load his double barreled 10 gauge shotgun in the car. When Mike closed the breech both barrels discharged, punching a nice hole above the rear window of a 1963 Impala.
Needless to say I highly Pi----off and was intent on doing bodily harm to my "friend" which I was talked out of by my other friend.
That shotgun was only a few months old and both the trigger safeties broke at the same time.
If I had not moved that 3 inches or so I would have taken that shot the head.

Redcap, did you make a full recovery?? Very sad to hear your story. I guess saying how it happened, might be a bit hard for you.

I don't want to get into 9 vs 45 debate, but I wonder the survival rate of .45 hits versus 9mm hits. Being shot even with a .17HMR is something I don't want.

Wow. Lucky guy to be alive.
If that muzzle had not been pressed against him he would have been dead.
His wife being there helped as well, good thing she is strong or he would have been dead for sure.

As to .45 survival rates, it's probably the same as any other round.
I posted a link to glocktalk a bit ago. The topic was gunshot wounds.
10 pages long but an interesting read.

I'm not bashing Glock's, but why is it that most ND's posted to the web involve a Glock?

Seems to happen to seasoned shooters and new ones as well.
Most I see are "went to clean the gun and thought it was clear"
There have been a few gunshot hand and leg stories at THR

To actually place the muzzle against someone and pull the trigger...:eek:
That is someone who has no clue, in the Army no less.

Pinch checking is to see if the chamber is loaded, not clear.

I'm not bashing Glock's, but why is it that most ND's posted to the web involve a Glock?

Perhaps Glock owners are willing to talk about it and others are not. In the armorers course our instructor said, "Glocks are not very tolerent of unsafe gun handling." That has stood out in my mind ever since. I love Glocks, own one, and they are a peasure to work on. I believe that any handgun is equally susceptible to having an AD, rather it depends on the shooter's aptitude to avoid causing it.

I have S&W M&P 45, like a GLock, no safeties. I double, triple, quadruple check. Yes, my gun is always loaded, even when I think to myself, its unloaded.

How this idiot could have pointed a real gun and pulled the trigger at his friend is beyond me. I never have met such a stupid person in the last couple years I have been around guns and if I did, he would not be any friend of mine. If he wants to play cowboys and indians, let him go to a paintball facility or use waterguns. I will never be around a person who will point a gun in my direction. If its an accident fine, but it seems this guy was fooling around. What person keeps his finger on the trigger while aiming near his friend??! I was taught from day one, finger goes on the slide until your ready to kill something.

WHen I havea gun out, I always announce I have a loaded gun and I want to unload it, even if the person doesn't care. And, I do so very carefully.

I pray to God I never grow complacent.

On another note, I was told the shock experienced from a .45 HP would incapacitate a person more than a hit from a 9mm. I guess maybe this is what they are referring to as "knock-down" power?

I think that it's more that you have to pull the trigger during the take down for cleaning.

Most will go through the motions of dropping the mag and FORGET TO RACK THE SLIDE, then pull the trigger and, BANG, their washer has sprouted a new hole.

Um, aren't all guns always loaded, or at least treated as such? I know mine are.

Not that it's a competition but I don't think many people here could come close our member "Ding", he was shot 7 times with an AK and then bayoneted in Vietnam, his opponent wasn't as "lucky". ;) I've seen the scars!

Um, aren't all guns always loaded, or at least treated as such? I know mine are.

All guns are loaded, even the ones that I personally have unloaded in front of you. Because you never know if the bullet fairy came and left you a present in between the time I showed clear and you took possession. (2 seconds):D

Redcap, did you make a full recovery?? Very sad to hear your story. I guess saying how it happened, might be a bit hard for you.

I don't want to get into 9 vs 45 debate, but I wonder the survival rate of .45 hits versus 9mm hits. Being shot even with a .17HMR is something I don't want.

Yes, I recovered fully. It was a case of wrong place/wrong time and mistaken identity all wrapped into one.

Thank God that you cw009 and redcap are both alive to tell your stories. I assume cw, you are a police officer, I think I read your story on another website, unless it is another officer who had simliiar experience.

We really have to be careful in this day and age, life is precious and as the story of the crippled soldier tells us, no matter how big, strong and healthy we are , in just one second, we can become a weak parapledgic, or dead.

I will repeat, any person who points a real gun at me, joke or not, will no longer be my friend. If it was an obvious mistake, that is one thing. But, a man who is trained in the military, who carries a loaded firearm, doing that to me, that guy I will never be around, unless he is totally unarmed, or just not at all, period! A person who carries a loaded firearm, better take some gun safety classes or just know the rules or that person should not possess a gun.

I made it my duty before I even attempted to carry a loaded firearm to ask people about all the safety precautions and I even encouraged them to yell at me if I did something even slightly stupid. Well, lo and behold, I was yelled at a few times and I will never forget what they told me.

The one thing I'm surprised he doesn't know better about is about the myth of "knock down power". No gun is going to knock you down unless it has powerful enough recoil to knock down the shooter too.

Knockdown power is a myth according to the experts, but your statement above is also a myth. Momentum, mV, is what's mirrored, not kinetic energy 1/2mV**2. The recoiling pistol and the exiting slug carry away the same momentum (in opposite directions) but they do NOT leave with the same energy. And it's energy that matters - It's the conserved quantity and it's what does the damage.

I took a .38 to the right shin when I was 19 and dumb with the aid of a derringer. 6 months later I picked up two .22's from right out of the sky during squirrel season that hit me in the upper right thigh. Had they been hollow points the doc said I would have never made it out of the woods. One round went in and hit the bone, the other slipped between the bone and the artery.

If I am handling a gun, I check it myself. If i set it down and come back to it, I check it again. If I hand it to you and you give it back, I check it again. Take no chances....

I took a 150 grain 270 win. round to the left leg at point blank range in a hunting accident. A gunshot does not hurt right away, honestly the first sensation I felt was extreme, extreme, heat. It felt like someone had just branded me with a red hot poker clean to the bone. The round came in at an upward angle hitting my femoral vein nicking the artery missing the bone. If you have ever gutted a deer after a meat shot that is what it did to my thigh. I lasted abut 10 minutes, long enough to tell my brother some first aid instructions and tell my 7 year old goodbye. I woke up 10 days later surprised. A hand gun 9mm 45acp 38spl carrying less velocity may not feel the same but that is how it was for me. After a few minutes the pain then came in spades but by that time I was basically not with it enough to feel it for very long. Sometimes you have to just accept Gods grace.

ElkFish.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads