JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
While building a HD gun, what advantage is there to cutting a barrel down 18" to 20" rather than purchasing a barrel originally built to those lengths.
I ask only that I read in another thread someone who does a lot of conversions opting to this.

There's no "advantage". If done properly, a barrel cut down from the "standard" hunting lengths of 26"-28" will be the same (functionally) as an 18"-20" from the factory.

Perhaps the person just finds longer barrels cheaper than the shorter ones, or it's a hobby for them and the enjoy cutting down barrels.

There's no "advantage". If done properly, a barrel cut down from the "standard" hunting lengths of 26"-28" will be the same (functionally) as an 18"-20" from the factory.

Perhaps the person just finds longer barrels cheaper than the shorter ones, or it's a hobby for them and the enjoy cutting down barrels.

Long barrels are easy to find and cheap because most people want a tacticool shottie.

I personally think an 18-20" vent rib looks mean.

The difference of using a 28" vs 18" hunting is the overswing and ability to stay on target.

For home use... zero difference besides portability.

The trouble is on many 870's the vent stand offs do not fit 18 or 20" On my three long 870 barrels to cut them down at the stand off would make like a 19.5" barrel or an illegal one without a Stamp. So you have more barrel then a 7 round mag fits and less then a 8 round mag works with.

I bought my $100.00 20" (no vent rib) and I like it. best Jack rabbit gun I ever had.

The trouble is on many 870's the vent stand offs do not fit 18 or 20" On my three long 870 barrels to cut them down at the stand off would make like a 19.5" barrel or an illegal one without a Stamp. So you have more barrel then a 7 round mag fits and less then a 8 round mag works with.

I bought my $100.00 20" (no vent rib) and I like it. best Jack rabbit gun I ever had.
Good point, sure would look funny with the rib cantilevered out there into space.

Oh and before someone asks NO you can not unsolder a rib. Remington uses some magical welding process to molecularly fuse the rib to the top of the barrel. You can how ever GRIND it off then throw the warped barrel away. LOL

Factory 18 and 20-inch barrels can be had in different fixed chokes other than CYL. Shops like Wilson Combat (Scattergun Technologies) cuts long barrels down to their desired length. do it how ever you like.

While building a HD gun, what advantage is there to cutting a barrel down 18" to 20" rather than purchasing a barrel originally built to those lengths.
I ask only that I read in another thread someone who does a lot of conversions opting to this.
The advantage is money. If you cut it you save the dollars to buy a new barrel. That's about it.
If it's a expensive shot gun it would be kinda dumb to cut the barrel. Now my cheapo Maverick,I didn't much care.
I just went to the first stand past the legal 18" and hit it with the grinder. Looks just fine. And I'm sure it will look fine to a burglar or a grouse :D

I shoot skeet all the time with my 18" police barrel on my 11-87. I sent it in and had the barrel threaded for a win-choke and it tightened up the pattern quite nicely.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top