JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed something on my 10.5" AK pistol. When I fire it really fast, sometimes the fired case won't eject. Sometimes it will but it wont chamber a new round. Sometimes it chambers a new round but doesn't fire it (primer has an imprint, thinking its a hammer follow?)

This happens a a lot when firing from the hip or "bumpfiring". Its rare that I can squeeze the trigger fast enough to reproduce it and it runs pretty reliable otherwise, however, I try some drills and stuff and fast deployment exercises where I bumpfire and practice my aim and then It hangs up like that!?

I'm not sure what this could be but since this thing isnt even throwing the cases half the distance of my other AK that runs 100% flawless, I would assume its not enough gas? How would I fix this? Opening up the gas port in the barrel? Weaker recoil spring?

Shorter dwell, less gas pressure cycling force.
Like mini 1911's, it must do the same operation in less time and less energy applied.

Your experiencing a rifle version of limp wristing a pistol.

Without the solidish surface of your shoulder, the action and free movement of your arms under recoil cancels out the reward momentum of the bolt causing it to short stroke.

Einstein was onto something with that whole reaction thing.

As for the trigger being dead on a chambered round, that's hammer follow, your bumpfiring is to fast! The trigger got depressed faster than the gun could go into battery. If the trigger was dead, yet it cycled and loaded another round, chances are you simply outran the bolt while bumpfiring. Some binary triggers have this issue, esp ones without any mechanism to prevent the trigger going off before returning to full battery.

That's why I always cringe when folks put binary triggers on AR9s as you are riding the fine line of having an out of battery discharge. That's another topic though.

How about... an AK pistol isn't supposed to be fired from the shoulder? :D But yes, I was thinking too that I outran the action. How come my other ak doesn't do that?

How about... an AK pistol isn't supposed to be fired from the shoulder? :D But yes, I was thinking too that I outran the action. How come my other ak doesn't do that?
Which part, short stroke while hip/bumpfiring or the hammer follow?

Chances are your other Ak would have similar hammer follow, it might not. The AK pistol might have a faster cyclic rate than your other gun, so it is more prone to having hammer follow during bump fire.

The other Ak is likely heavier due to a stock and longer barrel and such, more mass helps the action cycle when no solid surface is available like your shoulder. The pistol being lighter needs more stability to cycle.

Possibly under or over gassed. In your case, more likely under than over gassed - especially if it is one of the Century Arms pistols. Also, as mentioned, 'limp wristing". If you can put a brace on it and shoulder it (not intentionally of course, only by accident - wouldn't want the ATF to get excited) then you can remove that factor.

There are adjustable gas pistons on the market.

Well..... but its still fun from the hip. I try to train some accuracy when hipfiring...

IMG_20191121_135152.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads