JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Change timeframe to bump classified ads?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Proposal to the mods to let members bump their classified ads more than once a week. I think this site gets enough traffic now to warrant this. For example, I have a handgun ad only 3 1/2 days old, already on page 5....I bet most folks don't go more than a few pages...

The other forums I'm on allow bumps 24-72 hours. Maybe we can try every 4 or 5 days?

The way I see it is that bumping ads sooner will just bury them faster. And cause sellers to have to bump more frequently to try to stay on the first few pages (more effort). I guess I just don't see the benefit. I would rather not have more frequent "bumping" as the "bump" posts seem all too frequent already. Seems to me it's the number of listings and not the bumping that is the issue. Maybe by opening more categories in the classifieds (revolvers, semi-auto pistols, shotguns, rifles - all separated) and therefore fewer listings in each group would help.

I agree with coupeowner. Reducing the bump limitation would just create a faster arms race. Pun intended! It would also make harder to catch peole bumping their friend's ads as well. Essentially most of the frustration could be resolved if people used the search function more often while browsing for a specific firearm

The way I see it is that bumping ads sooner will just bury them faster. And cause sellers to have to bump more frequently to try to stay on the first few pages (more effort). I guess I just don't see the benefit. I would rather not have more frequent "bumping" as the "bump" posts seem all too frequent already. Seems to me it's the number of listings and not the bumping that is the issue. Maybe by opening more categories in the classifieds (revolvers, semi-auto pistols, shotguns, rifles - all separated) and therefore fewer listings in each group would help.

Great idea!

...or, separating by state lines. Honestly, I normally only care to buy from Oregon sellers. Main reason to buy used is to avoid xfer and BG check. I always filter out non-OR residents, and face to face.

I voted for 72 but only for one reason. I am not going to bump an ad with no changes to it more then once a week anyhow.

If I list something I want to get sold I might start at a slightly high price. If I have no hits I will lower the price every couple days till it hits "current market value" (what someone actually buys it for). If I make a change I would like it up where people see it and I dont want to take 6-8 weeks to get it sold...........

If YOU bump sooner, and everyone else bumps sooner, aren't your ads gonna end up in the same place anyway? If I'm looking for something specific (like a Glock 26 in Oregon right now) I'll do a search for that, which will show ALL the ads that have that description in it.

If you feel like you need to bump sooner, just don't post a picture, don't tell WHERE you are, don't tell what caliber your gun is, or don't post a price.:cool:

Or just set up a "sockpuppet" account.:s0112:

If you feel like you need to bump sooner, just don't post a picture, don't tell WHERE you are, don't tell what caliber your gun is, or don't post a price.:cool:

Come to think of it the only think I'd change in the classifieds is have a form where the seller HAS to post.
Price
picture
Without this info the ad doesn't get posted. I suspect this lacking info is where most first day "bumps" come from, which ends up pushing ads WITH all that info further down the page.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top