JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to upgrade the scope on my new (to me) 30-30 lever. I'm figuring it will get the most use in the pucker brush of western Oregon. I wear glasses and finding the sweet spot with a scope super quick is a pain. But I don't really want to just go iron sights. What are my options with a budget of a couple hundred?
Does anyone have an opinion? (ha!)
Riko_O

IMHO- I would recommend the scope style as linked in Rick Benjamin's post above, in particular a Bushnell or Leupold AR series 1.5-4x20 or 1.5-6x20 type scope. Effective for close to moderate range, and designed for "snap shooting".

Here's a Leupold AR 1.5-4x20 on my 6.8SPC AR15.... It's nice for brush hunting and "snap shooting".

null_zps91a9dfa6.jpg

Last Edited:
I want to upgrade the scope on my new (to me) 30-30 lever. I'm figuring it will get the most use in the pucker brush of western Oregon. I wear glasses and finding the sweet spot with a scope super quick is a pain. But I don't really want to just go iron sights. What are my options with a budget of a couple hundred?
Riko_O
Although it's about three hundred dollars, I have been happy with the Leupold VX-II 1-4x-20.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/99...0mm-duplex-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The quality is hard to beat, and they are a local company with a great warranty.

IMHO- I would recommend the scope style as linked in Rick Benjamin's post above, in particular a Bushnell or Leupold AR series 1.5-4x20 or 1.5-6x20 type scope. Effective for close to moderate range, and designed for "snap shooting".

Here's a Leupold AR 1.5-4x20 on my 6.8SPC AR15.... It's nice for brush hunting and "snap shooting".
Pretty much what a buddy put on his little Ruger 308 scout rifle.Kinda like this,
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...0mm-tube-matte-black-illuminated-reticle.html.
But he kinda has my convinced that Vortex' lifetime unlimited warranty is the way to go.
So if the dog eats it,it's replced

In the NW there has probable been more fixed 4x scopes on 30.30 then any other configuration, they work so well in all these trees. Just use your money and get the best glass you can afford.
Happy hunting.

My favorite solution is a Scout Scope configuration using a variable low power pistol scope with really long eye relief. I use a Burris 2x7 pistol scope, but there are others that are similar and cost a lot less.

It has worked well for me. Forgiving eye relief. Quick target acquisition. Large field of view. The scope is forward of the action so it doesn't interfere with the ejection of a case. Variable power lets me set it low when I need it, and high enough to reach out to the limit of the rifle.

With quick release mounts I can fall back to iron sights if necessary. Some setups you can still use the iron sights in conjunction with the scope.

There are scout scope mounts for many lever actions, and some now come with them already installed.

grizzly_custom_guns_marlin_39a_backpacker_lite_scout_1_640.jpg
AQ282141A095.jpg

I don't think you can wrong with either a good 1-4/1-6 or a red dot. If you are planning on shooting at say deer sized targets out to say 150 yards, i would say red dot all the way. If you think you might want to shoot smaller targets or just shoot it for fun at the range from time to time, a scope will probably make that more enjoyable. Please don't waste your money on a $70 scope though.

Riko_O
What exactly are you shootin'?
If its like a Winchester, where the cases come straight up when ejected, you can't cover the port, so you have to use a pistol scope, which is designed for a long eye relief, thus allowing you to mount the scope ahead of the receiver.
However, if your Winchester is "Angle Eject", or if you're using something like a Marlin 336, then a low power rifle scope will be fine.

So with that in mind, I have two suggestions...

1) Rifle scope - 1-4x. Any more magnification is just extra weight that you really don't need.
2) Pistol scope - 1.25x-1.5x power. Back in the 70's my dad and his friend did pistol scopes on their Winchesters. The friend did a 1X and couldn't see for bubblegum. Too little magnification. Dad ended up doing 2 X and couldn't see anything inside of 50 yards. Too much magnification. Thus, my recommendation. I've sighted through both of those rigs and feel less is more in this case. No more than the "happy medium" is required.

As for what make, exactly, I suggest any of the standards. Bushnell, Redfield, Leupold, etc. and watch for sales.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads