JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am not a gal but I do carry the 3" SP101 on occasion. My favorite holster is an IWB from AlienGear. I put full cant between front and back belt clips and it makes for perfect concealment and comfort. I carry it 5 o'clock which is more back than side.

I do think you will find the appendix position uncomfortable while riding. Your middle has to have flexibility and a hard object in your belt there would really limit that especially with a longer barrel, the cross draw makes sense since it wouldn't likely get in your way on the saddle, or even a standard strong hand side belt holster would do for that, the way the old cowboys used that position and seemed to favor it. If you have any place near by that you can go and try on some holsters that would be wise because buying cold turkey off the internet without knowing if it will work for you can be a real PITA to get straightened out. I also use the 4 to 4 30 position but it would depend on how tall the cantle is on your saddle whether that would work for you. Have you looked up Hickok45's holster videos? Great stuff don't make a decision till you have seen them both. Well I got them for you. Enjoy!

Google (https://www.google.com/?bcutc=sp-006#q=hickok45+holsters+101)

and IWB holsters here.
I don't know how it put up the video all I did was copy the URL and paste it here????
Gabby

Last Edited:
I do think you will find the appendix position uncomfortable while riding. Your middle has to have flexibility and a hard object in your belt there would really limit that especially with a longer barrel, the cross draw makes sense since it wouldn't likely get in your way on the saddle, or even a standard strong hand side belt holster would do for that, the way the old cowboys used that position and seemed to favor it. If you have any place near by that you can go and try on some holsters that would be wise because buying cold turkey off the internet without knowing if it will work for you can be a real PITA to get straightened out. I also use the 4 to 4 30 position but it would depend on how tall the cantle is on your saddle whether that would work for you. Have you looked up Hickok45's holster videos? Great stuff don't make a decision till you have seen them both. Well I got them for you. Enjoy!

Google (https://www.google.com/?bcutc=sp-006#q=hickok45+holsters+101)

and IWB holsters here.
I don't know how it put up the video all I did was copy the URL and paste it here????
Gabby
Thanks for the link, didn't see that one. I saw another holster video of his.
I don't know of anyplace that would let me try on gear at the moment, I'm new to the area and will have to ask around.
For riding, I was looking at Simply Rugged's "Silver Dollar" for something owb, they seem to have a lot of great reviews, even from an online friend who rides horses, and the SR holsters are dual strong side and cross draw so I can experiment.

...too bad those N82 "Professional" holsters (polycarbonate hybrid), don't come in revolver options.

I'll bet if you really wanted one they would special order it for you, but you could figure on paying double for it is my guess. The polycarbonate is simply formed by heating and pressing it around a male mold of whatever gun they want a holster for, the better equiped shops use vacuum forming the others use presses. A square foot of that plastic sells for about $12, and a sq ft of leather maybe $15 and they have the nerve to charge $65 to $75 for something they can kick out in 30 minutes. And buy the materials in bulk for less than what Tandy would charge for the kit materials. The bad part is folks are ignorant of what goes into these products, and willingly pay the price they demand. End of rant.
Gabby

Thanks for the link, didn't see that one. I saw another holster video of his.
I don't know of anyplace that would let me try on gear at the moment, I'm new to the area and will have to ask around.
For riding, I was looking at Simply Rugged's "Silver Dollar" for something owb, they seem to have a lot of great reviews, even from an online friend who rides horses, and the SR holsters are dual strong side and cross draw so I can experiment.

That is a cool consept and really makes for a versatile holster, you are really getting 3 holsters in one. If you do order one get the retention strap as well as the belt straps for IWB wear.You may want the retention strap when riding for that extra bit of security. a trotting horse can loosen your fillings at times much easier a gun in a holster. :eek:
I'd say go for it from just what I've seen here online. If you haven't already seen the buxom beautiies and theiy bitty guns here is that link too. They say it will fit revolvers too.

Gabby

My wife gave the bra holster a try, SHE HATED IT. Sweat happens in that place and makes things painful from all day wear. She also tried the thy holster, and while she liked it some what better, it still caused problems! The best was ether the IWB set up, or the shoulder rig! Now the broad belt is the choice because of the coverage and the fit with a nice dress or skirt, and no need for a coat or other cover! Some women like the bra holster, but I wouldn't go that way from what I saw! One thing I see in that video above, if you where a belt or have your top tucked, getting it will really slow you down when it really matters! JMHO

My wife gave the bra holster a try, SHE HATED IT. Sweat happens in that place and makes things painful from all day wear. She also tried the thy holster, and while she liked it some what better, it still caused problems! The best was ether the IWB set up, or the shoulder rig! Now the broad belt is the choice because of the coverage and the fit with a nice dress or skirt, and no need for a coat or other cover! Some women like the bra holster, but I wouldn't go that way from what I saw! One thing I see in that video above, if you where a belt or have your top tucked, getting it will really slow you down when it really matters! JMHO
I've heard of ladies sticking moleskin to the skin side of those flashbang holsters for that reason. While I have the, um, "shelf" to easily hide a good sized gun there, I already dismissed it due to often carrying a baby on my left hip and that gun is muzzling my baby if I should need to draw it. With a thigh holster, the way I'm built in my hip/thigh area, I would have to rotate it so the gun was on the outside of my thigh, as the curve of my hips creates a "shelf" over the outside of my thigh, if you can picture what I'm saying, but I really don't think a thigh holster would work on me if I was holstering the gun on the inside of my thigh (plus I would probably have to get a much lighter, "mouse gun" for that type of carry than an sp101). For a skirt and a night out with hubby, I wouldn't be bringing baby and so one of those hip huggers from Can Can Concealment would be the "when I'm going on a date/wearing a skirt" holster I first give a try. I don't really have non-skirt, full dresses that would disallow on-the-hip/appendix carry. But hubby is out of state for a few months on a job assignment at the moment so that won't be the first holster I'll be getting, lol.

Gabby, yes, those Simply Rugged holsters have great reviews everywhere I read and I have even gotten a somewhat personal recommendation from an acquaintance who also rides. And the fact that i can use it three ways is also very attractive, especially for the price. And yup, I would be ordering it with the iwb and hammer straps.
On plastic products and prices, my husband majored in plastics and engineering of such so I get an earful on how cheap and easy that stuff is to make whenever he sees something overpriced that is made of plastic, lol.

Dark, loose, longish shirts. Not tucked in. That's the ticket. :)

Why stick with an SP101? It's not the ideal carry piece. Lots of small 9mm's and 380's out there.

Dark, loose, longish shirts. Not tucked in. That's the ticket. :)

Why stick with an SP101? It's not the ideal carry piece. Lots of small 9mm's and 380's out there.
It is one of many guns I have rented and tried at the gun shop (I've already put in a few hundred dollars trying out different guns), both semi-auto and revolver. My favorite was the GP100, but concealing that is not going to happen with my short waist, LOL. The SP101 was my second favorite and still shot it really well, and is the general "all arounder" that I am going to start with. It's mainly for woods carry with the ability for concealing if I need. I prefer revolvers for woods carry, and also for appendix carry (I prefer revolvers in general). I will eventually get a lighter gun for EDC.

Woods carry, go OWB and open carry. That's fine in Idaho!

For difficult CC situations there is always something like the KelTec P32, that you could stash anywhere. Not much of a cartridge or fighting gun but a heck of a lot better than going unarmed. I call it, "What you need if you are not carrying a gun." :) I also call it the "no excuses gun", because people no longer have any excuse not to carry because it is so light and small. And cheap too.

I inherited an SP101 from a relative when she went into the FBI years ago. It was her carry gun when she lived in Florida. Of course, she got a lovely Sig from her company...
She use to mostly bag carry the SP101. I don't like carrying a revolver so i never really got anything beyond a couple of Uncle Mike's type holsters for it. The Versacarry zero bulk IWB seemed to work ok though. But bottom line though is that I'm not a revolver guy so i will pass this chunk of iron down to one of the kids.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top