JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My friend acquired some 308 cases and they are short. Don't know the history of the cases, and it looks like it has been reloaded. Anyway, they range from 1.8??-2.001" after resizing them. Is it okay to use? Hornady book says trim length to 2.005".

Also, how would you go about with unknown cases? Toss'em or reuse?

Thanks

Check the headspace measurement on the cases. If around 1.630 +/-.005, then all that matters is that you have enough neck to hold the bullet in place. I think I might want to discard anything much less than 2.000" myself but if the base to shoulder (headspace datum point) is close to your chamber size they should be no problem to shoot. If too short, case head separations are common.

Just make sure to clean the chamber well, paying close attention to the neck area as short cases can cause a longer carbon ring to form.

Remember, you are looking at "thousandth's". .005" is not that much.

The 2.005 Figure is the "Trim To" length. MAX Length for SAAMI Specs is listed as 2.015. If they are anywhere in the 1.985 or Longer range, they are Fine to use, IMHO. I just went to my "Library" and Pulled out an Unopened Box of 1966 Lake City MATCH 7.62 NATO, and Measured the Unfired Case length at 1.997.

The 1.8(Something) cases might be OK in a Bolt Gun, but I wouldn't use them in a Semi-Auto.

Brass is cheap. Eye surgery is not. I would not use any of the brass shorter than 2.000. I would be more concerned about the carbon ring that forms just in front of the end of the case, and then using brass that is longer. The carbon ring could cause excessive pressure by pinching the mouth of the longer case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top