JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have seen a few advertised Short Barrel ARs posted for sale EG; 10" barrel with 6" pinned flash hider to meet 16" law requirements"
What the piont of having a short barrel if it is going to be 16 inches overall anyways?

Just wondering if there is a clear reason that I cant see.

The benefit of some weight saving and added cool factor I suppose. Assume weight and maneuverability was the SBR's platform, but would be lost with added length (brake or flash)for NFA requirements. Youd think a negligible weight difference between a 5" flash hider compared to 5 Inches of barrel. Some do look impressive tho.
A sacrifice of longer range would not be a concern in close quarters and big mean looking flash hider might help some change their mind. :)

Yup, and a little length too. A typical 16" AR comes in at about 17.5" including the stock flash hider. Some guys will trim 1.5" off the end and then pin or weld the hider on so that they are compliant. Unless you shoot pretty long distances you won't notice the slight drop in velocity, and now you have a shorter, lighter gun. Not quite an SBR, but you don't need paperwork for it. But yeah, a 6" flash hider is a little ridiculous. Mostly you'll see 14.5" w/ pinned flash hider.

There's always SHTF too. Stay legal with an ugly piece of metal on the end of it. Then if anything crazy happens, well...

Shorter barrels combined with heavy projectiles can keep some calibers sub sonic.
Add a pinned/soldered flash hider that's threaded for a suppressor and your only paying for one tax stamp, not two.

I am not a fan of of short barreled 5.56/.223 rifle with a barrel length less than 11 inches. Under that length the wound channel producing capabilities fall way short of anything impressive. And 5 or 6 inch flash hiders look sort of dumb IMHO as well. If you're going to go with a short barreled rifle why not go with a pistol caliber one? All the ergonomics of an AR but with pistol ammo.

I am not a fan of of short barreled 5.56/.223 rifle with a barrel length less than 11 inches. Under that length the wound channel producing capabilities fall way short of anything impressive. And 5 or 6 inch flash hiders look sort of dumb IMHO as well. If you're going to go with a short barreled rifle why not go with a pistol caliber one? All the ergonomics of an AR but with pistol ammo.

Thats actually what I'm doing right now. 9mm 7.5 inch barrel. Sent the stamp off in November, and playing the waiting game for now.

12.jpg

CAR.jpg

Built this one 8 years ago.....retro-ish look and weighed 6 pounds....

Shorter barrels combined with heavy projectiles can keep some calibers sub sonic.
Add a pinned/soldered flash hider that's threaded for a suppressor and your only paying for one tax stamp, not two.

IMHO I would never put my suppressor on the end of a threaded 6" tube/flash hider to save $200 dollars. To me it is asking for a baffle strike.

IMHO I would never put my suppressor on the end of a threaded 6" tube/flash hider to save $200 dollars. To me it is asking for a baffle strike.

I think he meant a permanently attached suppressor......

Eta...10" barrel + perm attached 6" ( or whatever as long as it's over 16" ), = one stamp gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top