JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, it's late on Christmas night and my mind is churning away with an idea for a future rifle build.

I'm looking at a lightweight and compact (e.g. a folding/collapsable stock) suitable for deer/black bear/antelope down to predators and varmints that could be used in a pinch for elk. This would be used in backpack hunting scenarios with the ideal of bringing a single gun that could handle the larger game, but also would work on smaller targets of opportunity without ruining a lot of meat - even on the smaller critters.

I'm obviously considering the .257 Roberts Improved at the top of my list, but in reading on it, it appears that with the 115gr bullets it goes beyond the 2.80" OAL for Remington short actions. And I'd theoretically like to stick with a short action, but if it's a long action, I'd just go with a .25-06 and call it good.

That said, another option is the .25 Souper (aka .257-08) quasi-wildcat. In hopes of getting the cartridge more room to work with on larger game, I'm considering going the completely custom route and giving it a 40 degree Ackley shoulder. The shorter 51mm case should ensure that even the longer, larger 115gr bullets will fit in the mag just fine, while still allowing the lighter weight 75 grainers.

If I decided to start really throwing away my money here, what would be the process of all this? Seems the brass situation is simple enough: neck down .308 or neck up .243 brass, then shoot to fire form, but the expensive part would be a chamber reamer and dies right?

WOW why make this so complicated

Hunting bear with less then a 7mm bullet and a lot of speed is IMHO not a good idea.

Hunting Elk with less then a 7mm bullet is not a good idea for most the calibers out there

A barrel that will stabilize a varmint weight bullet and a one that's pushing the limits of the cartridge is not likely.

Its not the size of the magazine that is the primary concern for bullet length it is the twist rate in the barrel.

Hit the rabbit in the head you don't loose any meat. Hit a squirrel in the arse with a .22LR and you have goo

Why aren't you considering a 7mm-08 Brass is easy to make from .308 it uses 7mm bullets which have excellent BC (Ballistic Coefficient) can be loaded with 120-175gr bullets

Why aren't you considering a 7mm-08 Brass is easy to make from .308 it uses 7mm bullets which have excellent BC (Ballistic Coefficient) can be loaded with 120-175gr bullets

The 7mm-08 would be my suggestion as well. Get a barrel with an intermediate twist rate and go from there. With some load development you'd have near the rifle you're looking for. IMO, you're not going to find any caliber to successfully harvest game from a squirrel to a bear and possibly elk. If you want to take smaller game, find a revolver in 22, 22 mag or 17HMR.

I own and use a .257 Roberts. Ive reloaded and hunted with it for close to 40 years. It is my favorite bolt action deer rifle. With that sad, Id never consider using it on an elk or big bear unless I had no choice. Another vote for 7-08. Plus ammo is pretty easy to find in a pinch, at least compared to the Bob.

The Souper is a VERY mild tempered cartridge. Google the name Rocky Raab, has TONS of load work and info about the cartridge. RCBS has/had dies on the shelf at a few points in time. I'm definitely NOT in the "use a 7mm for elk" crowd, but the 25-06 bullet selection is poor for that animal, IME. Bullet placement becomes VERY critical. I've had mountains of heavy bullets in the 25-06 fail to open on heavy deer. So I think the "In a Pinch" for the Souper is a slippery slope...

That said, for Deer it is very nice, and absolute cancer on coyotes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top