JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw this again today. Some scum-wad white anus in a black hoodie. Walked away from the Fred Meyer self-pay stations with the attendant running along behind him. The scummer got to the door minder, determinedly looked straight ahead and easily got by him. The minder at the door said "stop" a couple of times, the scummer replied, "You're harassing me." Nobody lays hands on these people. I've read about the plague of store thieves in Seattle. This is the second time I've seen it at this particular store in the north end. Later, I talked to the door minder about it. He said it is store policy to let them go. He also allowed that management has informed him that it is cause for dismissal if a regular store employee attempts to block or restrain any such thief trying to leave. Including latching onto a cart should they be using one.

The stores fear lawsuit. By scummers who later claim injury of some sort, including "harassment." And, they fear for the safety of their employees, who might get injured in a fracas. And then they might sue the store. Imagine the ethics of a low-down shyster who would represent a scummer thief with a claim of harassment.

We don't have to wonder how the perpetually, professionally homeless get their supplies. This is a main method. They KNOW store policy; they KNOW they aren't at much risk of apprehension or detention.

Fred Meyer does have "loss prevention" agents working in their stores, I think maybe two or three per big store. They can detain. But they are up in the attic watching monitor screens most of the time, not able to get out to the door to catch one with a big haul going out the door. The Fred Meyer in Everett used to have an off-duty EPD officer on duty 24 hours a day. I don't shop there much these days, and the times I have been there lately I haven't seen an officer around. Maybe they discontinued that presence, possibly due to the Covid virus thing. Meaning, the potential exposure of an officer to a scummer with Covid wasn't worth the merch. recovery factor.

You can't legitimately call such acts, "shoplifting." I've always thought that word was defined as covert or sneaky theft. What's going on with these scummers now is just out-right, brazen theft.

though, what can they do, even if he is caught.. then what? a few hours in jail? He is then released and goes and does it again. Most dont care if they are arrested..so there are no real consequences.

It's NOT only the store policy that "allows this".

IMHO the BLAME should be shared with.......
The cops who will not respond in a timely manner (too busy with other social work).
The DA who will not prosecute in order to please the lefty voters.
The Judge who will not pass any sort of a meaningful sentence to someone found guilty.
AND the voters who have allowed all of this to happen to Seattle, with their choices in elected officials.

Aloha, Mark

Yes, store policy only reflects the current reality. This is the end result of the often-stated "philosophy" that no item of property is worth a human life. As more people decide to go this route, stores will be shut down because they are no longer profitable.

That "philosophy" is in error, if you ask me. The correct way to look at it, is that deterrence of theft supports and protects a decent society. Not allowing the deterrence of theft destroys society, and also steals part of the lives of people who created the stolen item. The thief should be given the choice, "Drop those items or die." If he picks the latter, it should be ruled a suicide. Until courts and legislatures get back to a more realistic philosophy, life is going to get a lot worse.

Be glad you don't live in Kommifornia where they have increased the value of misdemeanors to $950. The police won't even bother with stuff like this even if you do call them. It simply isn't worth their time as the thieves will be back out on the streets the same day. And the thieves all know this. :rolleyes:

Yes, store policy only reflects the current reality. This is the end result of the often-stated "philosophy" that no item of property is worth a human life. As more people decide to go this route, stores will be shut down because they are no longer profitable.

That "philosophy" is in error, if you ask me. The correct way to look at it, is that deterrence of theft supports and protects a decent society. Not allowing the deterrence of theft destroys society, and also steals part of the lives of people who created the stolen item. The thief should be given the choice, "Drop those items or die." If he picks the latter, it should be ruled a suicide. Until courts and legislatures get back to a more realistic philosophy, life is going to get a lot worse.

This, exactly. A clear erosion of societal values. Letting people walk out of stores with stolen merch. unhindered just flings open the door wide to more crime. It's not just this, it's a lot of other so-called street crime. Failure to enforce only encourages more of the same.

Yes, I've read that there are some retail stores (before Covid came along) in Seattle that closed down because the loss rate was unacceptable. They couldn't afford to keep the stores open profitably. Realizing of course that rents and taxes are already exorbitant in the city; high loss rates from theft was the tipping point.

I hope nobody thinks they can walk into my home and walk out with my stuff, unhindered. That would be a mistake. I'm not threatening lethal force, I'm talking one-on-one with fists. I'm old but I'm not easy. I have a few ball-bats stuck in corners around here. He's not gonna walk out of here without resistance from me. It may only be stuff but it's my stuff. If he pulls a gun or a knife, then it becomes another story altogether.

I forgot to point out in my OP, the white puke in the black hoody was young. He's not gonna build up his Social Security credits living life like that. I guess when he gets to be 62, 65, 70 or whatever, should he live that long, he's gonna have to keep stealing because his SS won't be there. No, that's probably not right; he'll be on some kind of bogus disability long before that, and will be getting Supplemental Security Income. And income-based free Medicare. On the house.

What a maddening state of affairs.

Other thoughts re. Fred Meyer. Over the past several years, I've been noticing more and more passive efforts being made to deter theft. Some high theft items placed in locked cabinets. Mini cameras down certain aisles. Some small but relatively higher value items (example: cosmetics) with certain stickers on them thought to discourage theft. Magnetic strips on higher value items to set off door beepers, including these days, packages of meat! Which the scummers have been targeting heavily.

Other things the scummers like to steal, some "who knew" items. Laundry detergent, in particular Tide brand (gets sold to fencing operations). Razor blades and cartridges. Small items of over the counter drugs, like decongestants, pills and other crap, which they sell to middlemen who in turn sell them online at steep discounts. Same story for cosmetics.

One time I was back in the office area of a Fred Meyer. I happened to see a couple of completely filled shopping carts with weird stuff in them. One had taxable-type merchandise piled in it, mostly small things of cosmetics and various nostrums. The other was filled with empty packages of the same kind of material. I get curious about these things, so I asked a nearby employee. The cart with the merch. in it was stuff they'd taken from low-level, bumbling, amateur shoplifters, like mostly teenagers. Who'd gotten caught in the store. The second cart with the empty packaging, that represented stuff that thieves had removed the actual merch. in the store from, palmed it, and left the empty package behind.

Another time, I was in Fred Meyer and I observed one of the loss control agents in action. He was standing at a black end cap, peeking around the corner and down the aisle. Watching a shopper. When the customer would move to another aisle, the loss control guy would shift and watch her there. I didn't want to blow his cover and pepper him with questions but I knew what he was doing. So I know they do work out on the floor, all that camera watching upstairs no doubt compels them to come downstairs and actually nab a crook from time to time. That's what the cameras are for. I'm told these are the only employees in the store who are empowered to place hands on crooks.

When I was a little boy, my mother told me that the larger stores employed "floor walkers" to watch customers to make sure then didn't steal.

I saw this again today. Some scum-wad white anus in a black hoodie. Walked away from the Fred Meyer self-pay stations with the attendant running along behind him. The scummer got to the door minder, determinedly looked straight ahead and easily got by him. The minder at the door said "stop" a couple of times, the scummer replied, "You're harassing me." Nobody lays hands on these people. I've read about the plague of store thieves in Seattle. This is the second time I've seen it at this particular store in the north end. Later, I talked to the door minder about it. He said it is store policy to let them go. He also allowed that management has informed him that it is cause for dismissal if a regular store employee attempts to block or restrain any such thief trying to leave. Including latching onto a cart should they be using one.

The stores fear lawsuit. By scummers who later claim injury of some sort, including "harassment." And, they fear for the safety of their employees, who might get injured in a fracas. And then they might sue the store. Imagine the ethics of a low-down shyster who would represent a scummer thief with a claim of harassment.

We don't have to wonder how the perpetually, professionally homeless get their supplies. This is a main method. They KNOW store policy; they KNOW they aren't at much risk of apprehension or detention.

Fred Meyer does have "loss prevention" agents working in their stores, I think maybe two or three per big store. They can detain. But they are up in the attic watching monitor screens most of the time, not able to get out to the door to catch one with a big haul going out the door. The Fred Meyer in Everett used to have an off-duty EPD officer on duty 24 hours a day. I don't shop there much these days, and the times I have been there lately I haven't seen an officer around. Maybe they discontinued that presence, possibly due to the Covid virus thing. Meaning, the potential exposure of an officer to a scummer with Covid wasn't worth the merch. recovery factor.

You can't legitimately call such acts, "shoplifting." I've always thought that word was defined as covert or sneaky theft. What's going on with these scummers now is just out-right, brazen theft.
Perfect example of how attorneys run this country and how testosterone is a thing of the past in the coffee cities

You been living in a cave my friend? This has been the norm for more than few years. Wifey and I went into the "Gateway Freddies" awhile back. As we came in there was one o' them "scummers" heading to the door that LP was chatting with. Of course LP didn't wrest the over stuffed bags from the perp. He couldn't/wasn't allowed to. He wasn't allowed to because he didn't SEE him put the stuff in the bag. Not even allowed to ask for a receipt. We chatted with him briefly about the issue. Wifey deals with it every day being service operations manager at a major chain.

I don't know if YOU would remember, back some years ago, there was a HUGE dumpster fire started when Avel Gordly (local politico) had Fred Meyer security approach her just outside the doors to ask for proof of purchase of her items. She made a giants stink and there was a HUGE blow-up by the news. she's partly to thank for the issue in potland. Personally? Please ask me! I'd be proud to show my proof of purchase!

When the "scummers" steal stuff, the store has to make it up somehow. Guess what the most common response is? That's right, raising prices! You and I pay for the stolen merchandise when we buy something from that store, or it's Corporate brother.

Same issue at my work, a national big box hardware store. There is a very limited window where apprehension is allowable, but the burden of proof is so heavy on the store that we stop and catch MAYBE every tenth shoplifter, and then only prosecute when the totals are over a grand.

Other thoughts re. Fred Meyer. Over the past several years, I've been noticing more and more passive efforts being made to deter theft. Some high theft items placed in locked cabinets. Mini cameras down certain aisles. Some small but relatively higher value items (example: cosmetics) with certain stickers on them thought to discourage theft. Magnetic strips on higher value items to set off door beepers, including these days, packages of meat! Which the scummers have been targeting heavily.

Other things the scummers like to steal, some "who knew" items. Laundry detergent, in particular Tide brand (gets sold to fencing operations). Razor blades and cartridges. Small items of over the counter drugs, like decongestants, pills and other crap, which they sell to middlemen who in turn sell them online at steep discounts. Same story for cosmetics.

One time I was back in the office area of a Fred Meyer. I happened to see a couple of completely filled shopping carts with weird stuff in them. One had taxable-type merchandise piled in it, mostly small things of cosmetics and various nostrums. The other was filled with empty packages of the same kind of material. I get curious about these things, so I asked a nearby employee. The cart with the merch. in it was stuff they'd taken from low-level, bumbling, amateur shoplifters, like mostly teenagers. Who'd gotten caught in the store. The second cart with the empty packaging, that represented stuff that thieves had removed the actual merch. in the store from, palmed it, and left the empty package behind.

Another time, I was in Fred Meyer and I observed one of the loss control agents in action. He was standing at a black end cap, peeking around the corner and down the aisle. Watching a shopper. When the customer would move to another aisle, the loss control guy would shift and watch her there. I didn't want to blow his cover and pepper him with questions but I knew what he was doing. So I know they do work out on the floor, all that camera watching upstairs no doubt compels them to come downstairs and actually nab a crook from time to time. That's what the cameras are for. I'm told these are the only employees in the store who are empowered to place hands on crooks.

When I was a little boy, my mother told me that the larger stores employed "floor walkers" to watch customers to make sure then didn't steal.

In rereading my post it may have come off as me being snarky toward you. That was not my intention in any way shape or form. Honest. :(

Around this house there's is a "Nightly Story" many times of the thievery that goes on in retail stores these days. I've got some pretty strong feelings about the degradation of human behavior. It's truly depressing seeing how so many in this supposed "Civilized" society will literally utter an "FU, you can't do a thing to me" as they walk out the door with up to $200.00 worth of product in a bags/pants. And even more $$ in a full to the top shopping cart.

In rereading my post it may have come off as me being snarky toward you. That was not my intention in any way shape or form. Honest.

No offense taken. I've been jumped on this board much worse for little or no reason.

Being as I don't live in the Portland area, I wasn't aware of the Avel Gordly story. Walmart and Fred Meyer up here still have a door minder and stop people to check receipts. Inside the store. As a customer, it doesn't bother me to show a receipt. However, I have noticed that they profile whom they stop. Old, white guys like me usually just get a wave through. But I understand profiling, too. It's about using limited resources to do the most good. It's a simple application of force (figuratively speaking) where it's likely to be most effective. Of course, if you are in that group identified for profiling, you might suspect other reasons and resent the reality of it.

Checking door receipts is one tool they can use against theft but it only works for certain kinds of people. Mainly for the ones who might be tempted to slip stuff unpaid in with paid items. These customers aren't likely to be runners or ignorers. They are more likely to be less bent than brazen thieves. They are not apt to be prosecuted because they can claim the unpaid stuff was a mistake or whatever. The customer doesn't get prosecuted, the store doesn't lose merchandise.

Crooks will even try to con the customer service counter employees. A couple examples I'm aware of. (1) Customer buys new microwave oven, takes it home, tries to return their old, dead oven in the new oven box. (2) Customer buys cans of house paint, takes home, uses paint, then tries to return paint cans to customer service filled with dirt.

No offense taken. I've been jumped on this board much worse for little or no reason.

Being as I don't live in the Portland area, I wasn't aware of the Avel Gordly story. Walmart and Fred Meyer up here still have a door minder and stop people to check receipts. Inside the store. As a customer, it doesn't bother me to show a receipt. However, I have noticed that they profile whom they stop. Old, white guys like me usually just get a wave through. But I understand profiling, too. It's about using limited resources to do the most good. It's a simple application of force (figuratively speaking) where it's likely to be most effective. Of course, if you are in that group identified for profiling, you might suspect other reasons and resent the reality of it.

Checking door receipts is one tool they can use against theft but it only works for certain kinds of people. Mainly for the ones who might be tempted to slip stuff unpaid in with paid items. These customers aren't likely to be runners or ignorers. They are more likely to be less bent than brazen thieves. They are not apt to be prosecuted because they can claim the unpaid stuff was a mistake or whatever. The customer doesn't get prosecuted, the store doesn't lose merchandise.

Crooks will even try to con the customer service counter employees. A couple examples I'm aware of. (1) Customer buys new microwave oven, takes it home, tries to return their old, dead oven in the new oven box. (2) Customer buys cans of house paint, takes home, uses paint, then tries to return paint cans to customer service filled with dirt.

Profiling is generally frowned upon as some people can claim it is "racist", however here in the Seattle metro area the most likely type of person to be shoplifting is a tweaker-looking white guy dressed like Fred Durst.

For me, I loathe going to Fred Meyer and Home Depot. Those both seem to be hot targets for these scumbags. The FM and HD in Everett have EPD presence, and often there is an EPD surveillance tower in the south end of the FM parking lot.

What really annoys me isn't so much how terrible people are these days. People have always been terrible. I get upset about ever-increasing taxes, ever-increasing social justice rhetoric saying all of the scumbags are, in fact, actually "victims" whilst the local government looks to screw us ever harder.
ST3 keeps ripping us off.
They'll defund the "police" but I bet not ONE will be a motorcycle cop.
And so forth and so on......

I wasn't even jumping on you. In ANY way. :s0155: I'll tell ya', living amongst this is getting to be a pain. It changes a person. A sort of PTSD "light" I imagine. I feel like the lucky ones living outside this don't quite get what it's like to be immersed in it every GD day!

You mention not bothering the old white guys....Somewhere around 20 years ago, when they still saved, and sometimes, put pictures up of shop lifters, wifey was at work looking at the book of thieves one day. In there, she saw one of the old ladies, AND her sister, that I did all her yard work every week. They were stealing wine! :s0140: Bringing their own store bags in, and claimed the bags were for their dogs doo. She didn't have a dog. Granted the biggest problem is with younger scummers, but shoplifting was always a good number of poor old lonely people that figured the world owed them something. Wifey is going on 23 years at that store. She's seen a few things.

Be glad you don't live in Kommifornia where they have increased the value of misdemeanors to $950. The police won't even bother with stuff like this even if you do call them. It simply isn't worth their time as the thieves will be back out on the streets the same day. And the thieves all know this. :rolleyes:
Yeah That's how they got their crime levels to drop/
what horse bubblegum.
Only in the PRK...:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR