JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What happens if you shoot a gun underwater? I remember seeing something in Glocks website that they sold to make your 9mm work better underwater or something. What do the SEALs do? I see these pictures of "military" guys in swamps, neck deep in muck with their M-16s or whatever. Dosnt seem like it would work very well.

I just finished my Glock Armorers course on Wednesday and this question came up. Yes Glock sells parts that will alow the gun to function better underwater. However, they do not recommend doing this and as such they will only sell those parts to a PD and only on the PD's letterhead...individual armorers cannot even get those parts.

The second part of that discussion was that nobody should be firing under water because of the pressures involved....besides when is anyone besides maybe special ops guys going to be needing to shoot underwater.

I didn't see a reason anybody would need to.

Now that you've said there may be no need...

How many sleepless nights have you had where the midnight excursion seemed necessary to help cope with lack of sleep? You load up the Glock, scuba gear, K-bar, gas mask, bowling ball (and bowling ball bag of course), and head out into the remote swamps of Oregon to track that elusive jackalope that has been eating your wife's azaleas for the last three weeks. The first step into the swamp proves perilous, and you slip on a Mossy Oak® log only to find yourself in over your head in eel-infested, crocodile abundant, pirhana filled, ex-KGB waters!

A glimmer from the corner of your eye gives you only a split second to react, drawing your uber-underwater-Glock-inator you acquire your target rushing at you from underwater using high-speed turbine backpack units and the newest high-tech spear gun with laser and built in range finder/bullet drop compensator. Two quick shots at 27.5 meters at the evil ex-KGB (who's in therapy to deal with his issues btw) and the tracer-armor-peircing-incendiary rounds from the uber-Glock, one center of mass and the other in his left ear (you flinched due to the pirhana coming at you from behind that you saw with your 360 degree night vision underwater goggles) quickly send the KGB dude to the briny depths of this nasty swamp!

Job well done :)

Then you wake up and realize you're sleepwalking through the Willamette River and the pirhana was really just a giant brown-eyed-trout.:s0112::s0114:

I had a friend in my younger days who was duck hunting with his father on a cold northern Minnesota morning. He had an old Western Field (Nobel Arms) 12 gauge pump and they were in a canoe floating near a reed bed. My friend stood to shoot at incoming mallards when he lost his balance and nearly capsized the canoe. He caught his balance but not before the barrel of his shotgun was in the water and he squeezed his finger in the process. The last few inches of barrel burst in a most spectacular fashion! There was a LOT of pressure dissipated in a short time. Only my friends pride was hurt. His dad gave me the shotgun when I offered to dispose of it.

I took it home, hack sawed the barrel to 18 1/2 inches, filed the rough edges, and painted the metal parts with an ugly free-hand pattern of black and OD green Rustoleum. I later tied it to a tree and fired it few times with the help of a long string to see if it was going to blow up. It didn't and has been one of my "tactical" shotguns for the past 40 years. It runs just fine although it won't win any beauty contests - and nobody would give me $5 for it.

My understanding is the Glock needs a different spring (lighter I believe) to accomplish this un-needed ability. I know an AR type rifle will most likely explode the receiver due to gas pressure. I also know that it doesn't take much to blow up a shotgun barrel if its obstructed. Gas Piston or like type operated rifles do a better job of operating after being submerged, but not neccesarily while underwater. The only gun I know to be able to fire underwater (that wasnt meant to shoot underwater) is the FN F/FS2000, most likely due to its nearly fully enclosed action and piston driven gas operating system.

My $.02

All I have to say is: jeddedia you have to much story writing time!!! And I thing it would be a spear drop compensator lol. Anyway, thanks for the info. I won't be shooting underwater anytime soon!

A bare bones stock firearm works the best. Glock, 1911, sig, 22 auto's don't cycle. Glock makes a maritime spring cups forallowing water to pass around the firing pin easier and it helps but is not required. When shooting under water the pressure in the gun and outside the gun is the same since the water is inside and outside the gun.

Sounds right. Hey, I'm not an expert...more of a hobbiest if you will:cool:

Even if the gun can handle the additional pressure, the bullet wont go farther than a few feet. How many milk jugs filled with water will a 9mm go through? Not many.

Are you speaking from first hand knowledge?

In my experience, a Glock 17 firing underwater will penetrate 3/4" plywood with no problem at 10'.

Are you speaking from first hand knowledge?

In my experience, a Glock 17 firing underwater will penetrate 3/4" plywood with no problem at 10'.

Yup, but admittedly it was all JHP stuff. They did not get far. Most of mine looked like this guy, who had similar results. Even his +P stuff only went through one 12" jug and into the next, but not out. So penetration between 12" and 24" doesn't make a good case for firing JHP underwater.

In any case, this is an interesting read

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top