JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always had both eyes open when shooting, but I wasn't taught to do it. It just came naturally.

I think maybe I'm really right eye dominant, and that's why it's easy for me to do it.

Sorry I don't have any tips, I'm sure there's lots of folks here who do though!

I shoot with both eyes for situational awareness. Also I feel my eyes are not strained by closing one eye.
I would suggest practicing with iron sights if you have them. Use a large rear aperture and practice (even in your house) aiming with both eyes open at shorter distance so they are used to the same focal points. Then practice with a scope.

I use an ACOG and a IER scope. Both are 4x so for me its easier to focus with both eyes. I don't have much experience with higher magnification (except Bradley Fighting vehicle single lens optics which I still aimed with both eyes open). Hope this helps.

I try sometimes. Takes effort considering I'm cross dominant so I end up wanting to focus on a hillside rather than reticle. Getting better

Both eyes.

I have a grandson that is left-handed but right-eye dominant. His accuracy improved when he switched to shooting like a right hander [at my insistence].

It depends on what I'm shooting. I was able to learn how to shoot handguns with both eyes open after being taught to shoot with one eye closed as a child. Now it's instinctive. With iron sights or a scope on a rifle I still close my left eye, unless it's an SBR (or pistol with brace) and then it's both eye balls open.

Both eyes.

I have a grandson that is left-handed but right-eye dominant. His accuracy improved when he switched to shooting like a right hander [at my insistence].
I too am left handed...and right eyed dominant....shooting long guns right handed also has the benefits of controls being set up for right handed use....shells not flying in your face or down your shirt....
Hand guns I still shoot left handed....weird I know...:D

Oh and as for the original question...
Both eyes open....unless I am training for night time shooting...then both eyes closed....:D
Andy

I shoot with both eyes for situational awareness.

This for me. I started shooting as a youngster with one eye squinted shut. Probably was told to do it thusly. Then one time, I just started shooting with both eyes open and discovered that for me it was easier, plus gave me a better view of what was going on around me. Gives you a much better impression of what's in front of you as situations change. It's kinda amazing that a person can tune one eye out and concentrate on the other. But the tuned-out eye is still functioning in a non-focused way.

:s0155:

falling[1].png

Both eyes open

Theres a test you can do if you if you dont know which eye is dominant. My ex wife couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and it took us forever to figure it out. She was R hand, L eye dominant. Once we got that straightened out, all it took was some training. She shoots AWESOME now!

Glad we're still best friends..........

I started doing it so long ago I can't remember when. I "unlearned" the close one eye as soon as I thought about how I would not want to be in a defensive shoot with one eye closed. I don't remember it being too hard to get used to it and now it just comes natural.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top