JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We were shooting at 6" steel targets at around 10 yards. So yes, that was bird shot. In a two day training class, most of the shooting is with light loads... it's a lot more manageable on the pocketbook not to mention the shoulder.

But plenty of time is also spent with 00 buck and slugs.

We think the ideal load for this weapon is #4 buck. But shooting 00 and slugs really isn't difficult if you know how to manage recoil. I even shot some 3" magnums...I didn't find it challenging.

Last Edited:
I really like when some one brings a pistol grip only shotgun to the range. I make my firearm safe,. step back and watch the tough guy shoot the shotgun and hit himself in the face with the recoiling shot gun and get a bloody nose . It makes my day. Nothing better.

I really like when some one brings a pistol grip only shotgun to the range. I make my firearm safe,. step back and watch the tough guy shoot the shotgun and hit himself in the face with the recoiling shot gun and get a bloody nose . It makes my day. Nothing better.

There's a big difference between a regular pistol grip and the birds head grip that you see in the video. Standard pistol grips are punishing and difficult to shoot well...which is why they are mostly good for hip shooting and wasting ammo in the side of a hill.

The birds head grip completely changes this. With good technique it's very easy to make hits and own any target within 10 yards. A PGO shotgun isn't as versatile as a stocked weapon, but within its niche it is a devastating weapon. It will allow hits at speeds and circumstances where a pistol shot would be a miss.

Of course it requires practice. One has to know how to handle recoil. It's not for those lacking upper body strength or those too lazy to learn how to shoot it.

Dismissing a weapon system based on poor execution of the design (pistol vs birds head grip) and/or poor technique is short sighted.

Needs a lot of work on counting rounds and remembering if it has a round chambered or not before pulling trigger. More than once I heard a dry fire, not good in a defense training or real life situation.

Or maybe, just maybe, conditioning yourself to immediately rack the shotgun and or transition to the pistol is exactly the kind of training you need for real situations.

Counting rounds is not going to happen in real life. ( maybe you can, but no one that I know who's been in a real gun fight has ever been able to accomplish it And $hit happens in bad situations. Malfunction, empty gun, bad ammo…it happens no matter how good you are. Conditioning yourself to immediately act when you hear a click instead of bang is actually very good training for real life. Might be that those clicks are intended to be in the drill on purpose ....

Only one perfect person ever walked this earth. And I don't think he posts to this forum.

For me personally, when I'm drilling I light load all mags and NEVER count how many rounds I load into each. It keeps things interesting and makes me have to do mag changes and such without knowing how many rounds I've fired. TBH I don't ever count how many rounds I've fired. I've got enough going on with grip, stance, safety and speed to even try and keep count.

My hat is off to the guy who can count rounds during a gun fight.

There is not a lot of mental capacity left over when you are focused on the things you should be during a fight. The environment, the people you're fighting with, constantly changing situation and reacting to it…

The status of your weapon is one thing you pay attention to, but that is most often recognized when you hear a click instead of bang.

My hat is off to the guy who can count rounds during a gun fight.

There is not a lot of mental capacity left over when you are focused on the things you should be during a fight. The environment, the people you're fighting with, constantly changing situation and reacting to it…

The status of your weapon is one thing you pay attention to, but that is most often recognized when you hear a click instead of bang.

This.

DID that guy just shove a pistol with a round in the chamber into his pants?
The way you stated that leads me to believe that you "Carry" with an empty Chamber. Having had "THE NEED" a few times over the years I have concluded that my Early Instructor had the right idea - Cocked & Locked - is the proper way and the way JMB designed the 1911 to be Carried.

Yes, I know "that" Pistol wasn't a 1911 but then I accept that others have seen fit to design other Pistols which are also Safe to Carry with a round up the spout!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It depends on what handgun or pistol I happen to be carrying as to one in or not.

I tend to carry a Bauer .25 auto (based on JMB baby browning) in which case since the safety on this striker fired pistol is not very positive I tend to carry it without a round in the chamber.

I also carry a Charter Arms Undercover .38 +P 5 shot revolver which is always fully loaded.

I almost never carry what would be considered a medium or full sized pistol unless hunting.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top