JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good evening, NWFA members!

Seeking advice on shooting suppressed, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP without failures. Having issues with several Glocks, Nielsen device is being used as recommended. Failures with Sig P320's as well, tho I've heard it's a more common concern with Sigs than it is with Glocks. Stock spring assemblies are being used, would it make any difference at all if a lighter spring assembly, or a heavier spring assembly is used? Are there other solutions? Firearms run fine without suppressor, not so much suppressed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

I gave up shooting a pistol suppressed. Too many changes/issues.

That said, the best luck I had was with a cleaned and greased booster running a VP9. My Glock gave me more issues.

If you have ran it on a fixed barrel it could just be caked up to the point it don't want to run in a pistol with the booster.

I've pretty much stopped running cans in pistols as I run them mostly on my carbines and they get so much build up that it becomes impossible to reliably run on a pistol without a very thorough cleaning.

If you have ran it on a fixed barrel it could just be caked up to the point it don't want to run in a pistol with the booster.

I've pretty much stopped running cans in pistols as I run them mostly on my carbines and they get so much build up that it becomes impossible to reliably run on a pistol without a very thorough cleaning.
I should add, this is on internal booster cans. If they can has an external booster assembly, it might not be this issue.

I shoot my pistols Suppressed exclusively. My 9mm M&P is running a 40cal weight recoil spring, and my Sig 1911 is running a Wilson 18lbs recoil spring. They both have thousands of suppressed rounds through them. They don't have stoppages for me. I clean the piston and spring after every trip or every other trip, and use slip2000 grease to coat both liberally for my Rugged Obsidian 45. Baffles I don't clean much, and the guns themselves get cleaned about every 500 rounds. Except the feed ramp if the 1911 gets a pinky finger wipe with lube every use. Glocks I hear can be more problematic suppressed, but I've never owned one. Extra back pressure from a suppressor will increase wear, carbon, and speed of the action. Using a heavier recoil spring keeps the beach locked longer for less blowback, better suppression, and better feeding as the gun gets dirty. You don't want increased speed to out run the magazines ability to move ammo up for feeding. Also you get less wear, and more reliability bringing the actions speed closer to unsuppressed. Hope that helps.

EE9364FB-35AA-4C6F-A071-283BBD053B38.jpeg

I've run my SilencerCo 45 Osprey with a variety of pistons on my 220, 226, M&P 9s and 45s, Taurus, FNX, 1911s, PPQ without any issue.
I put a dab of high temp white lithium on the spring now and then and scrub it occasionally with a toothbrush.
The only gun I ever had an issue with was a G19 where the mass of the can would occasionally stop the gun going fully into battery

Last Edited:
I do think this is probably a QC issue, and likely with the can. I run my pistols mostly suppressed and have for years - what you're describing hasn't happened on any of my platforms. I can't speak to Glock, though, because I don't shoot that platform.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top