JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most good steel targets warn not to shoot at them any closer than 10 yards or 25 ft for safety.

Depending on caliber you may want to stand further back.

I like steel targets, but I also like to get ones that are well made, solid, and have some down deflection to them to reduce chances of ricochet backwards.

But they are not cheap at all.

I watched some guy shoot some home made steel that was a bit too light and springy. It was at about 50 yds. He ended up shooting himself in the head. It can come back at you from a long ways. Make it stiff and allow it to pivot on a slight balance. They will still fly wild, but at least not straight back at you. Soft points are much safer also. Setting the plate at an angle similar to a bullet trap also works.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

I have a bunch of old 20 pound propane tanks, I have used them mainly for 22lr @30 yards and greater, they give a nice ring but even at 300 yards a center fire rifle will shoot straight through. I like the fly wheel idea. I have a plastic orange bullet cube as well, expensive and will not trap center fire bullets, creating a ricochet hazard

Sent from my BFD keyboard

A friend of mine uses an old flywheel. Hangs it on a chain, angled down a little. Great target, good response and very sturdy. Doesn't show any dings when we're done.

That would be a good choice, they are pretty hard when new and work harden through their useful life by the clutch, which generates a little heat with every application. And when the clutch becomes worn it produces a lot of heat. Not a close up target IMHO. Too heavy and if you don't get enough angle on it could come back at you!
I made my own hanging gongs out of 1 & 1 1/4" Scandia, an imported steel that, I am told, is an older armor for war machines. I know that high velocity ball ammo (.223-.308) barely scratches it. Welded chains to it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top